Whats the point in a bait runner reel?

Hi guys, i don't see the point in a bait runner, i think it looses you fish and makes you lazy. Yes i undo my front drag but only so it just lets line off so as to not pull rod in. I see people with these on their reels just so the alarm screams and looks good. I personally think you should be paying attention and not letting the fish run or run into a snag or weed anything else really

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

Hmmm. See I have baitrunners and I used to really struggle to understand the logic of bigpits where you're having to 'tighten up' manually. Now I would happily make the switch if I had the spare pennys. With my current baitrunners don't forget the drag is adjustable still, so I have mine set pretty firm most of the time. Then my regular drag is set so when the switch happens if the fish goes for it I don't have my arm pulled off it can take line. But I guess I sort of agree with you but just because of habit I think when I do switch it'll feel wierd for a while.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Personally don't see any difference between the two systems, both are adjustable.

There are some fishing situations where I would let the fish run away from me a bit longer. But thats more about knowing your lake subsurface.

Yes but whats the point? Surely its better to be in contact with the fish immediately than letting it run, what situation are you speaking of??

The systems have the same point they do the same job .

My local water got really weedy last year , I was fishing over the back of it . I found on takes going away from me picking up the rod & letting the fish run just far enough away from the bank of weed ,then lifting into it far better than pulling them straight into the thick weed while there still low in the water . If they decided not to head for the weed didn't see the point in pulling them straight back towards it an encourage them to do so .

Seemed to work for me Phil .

Bait runners are brilliant, not just for fishing but for a few applications, some people get on with front drag systems some people get on with rear systems. I use mine quite a lot, when markering it's quite handy just to clip open the baitrunner and pace out line, I presume it's just as easy with a front drag, I like em, doesn't make me lazy, some people like BMW's some like AUDI's, I've always found faffing around with a front drag a pain, a simple half wind of the handle and your into your fish.

Edited by Gazlaaar

my fishing is not all about sitting on my rods, tensed over and getting stressed over every little twitch of the indicators, its about relaxing and unwinding.

i dont knowingly fish snags either, for the most part when static i fish open water in the day and margins at night so yes i do rely on my bait runner to stop my rods going in. but then, thats just me :wink:

You have to bare in mind, some of the older anglers havent always had QD front drag systems on their reels, we had to wind up the front drag which on a couple of occasions I lost fish, I've had loads of bait runners over the years and always found I fished better, diawa regal, diawa emblem, shimano LC, shimano 10000, and now mitchell Avorunners. I have tried others, emblem s, wychwood riot and tfg ones, I just dont get on with front drag systems.

Edited by Gazlaaar

What you describe is the incorrect use of a baitrunner, usually by novice anglers. Having the baitrunner set so loose that yards and yards of line are taken with no resistance before the rod is picked up is just daft.

Unless fishing extremely close in, the baitrunner should yeild line but not so loose as you let the carp run for miles. it should yield line 'begrudgingly'. During the day when you are sat near the rods and awake, there is no need to yield much line at all...

My reels are bait runners .... but front drag :)

I use the back wind to play my fish with the front drag permanently set for the really big lunges.

Using your drag a lot imparts twist on your line .

I just find its what ever you've grown with, you do get line twist, thankfully I don't catch that many fish for it to be a problem lol

Just personal choice you not going to land more or less fish using one or the other. If you don't use a bait runner correctly you properly not going to use a normal reel correctly either you can use a bait runner locked up if need be. There no rule saying you have to engage the bait runner anyway. I personally prefer normal reels for carp but use bait runners for pike.

What you describe is the incorrect use of a baitrunner, usually by novice anglers. Having the baitrunner set so loose that yards and yards of line are taken with no resistance before the rod is picked up is just daft.

Unless fishing extremely close in, the baitrunner should yeild line but not so loose as you let the carp run for miles. it should yield line 'begrudgingly'. During the day when you are sat near the rods and awake, there is no need to yield much line at all...

So surely you'll be using the drag not the baitrunner for thar

I get it, they reinvented the wheel, so its a lever instead of a quarter turn or just so i can pull line off with some effort.

The reels people use for angling aren't all designed with carp in mind. Predators being a prime example where resistance in your setup can cause them to drop the bait.

Bait runners have been adopted by carp anglers but it's not the style of fishing they were originally designed for.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I just thought of something I do like about baitrunners, the visual indication that line can be taken. I consider myself a careful angler but I can just see me forgetting to loosen the front drag on a big pit at least once. At least with a baitrunner when my brain is not fully engaged I'd be likely to notice before its too late. What I've never understood is baitrunners where the lever is 'up' for off? That seems counter intuitive to me.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I just find its what ever you've grown with, you do get line twist, thankfully I don't catch that many fish for it to be a problem lol

the reason I chose my current reels is I've always had bait runners/ free spool systems. Having a rear bait runner but the advantage of the smoother front drag compared to rear drag systems which are by design a bit clunky suits me perfect. Like you say it's just what you prefer .

We had to buy the bait runner conversion kits for the older reels, I was using rear drag and bait runner reels before I moved into carp fishing, so it just stuck with me :)

My fishing buddy like pram hood bibles, I like brollies, both do the same job, I think we just all have our own way

Edited by Gazlaaar

We had to buy the bait runner conversion kits for the older reels, I was using rear drag and bait runner reels before I moved into carp fishing, so it jus stuck with me :)

My fishing buday like pram hood bibles, I like brollies, both do the same job, I think we just all have our own way

Are the like pop up books for kids but a pop up bible??