leadcore and accesories cost

bilob

hi, serious question.......

why do you need to use leadcore? it doesn't 'hug' the bottom any kinks stick out like a sore thumb, off the bottom.flourocarbon much better in my opinion

if you must use leadcore you can get ready made leaders (esp i thinks the best) they are about 4 quid each

but ask yourself " why do i need leadcore)

Bilob , please don't take this the wrong way but it seems you might be trying to run before you can walk . Most tackle shops will sell braid rigs or stiff rigs and between them they probably result in catching 70% of all fish caught . Concentrate on the hook and bait presentation if this is wrong it wont matter how camouflaged your line is .

Leadcore has so many potential risks involved (to the fish) that it's just not worth using. The common held belief that it "hugs" the lakebed is completely wrong.

If you're worried about concealing the rig, try slack lines with a blob or two of putty on it. It won't lift off the bottom, keeping it away from the fish.

Have a search for death rig (click all terms) you'll be horrified at the damage even supposedly safe leadcore can do.

I can't put it any other way, but I will advise you NOT to use leadcore in your fishing. The cost is relative, not just the cost of what you gets for your money, but the risks it poses to the fish we love in tethering and dead fish.

I may be "one track" minded when it comes to leadcore, but in my honest view, leadcore does NOT give you any advantage in your fishing, and is an absolute risk to the fish, either in marks, scars or the potential for tethering and killing fish.

In my view there is NO safe leadcore rig set-up, and Numbers of fish have been found tethered and dead when leaders have been used.

Leadcore does NOT hide the rig, in fact it is more visible than a standard mainline, and it does NOT pin the line to the lakebed.

Have a read of some of these and then please I ask you, don't even think about using leadcore in your fishing:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32598

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38886&highlight=advanced+carp+fishing

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40711&highlight=advanced+carp+fishing

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39794

I'm not going into the whole leadcore debate as everybody has thier own opinion on its use, what i would say is if you are using it don't buy the ready made leaders, they are looped at both ends and will not eject rig componants.Buy a spool from esp, fox etc.You will also wany to buy a few drop off leads, these will come off on every take when set correctly. also splice your mainline to the leader do not use a loop in the leadcore as this can prevent rig componants being ejected.

I'm not going into the whole leadcore debate as everybody has thier own opinion on its use, what i would say is if you are using it don't buy the ready made leaders, they are looped at both ends and will not eject rig componants.Buy a spool from esp, fox etc.You will also wany to buy a few drop off leads, these will come off on every take when set correctly. also splice your mainline to the leader do not use a loop in the leadcore as this can prevent rig componants being ejected.

agree with the above IF you are set on using it, but to be honest there really is no place for it in modern carp angling, there are no benefits from using it, and the danger to carp makes it a no brainer, when you see just how many carp waters ban it you can see just how much of a danger it is to the fish

you only use leadcore as a leader not as a way of "tying" rigs, and if done wrong can possibly cause damage or even death to our prized fish

use florocarbon, braid or mono to tie rigs with

Who sais that you cannot use leadcore as part of a "rig" (as in "rig" not lead setup....)

Leadcore can and is used in hooklink construction.....

agree with the above IF you are set on using it, but to be honest there really is no place for it in modern carp angling, there are no benefits from using it, and the danger to carp makes it a no brainer, when you see just how many carp waters ban it you can see just how much of a danger it is to the fish

The same could be said for barbed hooks, particles, boilies, sacks then.

The only reasons people can give for banning it is via the use of hindsight and a few selective pictures published in magazines. It's no more dangerous, if set up correctly, than any other leader. Even mono straight through can tackle if a fish is left trailing it.

I'm guessing you'd advocate the use of them dreadful "Safe-zone" leaders marketed by Korda? You know, the ones with multiple tungsten sections for the bead to get caught on? Hardly ideal is it.

Secondly, what do you mean it offers no advantages at all? It does actually help the last 3-6ft of your line sit pretty (better than anything else, providing you prestretch it) flush to the bottom, although it does "tightrope" if angled on debris (the same as EVERYTHING else). It's durable, so the advantages are there if bars, mussels etc are present. I believe (I say believe as I don't know what it looks like through a carp's eyes) it is quite inconspicuous. It provides the best balance as to why leaders are used in the first place.

It just seems people are jumping on the bandwagon recently, regarding the dangers of leadcore, even though it has been used for years. Why are people only just starting to make a fuss about it now? Was it not a problem before?

Also, whilst I'm rambling. Why are tackle manufacturers still selling the same size leadclips even though they tell you, at every concievable opportunity, not to push the tail rubber all the way on, as it may cause the lead not to eject? Why not make the bloody clip smaller then to eliminate idiots doing so?

Very well put jonezy.On certain venues i use leadcore to great effect. Always set up with mainline spliced to the leader and a drop off lead.never use alooped leader.As for the lead clips i always have to cut the rubber down as i think that is the problem , the rubber is to long and can be pushed on to far preventing the the clip from doing its job.

The only reasons people can give for banning it is via the use of hindsight and a few selective pictures published in magazines. It's no more dangerous, if set up correctly, than any other leader. Even mono straight through can tackle if a fish is left trailing it.

I'm guessing you'd advocate the use of them dreadful "Safe-zone" leaders marketed by Korda? You know, the ones with multiple tungsten sections for the bead to get caught on? Hardly ideal is it.

Secondly, what do you mean it offers no advantages at all? It does actually help the last 3-6ft of your line sit pretty (better than anything else, providing you prestretch it) flush to the bottom, although it does "tightrope" if angled on debris (the same as EVERYTHING else). It's durable, so the advantages are there if bars, mussels etc are present. I believe (I say believe as I don't know what it looks like through a carp's eyes) it is quite inconspicuous. It provides the best balance as to why leaders are used in the first place.

It just seems people are jumping on the bandwagon recently, regarding the dangers of leadcore, even though it has been used for years. Why are people only just starting to make a fuss about it now? Was it not a problem before?

Also, whilst I'm rambling. Why are tackle manufacturers still selling the same size leadclips even though they tell you, at every concievable opportunity, not to push the tail rubber all the way on, as it may cause the lead not to eject? Why not make the clip smaller then to eliminate idiots doing so?

edited for swearing

barbed hooks! i think more places ban barbless now tbh, and sorry but it is FAR more dangerous than any other leader even if tied correctly imho. the stuff is awfull and shouyld be banned imho.

and sorry but it is FAR more dangerous than any other leader even if tied correctly imho. the stuff is awfull and shouyld be banned imho.

First of all, how is that considered a swear word yet not censored by the auto-censor?

Secondly, how is it more dangerous? I'm guessing you're thinking along the lines of the fact it can, although I've never experienced it personally, potentially kink?

just maybe the main problem with leadcore could be that to many inexperienced anglers used the stuff, doing stunts like gluing lead clip rubbers in place and fixing beads tight to the leadcore, and as a result they have given the product a very bad name, i have had it kink and also the lead has snapped, poking out through the outer core, much as i like the presentation it can give i wont risk using it now

The fact that people set it up incorrectly isn't a direct problem with the product though is it? I could say the same about everything. Let's ban swivels because some people use them to attach a leader to the mainline...?

As for the kinking/lead poking through. I was told about this by someone I know and was abit wary of this myself, although I'd never encountered it personally.

Can I ask with what brand of leadcore did this happen? I use the ESP stuff and can honestly say I've never retrieved a kinked rig, or a rig with the lead-core physically poking through. Although, I do prestretch it nowadays to minimise any risk of this. Just as a precaution though, you understand.

I've got to admit I do shudder at some of the components some people use to construct their rigs, when using leadcore.

It seems to be a growing fashion to use as beads as small as is humanly possible, in conjunction with the smaller swivels available. Which isn't down to lack of information available sadly, more due to the lack of anything between the ears, of the people concerned.

From the experiments I carried out, the brands that the inner leadcore poked out,

ESP, Gardner etc, basically all of them after time, and a few casts!

Who sais that you cannot use leadcore as part of a "rig" (as in "rig" not lead setup....)

Leadcore can and is used in hooklink construction.....

One of Levigsp's fishing partners did, and discovered that the rig was running along the fish's cheeks and causing "burns".

Also, whilst I'm rambling. Why are tackle manufacturers still selling the same size leadclips even though they tell you, at every concievable opportunity, not to push the tail rubber all the way on, as it may cause the lead not to eject? Why not make the bloody clip smaller then to eliminate idiots doing so?

I'm glad somebody else has some sense....

Leadcore as a componenent in no more dangerous than anything else we as anglers use. We are afterall dragging these poor things from their watery home. We will never eradicate all associated risks without giving up our pastime altogether.

Nick,

Leadcore used as a hooklink component.....

The guy noticed abrasions on the cheeks / flanks of the carp as a result of the leadcore? This is unfortunate....i can see how this may happen....but then when i think back to the damage ive seen caused by supple braid as a hooklink material in the past i wonder if it's such an issue afterall...

Slight abrasions (which carp suffer on a regular basis through the rigours of spawning) or deep, potentially fatal lacerations caused by what is in essence cheese wire....i know which i'd choose....

Granted it is easier to fish leadcore in an unsafe manner than most rig components we use....

However...with a little common sense it can be made as safe as anything else on the market. I will only every fish with leadcore in a rotary set up, and i never employ a top bead. To set the hooklink during the cast i secure it with some PVA tape or a nugget of PVA foam folded over.

I do not buy into the theory that leadcore can kink and that this will stop the hooklink becoming detached in the event of a crack off / other mainline breakage. Should this happen, any tension on the leadcore from a hooked fish, or encounter with a snag would immediatly straighten out the leader and remove said kink. Without the use of a top bead of any kind the ring / heli swivel will come off every time. If there is any weed present then i also employ a choppa droppa system whereby the lead is discharged on the take. If there is no weed in the immediate vicinity of the rig, but other areas close by are weedy and / or snaggy then i tie my lead on using 1.5lb bs mono, and once again secure this with PVA tape for casting.

It is worth noting also, that due to the high abrasion resistance of leadcore, it can be a damn sight safer than anything else when in the presence of pea mussels or other abrasive snags. A water i've fished extensively in the last few years had a very productive far margin in front of some of my favoured swims. This margin was very snaggy, and these snags and bars we littered with pea mussels that made short work of most mainlines. Had i not switched to using long leadcore leaders i would not have landed the fish that i did. I would have, without any shadow of a doubt, lost fish to mainline breakages. This would have left carp trailing potentially long lengths of mono / braid, and in the vicinity of some serious snags. Is this acceptable? I think not. But whilst using leadcore i did not lose one fish (or suffer any crack offs which is another topic altogether...). Hence, no fish trailing anything, and no casualties....

I guess those of you who do not advocate the use of leadcore would have chosen not to fish that area at all then? Or maybe you would have accepted a few loses to mainline breakages, under the false impression that as your rigs are "safe" there wouldn't be any issues? I put that to you all....

The bottom line is simple. Leadcore (no....leaders of any description) should never be used where the hooklink is directly attached to the leader (i.e. leadclip arrangements, inline leads, running leads ECT). They should only ever be used in conjunction with a rotary set up. Also, leadcore is perfectly safe in the right hands. What i do accept however is that in most cases, it is in the wrong hands (the same could be said of fishing rods these days). Thirdly there are scenarios whereby leadcore, and any other component, harbours properties that make it the SAFEST option.

Just one thing to add....as i stated previously i do not ever use a top bead in conjunction with leadcore leaders.....i see absolutly no need for this EVER. There is no excuse for employing a top bead of any description!

and sorry but it is FAR more dangerous than any other leader even if tied correctly imho. the stuff is awfull and shouyld be banned imho.

First of all, how is that considered a swear word yet not censored by the auto-censor?

Secondly, how is it more dangerous? I'm guessing you're thinking along the lines of the fact it can, although I've never experienced it personally, potentially kink?

the word IS considered swearing but because it is also a word used in a normal conversation the auto censor dont pick it up, it is the context of use. There are hundreds of reasons AND FACTS about leadcore and the dangers of it as most on here well know and have read many times, if you want to take the risk then that is your choice (unfortuanately the fish dont get a choice in what death rigs are used to catch them) but me and others are trying to point people in the right direction to save SOME fish from serious injury or death and that is ALL we are trying to do tbh.

With regards to leaders only ever being fished rotary style...I can accpet that a hooklink tied directly to a leader can be made safe, but only when said hooklink is of a lower breaking strain than both the leader and mainline. Even then, great care would need to be taken to ensure that you mainline has not suffered any damage during playing a fish or the retrieve. Any damage, however subtle could instantly make your mainline considerably weaker than your hooklink regardless of initial breaking strain. This would once again render the entire setup very unsafe. Due to this, i would always suggest a rotary setup (this includes fluro leaders, casting leaders, snag leaders ECT ECT ECT)

There are hundreds of reasons AND FACTS about leadcore and the dangers of it...

Care to share with me some of these facts? There's no possible way you can gain factual information, based on something that is dictated by so many different variables.

....as most on here well know and have read many times, if you want to take the risk then that is your choice (unfortuanately the fish dont get a choice in what death rigs are used to catch them)

That's abit of a low blow mate. I have the upmost respect for not only the fish I angle for, but also the enviroment that comes with this sport.

To imply that I knowingly use "death rigs" because you have a difference of opinion is bang out of order.

...but me and others are trying to point people in the right direction to save SOME fish from serious injury or death and that is ALL we are trying to do tbh.

Sadly mate, no one learns by condemnation. Education is the only way to do it.

From the experiments I carried out, the brands that the inner leadcore poked out,

ESP, Gardner etc, basically all of them after time, and a few casts!

I've got to admit the only leadcore I use is the ESP because it tends to be a tigher weave, thus minimising the chance of this happening (Even though I've never had it happen.). I also stretch the leadcore to make the lead-core more supple for the same reason as above.