Tying popups on

neontrifle

I have tried to search views using search bar but so many to trawl through.

Simple question

Why is it so popular to tie pop ups on to rigs/hooks when a hair does the does just as well and is much easier to thread on a hair. I understand making a hole through a popup can reduce its buoyancy over time but it a very long time in my experience and depends on the bait. I have left popups out 24hours on a hair and had no problems….am I missing something?

It may keep some pop ups popped up but by no means all...

Some of the best pop-ups straight from the tub are actually some of the worst for taking on water when pierced, and as for what Beanz says, cork ball can be such a mess. The quick water ingress can get the paste to fall away from the cork ball as well.

I don't bother with the bait floss method of tying them on, I simply use a fine mono to tie them on with, which I have found can cut into the skin, almost cauterising itself and the pop-up enlarges around it. I've had pop-ups stay buoyant for days doing that :wink:

Uni knot in the nylon to create the loop, insert pop-up, pull loop tight, and job done.

I do the Uni knot whether I am tying pop-ups onto ring or if it is a continuation of the knotless knot with braid as my hooklink.

• 5 weeks later...
It may keep some pop ups popped up but by no means all...

Which ones tend to be avoided (drilled) if anyone knows, I'm at the moment water testing a couple of Vision baits 15mm pop ups (unglugged) and theyve been popped up for about 30 hrs now. Im not very experienced with pop ups and would appreciate any advice on what to avoid.

I know its a confidence thing but im just not sure I would trust myself to tie on a round bait and still expect it to be on after it hit the water :lol:

i tend to just hair rig my pop ups using a fine mono hair and micro needles, i tend not to worry about pop ups up staying up for 24hrs+ my sessions are only about 6-8hrs long... secondly, a pop up that dont float is a critically balanced bait is it not? i do like to test my pop ups both on casting and on retrieval, to make sure they are still floating. however we do need to be mindful of wether the pop ups are really floating as we would like in the lake - what with all that water pressure bearing down on it. it is easy - and perhaps wrong, to assume the pop up behaves the same way in 10feet of water as it does in 1ft of margins where water pressure is much less.

ouchthathurt. :roll:

i tend to just hair rig my pop ups using a fine mono hair and micro needles, i tend not to worry about pop ups up staying up for 24hrs+ my sessions are only about 6-8hrs long... secondly, a pop up that dont float is a critically balanced bait is it not? i do like to test my pop ups both on casting and on retrieval, to make sure they are still floating. however we do need to be mindful of wether the pop ups are really floating as we would like in the lake - what with all that water pressure bearing down on it. it is easy - and perhaps wrong, to assume the pop up behaves the same way in 10feet of water as it does in 1ft of margins where water pressure is much less.

ouchthathurt. :roll:

yep good point mate. Theres no real way of testing that though is there. I agree though that theres no way I'l ever leave a pop up on for 30 + hours, Im just leaving it out of curiousity really..... And again its more of a confidence thing in testing the the rig, knowing that the rig sits right even in a tank of water gives you more confidence than tossing it out untried.

• 1 month later...

I used to be like that...just tie them on a hair or even pierce with a small swivel. However, as many have said here it depends on the pop up and how it constructed. I changed my approach after a session of sinking pop ups after an hour so of being in the water ( I won't mention the brand). I too don't see the need for floss and use thin mono as long as you don't tie it too tight it's fine.

• 2 weeks later...

i`ve always had problems with tying pop ups to rig rings with floss or very fine mono etc . i dont know what it is , maybe im just clumsy or whatever or my fingers are too big .....my mrs says im just left handed which explains a lot :)

either way i find it finicky and at the end of the day im just hopeless at it .

on hairless hooklinks i tend to snap a paperclip in half and use the "u" shaped half to attach the pop up through the rig ring on the hook .

now i know that people will say "oh but that involves piercing the bait and therefore will affect long term bouyancy etc etc " but i`ve been doing it for years using the mainline fruitella and cc moore odyssey xxx pop ups and they stay popped up for at least 24 hrs .

anyone else do this ?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...