Fishing during high pressure

Lumeymorris

Guys I know a lot of you wouldn't leave the house to go fish when there's a real high pressure but due to work commitments I'm not going to get many chances to fish for the next 8weeks or so and I go back to work Wednesday so leaves me Monday Tuesday to get a 24hour session in but checking the weather there's a fairly strong westerly wind on Monday not to strong on Tuesday with a increase of high pressure just my luck now I don't want to not go just because of the weather says not to as there have been times before when the conditions went right and still done well if not better. So I was wondering if there were any carp anglers on here that do fish during high pressure and how you go about doing so..as th lake I fish is a well stocked commercial so there's always a chance.

I fish as and when and dont really pay that much attention to weather ,I personally feel less confident with a full moon but that doesnt stop me the same with high pressure, i would sooner it be low,  the only thing that will stop me is the lake being frozen,

Just go ,as they say "you wont catch sat at home"

I'm the same as I don't get many chances I take every chance as they come but wanted to know if there were some tactics that I could use to better my chance when doing so. As I did a post before and someone gave a real detailed comment on the pressure side and mention where the fish would more likely be throughout the water column I think he said that high pressure pushes them Down and if so would work in my favour being more of a bottom bait angler

Like most other anglers I don't choose the weather I fish in, and have to fish in what it happens to be.

Find the fish and fish to them wherever they may be.

Higher pressure in winter may give some sun, but dependant on which direction it has come from it may be a cold one.

In winter fish may hole up in tight groups, in a particular area year after year. It may be next to weeds beds, rushes, natural food, snags or gravel bars or plateau. This area may not be out in the middle of the lake, it may actually be right next to the bank.

Bait wise, I fish with the same food source boilie I have been fishing and baiting with all year, but on one rod (I can fish 3 on the Lagoons) there is always a hi-attract or boosted bait. My food bait produces most fish, but the hi-attract may produce a bonus, and is regularly recast to different areas to try to find other fish.

Other way round chap, high air pressure increases the weight of the water column bearing down on the fish, the deeper it goes, the more uncomfortable it becomes, fish the shallows, method feeder and maggot bunch and crossyour fingers, Zigs are another option but you got the wrong angler for advice on those, see Nige.

The sort of atmospheric pressure change typically experienced in UK only represents a hydrostatic pressure change of 2 cms. In other words a carp can feel the same effect of an extreme air pressure change by swimming just 2 cms deeper. i just thought I would put it into context.

The magic words "westerly wind" are all I'd need to be having a go. I'd be facing the wind and fishing down the edge with one rod, at least. More, probably.

Lots of sweetcorn loose fed. Our local Farm Foods do 1kg bags for £1-00 or three for £2-00. Corn on the hair, topped with a grain of fake.

Weather is forecast to be the warmest for the time of year since records began, whenever that was............

Get amongst them!

Ian

Well I went and managed to get a Christmas carp out on the bank after trying every method at my disposal I got on the zig as carp were showing but ignoring the bait then on my second to last cast I managed to land a 13lb common first ever capture on a zig will be using these again on my next sessions especially in high pressure. Hook bait was black foam

• 3 months later...

I know I've wrote about this before so apologies if I'm asking the same questions.

So with high air pressure it effects the carp in a way or another and pushes them up in the water column right? So zigs would be the way to approach the session?

But now with the high pressure again if its up in the 1030s does that mean that its to high or would you just see it as that the higher the air pressure the closer to the surface is where your find the carp?

And then with zigs in coloured waters would fish zigs on their own without any spod or glug/goo. Or is it more of a case of having to add attraction to draw them in due to visibility being less so as you need to get the other senses homing in on your bait?

I'm sure I read somewhere that above 1030mb is classed as extreme high pressure, however it seems to be a regular occurrence the last few years...

Higher pressure does tend to mean the fish are higher up the water column, the sunshine and clear skies associated with a high pressure system help as the water will warm up quicker. Fish tend to be off the feed during the day due to higher pressure but having said that I have caught fish off the deck in high pressure systems during the daytime. Zigs or fishing in the shallow water should see you right though.

13 hours ago, Lumeymorris said:

But now with the high pressure again if its up in the 1030s does that mean that its to high or would you just see it as that the higher the air pressure the closer to the surface is where your find the carp?

I'm not so sure the pressure itself dictates the whereabouts of the carp, it's the conditions that comes with the pressure systems. Periods of high pressure will (normally) see sunshine which will see the carp nearer the surface taking advantage of the heat. As soon as that sun goes down you're quids in for a bite off the deck towards dawn regardless of pressure, particularly at this time of the year when the water's still warming up.

It's different in winter. For long periods it's not comfortable for carp on the deck due to the coldest, densest water sinking to the bottom. Therefore they'll likely be mid water most of the time regardless of pressure, and that explains why feeding periods on the deck can be so short in winter.

13 hours ago, Lumeymorris said:

And then with zigs in coloured waters would fish zigs on their own without any spod or glug/goo. Or is it more of a case of having to add attraction to draw them in due to visibility being less so as you need to get the other senses homing in on your bait?

I really struggle for confidence with zigs in coloured water. By all means try methods to attract the carp, chances of a take without it are low IMO.

With 3 rods each we really need to be making the most of our options. I find, in general, in really high pressure you'll struggle for a bite in the day anywhere in the water unless a hatch kicks them into action. Zigs are your best bet though. Once the sun goes down you can get action on the bottom or on zigs until about 3 or 4 am, then it's all about the deck until 9 or 10 am. Then back onto the zigs.

• 1 year later...

it seems with this high pressure,  Carp are off the feed, whatever you offer them, I tried to brave the cold after sunset. They say there is a chance of a possible bite after dusk. Today .the carp were there. basking in the sun.  Jumping and grouping up. Tried Zig, deferent bolies and flavour. Even tried basics. Tried maggot topping, and liver. Nothing :-( Nice to get some sun!

Both mine, and my daughters pb's were caught on what were possibly the hottest days of the year, mid summer, at around noon. Not a breath of wind on either day, like a millpond. 
Both caught on bottom baits so just goes to show that even with the highest pressure fish do still feed.

I'm off to France in July, not the best time to be going. It will be high pressure, and common sense tells me to bring my rods in during the heat of the day to rest the swim. But experience tells me that one rod out might just entice a run.

Sorry, this is going to be a rather long answer on my favourite non-topic.

I am readily willing to accept that there is a correlation between change of air pressure and fish activity. I am as certain as I can be that change in pressure does not CAUSE that change in activity. It is vital to understand the difference between cause and correlation.

Science shows that a change in air pressure (atmospheric pressure) causes a corresponding change in pressure in the water (hydrostatic pressure). If you do the maths, a change in atmospheric pressure caused by a typical storm event only causes a small change in hydrostatic pressure equivalent to a few centimetres of water column.

What this means is that, even if a carp could detect that small change in hydrostatic pressure, it could not tell the difference between that change and a change caused by swimming a centimetre or two deeper or shallower.

Let me give you a true analogy. I live in a remote village in rural France with a very poor internet connection. I observed (the correlation) that, every time it rained, our connection became so slow it was unusable. It seemed obvious that the rain water was getting in somewhere and I spent a lot of time checking everything in the house to try and locate the problem. I eventually gave up and called out the telephone engineer.

I explained the problem to him and he just laughed. He said he did not need to do anything. Every time it rains, the kids in the village go inside and watch Netflix. This takes up all the limited bandwidth that is available. That is the problem.

Then he gave me his call-out bill!

So understanding the CAUSE is vital to interpreting the CORRELATION. Atmospheric changes cause all sorts of changes in wind, temperature, lighting etc. etc. And more importantly these may differ according to where you are. So what is true for say Essex is not necessarily true for mainland France where, in Summer, high pressure seems to dominate all the time.

In France I have had some spectacular catches with high pressure, bright sun, high temperature and no wind.  Best tip is to ignore pressure and watch what the locals do. It may not improve your catches but you will have some cracking barbeques 😉.

Edited by carpepecheur

11 hours ago, Capadventurer said:

it seems with this high pressure,  Carp are off the feed, whatever you offer them, I tried to brave the cold after sunset. They say there is a chance of a possible bite after dusk. Today .the carp were there. basking in the sun.  Jumping and grouping up. Tried Zig, deferent bolies and flavour. Even tried basics. Tried maggot topping, and liver. Nothing :-( Nice to get some sun!

Did you try any floaters , trout pellets , mixers etc ? .

If you did Capadventurer I don't know what more you could have done , and as you say you did enjoy the sun ! .

😃

• 1 year later...
On 29/03/2019 at 04:16, smufter said:

Both mine, and my daughters pb's were caught on what were possibly the hottest days of the year, mid summer, at around noon. Not a breath of wind on either day, like a millpond. 
Both caught on bottom baits so just goes to show that even with the highest pressure fish do still feed.

I'm off to France in July, not the best time to be going. It will be high pressure, and common sense tells me to bring my rods in during the heat of the day to rest the swim. But experience tells me that one rod out might just entice a run.

And that it shall my freind, i took a trip last june to france and it was 40 degrees + and the pressure was high carp were swarming the upper layers above the weed

I Could not entice a bite at all through the day only through the nite, tried zigs floaters bottoms pop ups wafters tigers maize corn boilee , in the weed on the weed in the silt on the silt clean bottoms u get the gist, but found a shallow clear patch about 3 rod lengths down my rh margin and just under 3ft deep and it produced multiple fish throughout the week through the day using a single grain of slow sinking maize and a pult or 2 of corn spread over it using 1 rod during daylight, take what u got and try everything i also had a double run on the day before the last day of leaving and they were both in around 2-3 ft of water in the margins using the same tactic and that was at the opposite side of the lake as i decided to make a move for the final night

Edited by CarpyC93