The football thread

• 3 weeks later...

Just read Peter Taylors ratings for tonight's game against the Dutch. How can he give Barkley a 7?? he was playing AM, fair enough if he played DM ...that many passes back is expected, but for a AM  :roll: shockingly (instant ban) he isn't even close to Alli ....even as a hammers fan I can see we need to start Kane and Alli!!

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously disappointed but proud, great game, Man Utd, YOU CAN SEE THE FUTURE, THEIR FANS HAVE NO VISION, but looking forward, great things to come from us, fantastic spirit, the West Ham Way.

Twas actually probably our worst performance of the season but delighted with the season overall , we have our club back at last .

Love your last sentence . Ready to admit you were wrong yet ? :)

I hope Stevo's wife has some smelling salts to get him off of the floor!!!

Missed the first half, but the second half mire than made up for that. What a great 45 minutes of football.

Well done Liverpool. Another fantastic European night of football on Merseyside and a well deserved semi-final place.

You've got to fancy their chances of bringing home the trophy now.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the hooligan days of the 70/80,s it's why the pens where there. I agree about Heysel,but that had nothing to do with the lies and deceit over Hillsborough.

Here's a thought for you,mate. If 96 police officers died that day,would it of took 27years to get the truth. Remember all the blame and all the smear campaign by the government and police against the grieving family's of them poor souls.

Your missing the point completely. Watch the news,read the tabloids...... NOT the scum..... Take in what's happened. Most of them wernt innocent bobbys. There was a few but most were in maggies pocket.

I ask again if 96 police had died.... Would this of happened.

I though long & hard whether to post this or not but it's the way I feel and not intended to upset anybody , especially Stevo .

The real tragedy here is that it was a 'special occasion game' so there were far more kids there than was usual during the 70's & 80's. Because of the violence and terracing a lot of mums were reluctant to let their kids attend a football game in that era but this was a semi final, at a different stadium and a day out.

The demographic of the crowd was quite different that day and that also added to the loss of life . . . . . . put simply a child just can't resist the crush of a crowd in the way and fit man in his mid 20's can.

It was perfectly normal as a kid at West Ham in the North Bank (Trevor Brooking behind the goal for all you youngsters) to be swept forward when a goal was scored and temporarily lose sight of your father. It was actually quite normal for all the kids to be put down the front by their parents.

We were packed in like sardines and when grown men were jumping around excitedly it was almost impossible to stay in your position so I can absolutely understand how this tragedy happened.

I feel very sorry for the Mum's who packed their kids off to watch a football game that day and never saw them return. Terrible . . . . . truly terrible.

The way the police dealt with the ticket-less fans and their decisions and failure to cooperate caused panic and death.

The police covered up their failings for a long time and it is completely wrong and corrupt.

The fact that there were ambulances outside that could not get in was incompetence in the extreme and cost lives.

All the above is true but there are a serious number of Liverpool fans who turned up that day without a ticket and started pushing and trying to gain entry to such an extent that they forced a panic decision on the police. They are also culpable and caused death. They had recent form in Heysel and even though the Juve fans and Police weren't blameless that day the Liverpool fans actions was in the minds of the police at Hillsborough.

Justice for the 96? Perhaps? The victims families have undoubtedly been lied to and lost their loved ones unnecessarily.

However I can't quite shift the image of Liverpool fans waving flags around the other day and announcing 'we always knew Liverpool fans were innocent' . . . . . . they weren't. A large number (hundreds) were equally to blame for the crush that day and now that is being swept under the carpet in the same way the policing and stewarding incompetence and corruption were swept under the carpet in any of the previous 27 years.

The sign above the Liverpool town hall reads 'Truth & Justice' . . . . . . . . . I don't think either is accurate.

Edited by newmarket

I hear what you say Tim,it's the norm that your going to get a few 100 turn up to away days ticketless even more for the bigger games. But for LFC to be given the leppings lane end,and it's tiny access was crazy. There will be fans who "bunked" in..... I did for years when I was a nipper watching rugby. How the whole event was managed was flawed from start to finish, people where dieing long before the exit gate was opened.

Senseless waste mate . They didn't die totally in vain though .

Football has gone from one of the riskiest spectator sports to what is probably the safest in the world . At least in this country .

I think that jibes with the news, iirrc they said a $5 bet could pay $25,000 at 5000 - 1. Good game to win! [emoji3] My 2 sports channels show 1 Premier League game live and one on delay in 5 minutes, but no mention which games they are and the tv guide app says Sports Centre (a commentary programme) on instead of football.

Now I know! They cut the first half to show the Russian Gran Prix on both channels, oh well. Tie game at the half..[emoji12]