rig putty

1carpkid

hi guys,I bought some rig putty and put some on the rig that i tied.I am pretty sure i heard when its put in the water it will go hard,so i stuck my rig in cold water for 10-15 mins,the problem was it stayed soft but slid up and down the line is there anything i can do to stop this? :D

wouldnt that make the putty kinda pointless? you could just add a bigger shot. my thinking is putty wont add a weak spot,which can happen if shot is crimped on. a float stop or stop knot then wrapped in putty makes more sense to me.

as for it staying soft,that could be the putty, so many out there, but not all are very good,iv tried a few and not found one im completely happy with. when using uncoated braid,or striped i find it better to rub the full lenght of hook link with the putty.

I always used to use a small shot and mould the putty around it, with braided hooklinks, and never had a problem.

Nowadays I use a Korda (shock horror. lol) medium sinker and mould the putty around that. They work a treat and you can slide them up or down to alter your pop up height.

I always used to use a small shot and mould the putty around it, with braided hooklinks, and never had a problem.

Nowadays I use a Korda (shock horror. lol) medium sinker and mould the putty around that. They work a treat and you can slide them up or down to alter your pop up height.

I just use float stops , much cheaper :wink:

I just use float stops , much cheaper :wink:

i cant get my head around why putty is needed on korda sinkers :?: oh yeah..the answers in my question. :lol:

@shade. agreed, braid is unlikely to have the problem. mono or fluoros on the other hand :wink:

lol. I like to critically balance my pop ups so they only just sink. The 'sinker' gives it a good start, then a bit of putty moulded around it and then pick bits off until the whole lot sinks as slowly as possible, especially in the colder months.

Kryston Heavy Metal.

Moulds around absolutely everything and sticks exactly where its put, mono, fluoro, braid coated and uncoated.

As for Korda sinkers on pop-ups, I just use small olivettes for pole fishing if it is a very buoyant pop-up, or I want an overweighted bait :wink:

kryston heavy metal for me tried the dark matter absolute pants

Have you noticed that since they've done rig putty all the Korda chaps really rate "putting a massive blob of putty" on their hooklengths to "pull it down into the carps mouth".

For me- Putty has always been about finesse and balance in a discrete way. If you want a massive blob- use a shot.

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

kryston heavy metal for me tried the dark matter absolute pants

Have you noticed that since they've done rig putty all the Korda chaps really rate "putting a massive blob of putty" on their hooklengths to "pull it down into the carps mouth".

For me- Putty has always been about finesse and balance in a discrete way. If you want a massive blob- use a shot.

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

yea thats probably why they all need 3.5lb tc rods :lol::lol: