The football thread

Don't think you can compare different era's.

You don't play for England and man u for as long as he has without having some sort of quality.

I think people should give him the credit he deserves.

He can only score against the opposition he faces Muft so yes you are right there and he'll always be in the record books regardless so credit there .

Just as a side note though , it's my opinion that the home countries teams were (generally) stronger in those days than Luxembourg (for example) are now.

I know Wales would gives us a battle now.

Well it's only 5 games into the new season and there appears to be a massive smiley dancing up and down in Easex and East London at the moment ....

A completely different mentality , the ability to change tactics to suit the opposition with players that are capable of the job .

Entertainment being the bottom line as there will undoubtedly be a few more 4-3 defeats this season home AND away but at least there is a new wave of optimism instead of undying feelings of dread .

A manager who may or may not prove to be a success long term but at least tells it how it is instead of blaming everybody and everything but himself .

So although I may be jumping the gun a little bit I have a message for Messrs Merson Savage Shearer Keys Keown Lawrenson Souness etc ...

YOU be careful what you wish for !!!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Average time a West Ham fan takes to tie their shoe laces ?

Close :) it's actually the amount of time Andrew Carroll has played this season before getting injured .

If he was a horse he would be shot ffs

Liverpool have sacked Brendan Rogers.

Really poor decision, in my opinion. It should have happened in the close season, not seven games in.

Looks like Jurgen Klopp has a new job :wink:

Football is stupid now days.

It only seems like yesterday he was the best thing since sliced bread.

He massively over achieved when Liverpool went close to winning the title.

Football is stupid now days.

It only seems like yesterday he was the best thing since sliced bread.

He massively over achieved when Liverpool went close to winning the title.

Just goes to show how good Suarez and Gerrard were that year .

They ain't the same club of yesteryear that's for sure .

I know someone who can "guarantee" they stay up ....:)

I'll be honest, I'm still in a bit of shock over the whole thing. Why didn't we sack him in the summer??? Why give him money then bin him so early ..... I'll admit there was quite a bit of unrest over the past few weeks but I'd like to think that the decision could of waited till crimbo. Klopp .... No thanks,rather have ancelloti ..... Relegation don't make me laff,competively we've lost less matches than City and Arsenal..... 4 points off top 4

I'll be honest, I'm still in a bit of shock over the whole thing. Why didn't we sack him in the summer??? Why give him money then bin him so early ..... I'll admit there was quite a bit of unrest over the past few weeks but I'd like to think that the decision could of waited till crimbo. Klopp .... No thanks,rather have ancelloti ..... Relegation don't make me laff,competively we've lost less matches than City and Arsenal..... 4 points off top 4

A top 4 finish is still on the cards,I'd like to think we will finish at the top end of the table,a change of manager could give the team the lift they need. Defence needs sorting,but his sacking so early in the season has left a bad taste in the mouth.

It's a bit like splitting up with a bird you use to really like. You know it's not working out,and it's best you go your separate ways...... But it still makes you sad when it happens

Had them eating out of his hands Tim. But he did say a few things that made sence and I think he's nobody's fool. We went looking for him not vice versa...... He wasn't my 1st choice,I'll admit,but he's here now and with all due respect to Dortmund he is at a massive club now,even if we arnt the force we were. As I've banged on all season were still in a really good position and the footy season n comps ain't really started yet.

Liked how he put the 25 year wait to bed nice and early,how he noted that if the players don't buy into his system then they can go,I like things like that. He's asked for time,and he will get it. He's an ex player and I think that can help when your a manager...... Most of the successful ones are ex pro's ..... So we are where we are.

I honestly haven't got a clue if Sunderland will stay up,as I've said its still early. Your thoughts Tim ?

Had them eating out of his hands Tim. But he did say a few things that made sence and I think he's nobody's fool. We went looking for him not vice versa...... He wasn't my 1st choice,I'll admit,but he's here now and with all due respect to Dortmund he is at a massive club now,even if we arnt the force we were. As I've banged on all season were still in a really good position and the footy season n comps ain't really started yet.

Liked how he put the 25 year wait to bed nice and early,how he noted that if the players don't buy into his system then they can go,I like things like that. He's asked for time,and he will get it. He's an ex player and I think that can help when your a manager...... Most of the successful ones are ex pro's ..... So we are where we are.

I honestly haven't got a clue if Sunderland will stay up,as I've said its still early. Your thoughts Tim ?

Imp time is the one thing he may not get mate . Now what I'm going to say now is not a dog at you are Liverpool fans in particular but I find that supporters of the "bigger" clubs tend to think they have a divine right to succeed .

Arsenal fans , or at least most of 'em , are on Wengers back at the moment yet they finish top 4 year in year out .

The cup last season has only placated them into demanding more . Now .

The new breed of supporter neither has the patience to wait or the experience to fall back on to give them that patience.

I have a clip of a Chelski fan doing his absolute nut at Mourinho .

He is too young to have known what it was like to stand in a half empty shed on a wet cold February Tuesday night in the old second division with the other 8000 die hards , has only ever known success and has been spoilt by it.

I can't post it on here but I'll send it to you . It's a source of great amusement down here at the moment .

I think 'pool held onto Rodgrrs a few weeks too long and from what I saw a few weeks ago your team may need more than a cocky kraut to knit em together quickly .

The January window will see a lot of squad turnaround at Anfield I reckon , but yes I think NEXT season you may well be up there .

As for Sunderland . On paper they have the squad to stay up comfortably but with the dinosaur in charge I think they will get relegated .

If not this season then shortly after they have had enough of him.

He spends millions on defensively minded journeymen from his former clubs , bored the fans to death , insults their intelligence by refusing to connect with them at all , blames everybody but himself , and when they finally get him out and employ a manager with a more positive outlook on the game they are left with a squad unable to cope with the expected change in philosophy .

As a result those teams get relegated shortly after , see Toon and Blackburn.

The only reason we won't go the same way is because our owners saw it coming and took player recruitment out of his hands a year before he left .

We bought and have bought flair players , something the Allasaurus doesn't do , he can't stand a number 10 . Sterling would still be in our Dev squad.

Expect Nolan and Amalfitano to be at Sunderland by next weekend and a load of other Mark Curtis represented players there in January .

I predict Andy Carroll , James Collins and Joey O'Brien to be there in January and maybe even Mark Noble because he will lose his place in the team when Song is fit .

19th century football played by oafs like Allardyce and Pulis is no longer effective in this league .

Prehistoric mate .

As I said before it's a shame because the Mackems are proper loyal supporters and don't deserve it .

Liverpool have sacked Brendan Rogers.

Really poor decision, in my opinion. It should have happened in the close season, not seven games in.

Looks like Jurgen Klopp has a new job :wink:

Brendan Rodgers worked at Swansea because he was able to develop his team, from promotion to the Premier League to competing against the big clubs. He walked into a club with problems wanting instant success, who were sellers rather than buyers, and who had no development in place. Gerrard saved his bacon on occasions, but the loss at the end of last season to Stoke (?) cooked his goose.

He should have been gone at the end of the season, not 7 games in, but the club were hoping he would have pulled it right at the start.

Jurgen Klopp is a big name manager who made Borussia Dortmund a success again, but he will need to be able to choose his players at Liverpool, who he gets in, which Rodgers wasn't able to do under the NFL American owners.

Although Liverpool have won so many championships and are probably the most successful English team in Europe, it is strange to think they have never won the Premier League, which is what needs to be put right.