What's the best line for carp fishing

Welcome to Carp.com.

You will get loads of different opinions on what line, and other considerations you need to think about. Do you need a casting line, or a line suitable for dealing with snags, gravel and weed? A low visibility line in the water? 

All will give different answers.

General purpose lines I would recommend two of the cheaper lines, both of which have been around for a while, and are in my opinion better than many or even most more expensive lines.

The two lines are Daiwa Sensor in brown, or Gardner Pro Light or Dark blend.

hi Jason, welcome to the forum :lol:

that is a very good question, and one that will probably generate a whole host of answers.

line strength would be between 10lb and 15lb BS 'BUT' then you have the braid fan, the mono lover, the flouro aficionado etc, etc.

you also have anglers that will only use Solar, Korda, Esp, Diawa etc.

personally i use Esp Olive in 15lb @0.35mm, hook link material depends on the day. i love the stuff but that is just me.

good luck in your search :wink:

32 minutes ago, Jason lapworth said:

Hi all could l have your experience in what's the best line to use for carp fishing.

You need to figure out what's important to you fella.

- For distance casting go for a pre-stretched line (e.g. Fox Exocet etc.). They cast fantastically but aint so good where abrasion resistance is required.

- For general angling without too much weed go for one of the new low stretch/partially pre-stretched lines (e.g. Shimano Technium, Gardner GT-HD etc.) These cast well and have half decent abrasions resistance.

- General angling in weedy situations go for a traditional all-rounder (ESP Synchro, Gardner Pro etc.). Cast OK, nice and strong.

- Heavy weed go for a heavy line (Gardner hydroTuff, Rig Marole SLS etc.). Not so good for casting but you'd land a bus in a forest.

- If you want your line on the deck go for a fluoro. Again, not great casting, but the benefits are obvious.

There's no such thing as a line that will do everything perfectly (although the low stretch options are getting there). Think about what's important to you and go for the most suitable.

If you are looking for a cheap, reliable line you could do a lot worse than Daiwa Sensor. Probably the most popular line out there, a real "Jack of all trades". You could fill up three spools for peanuts and not really have cause to complain.

The "best" line? That's where it gets a little more personal and subjective.

For me? Shimano Technium Black. It has never let me down. Knots well, sinks well, casts well, has very little stretch, and is as tough as old boots. It's more expensive than others, (although some newer brands are catching up), but the best is worth paying for. If money were no object, and I could afford the very best tackle that money could buy, I guarantee that Technium Black would still be on my reels.

Edited by smufter

On 22/01/2018 at 15:19, salokcinnodrog said:

Welcome to Carp.com.

You will get loads of different opinions on what line, and other considerations you need to think about. Do you need a casting line, or a line suitable for dealing with snags, gravel and weed? A low visibility line in the water? 

All will give different answers.

General purpose lines I would recommend two of the cheaper lines, both of which have been around for a while, and are in my opinion better than many or even most more expensive lines.

The two lines are Daiwa Sensor in brown, or Gardner Pro Light or Dark blend.

Thanks