Leadcore

garysj01

• 8 months later...

nick and others i would just like to say thank you for your views and insight into leadcore. i have used leadcore for many years and have always used it 'safely' to my knowledge. and i have never witnessed in my own fishing any damage or danger whilst using it. but i must admit this thread has changed my opinion somewhat, things i didnt even think about have been brought to my attention and therefore i have stopped using leadcore. i just dont want to risk the fish, which is the main priority in our much loved hobby that is fishing! thanks again.

• 1 year later...

Surly mono and braid under tension can be just as damaging to mr fish if it comes into contact it is unrealistic to think our catching of a fish leaves no damage whatsoever we just have to limit our own handling of the fish to my mind, I've used leadcore but don't like it but I think the issue with it is more a case of two points. 1.if snapped off it neutralises the effect of the lead making it more difficult for a fish to free itself by shaking against the lead

2. Some fishery owners are starting to mither about how lines degrade when left in the lake and it's fair to say leadcore would be a long old time for a potentially lethal snag to hang in the water.

Please don't shout at me these are my own interpretations of my reading so if I'm wrong or have mis understood then sorry in advance

Surly mono and braid under tension can be just as damaging to mr fish if it comes into contact it is unrealistic to think our catching of a fish leaves no damage whatsoever we just have to limit our own handling of the fish to my mind, I've used leadcore but don't like it but I think the issue with it is more a case of two points. 1.if snapped off it neutralises the effect of the lead making it more difficult for a fish to free itself by shaking against the lead

2. Some fishery owners are starting to mither about how lines degrade when left in the lake and it's fair to say leadcore would be a long old time for a potentially lethal snag to hang in the water.

Please don't shout at me these are my own interpretations of my reading so if I'm wrong or have mis understood then sorry in advance

Won't shout, but I'll try to explain:

Braid can be damaging and cutting as the line is under tension. In fact many braids are often the same material as leadcore, but the lead is wrapped in a sheath. As braid is thinner, and often made incorporating Kevlar (capital K due to tradename I think), it will cut the fish, unless covered with tubing, or fitted with a 'safer'(*) leader. In fact many fisheries stipulate this. Braid can catch and cut as the fish swims. These mainline braids are NOT the same as hooklink braids, but even some hooklink braids in finer (breaking) strains can cut, which is often why we use breaking strains often heavier than our mainline.

Mono filament, tends to slide over the fish. I have not seen a line cut from mono, although it is possible that a scale may be dislodged, I imagine on a scaley mirror. Mono does not dig in. You don't often use tubing when you are floater fishing, fishing zigs, and in my case often at all. Tubing was christened ANTI-TANGLE tubing, and was used to prevent tangles between hooklink and mainline

*'Safer' Leader being a relative term

Edited by salokcinnodrog
To highlight a point made

• 3 weeks later...

Ok im sold i love braid on a light rod the feedback is amazing but i see your point i do use braided hooklinks ive not noticed any damage to fish through it but i see your point it could be a source of damage in the right/wrong circumstances foul hooking etc i will certainly consider my use of braid in future as for leadcore i still stand by my opinion particularly long leaders

• 5 months later...

Leadcore..... If there was ever a subject to cause debate on here then it's the L word ......

Read up on a few threads on here and make your own mind up. If your comfortable using it and happy with it then it's up to you,there will be some that slate you,there will be some that agree with you.

I use to use leadcore a few years ago,but if I feel the need to use a leader I use the unleaded stuff. It really is up to you mate

THAT is down to Leadcore Jon ?

it is one of many that i have gathered together in a gallery of horror in my research into the effectiveness of leadcore as a leader Tim.

if you zoom on the pic you can make out where the original hook was in the corner of the mouth and the leader has slid under a gill plate then just sawed up thru the body as the fish has struggled to free itself. nice init.

and that is the reason i dont use leaders of ANY kind

it is one of many that i have gathered together in a gallery of horror in my research into the effectiveness of leadcore as a leader Tim.

if you zoom on the pic you can make out where the original hook was in the corner of the mouth and the leader has slid under a gill plate then just sawed up thru the body as the fish has struggled to free itself. nice init.

and that is the reason i dont use leaders of ANY kind

Me neither Jon , that is kin 'orrible !

There will be those that will blame that on an Otter or Mink or whatever but you can clearly see where a leader of some sorts has literally sawn through the fish .

I was toying with the idea of using tungsten tubing of some sort this year instead of my mainline straight through but in an event of a breakage it would just slide off the line anyway so wouldnt acheive anything except make my end tackle visibler ( is that a word ? Lol ).

I think i'll stick with what i do i'd hate to think there was 1% chance of me being responsible for something like that .

This AC geezer needs to elaborate a littke bit .

Put up or dont comment is the phrase i believe .

I think he may be non native tim and as such leadcore is probably an improvement lol. My tackle is as basic as i can get it, mainline has tail rubber then lead slid on, then #8 kwiklink. Onto that i plop my hooklink of the day and out it goes.. simples

Exactly the same as me mate except i dont need a tail rubber for my run ring :)

Though i do sometime apply a Gardner rig sleeve depending on the hooklink material .

Would you say leadcore is an improvement on mills bombs then ?

A little tip from one of my Albanian ex-colleagues :)

Edited by newmarket