FLUROCARBON?

stuart24

Hi, i have bought some ghost flurocarbon,(i think thats right?) i thought i would try this to make some new rigs.

My problem is that i can tie the knotless knot on to the hook fine, however when i try to tie the grinner knot on to the swivel the line just keeps curling up and just cant seem to get the line to stay together to make the first turn. Now i will say that im not the best at making rigs so that could be the problem! but any help would be gratefull.

thanks very much in advance.

The joys of flurocarbon mate when tying your rigs you have to keep the whole thing tight as you are making it the first bit of slack and it will spring free, (practise, practise and more practise) as for the swivel not i use either a figure of 8 loop knot or in the lighter breaking strains the palomar knot :wink:

I take it you are also wetting the knot before tightening? Silly question I know, but thought I'd better ask.

As 666 says, one of the joys!!!

Nothing worse than tying up with a knotless knot and curling it when you tie it to a swivel! You cut it off and the same happens again, and you then think it's now too short, and you have to start again.

:shock::wink::roll:

gravelbar wrote:

i use crimps

I wouldn't do that for Fluoro, due to the molecular structue of it, putting pressure such as crimping on it may cause it to shatter.

My local tackle shop said only use crimps with fluoro

Crimps are not designed to be used with fluoro, wychwood state that on there packaging as the fluoro is to brittle to stand upto crimping.

Hi, i have bought some ghost flurocarbon,(i think thats right?) i thought i would try this to make some new rigs.

My problem is that i can tie the knotless knot on to the hook fine, however when i try to tie the grinner knot on to the swivel the line just keeps curling up and just cant seem to get the line to stay together to make the first turn. Now i will say that im not the best at making rigs so that could be the problem! but any help would be gratefull.

Tie a pallomar!

gravelbar wrote:

i use crimps

I wouldn't do that for Fluoro, due to the molecular structue of it, putting pressure such as crimping on it may cause it to shatter.

My local tackle shop said only use crimps with fluoro

Crimps are not designed to be used with fluoro, wychwood state that on there packaging as the fluoro is to brittle to stand upto crimping.

i dont think i would trust crimps either :? even with normal mainline i wouldnt

I hate to agree but I find a 2 or 3 turn blood knot with the end blobbed after exposure to a lighter more than adequate for Subterfuge on the chods.

I always do blood knots and blob them, I can never get any of the other knots to bed down properly. I haven't had a knot fail on me yet catching carp to low 30's. I think a well tied blood knot will be better than a badly tied grinner or palomar knot IMO.

I also had to look up the meaning of subterfuge, thats a new word for me :oops:

• 1 month later...

don't know if this site will help but it does it for me! (Copy and paste into address bar). This site has a number of knots and although the initial presentation is quick you can click on each numbered slide to make it go slower. The palomar is just one of their examples

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php

I've also just bought some E.S.P ghost flourocarbon and am struggling to attatch my swivel, it looks like it's going to be a case of keep practising for me.

don't know if this site will help but it does it for me! (Copy and paste into address bar). This site has a number of knots and although the initial presentation is quick you can click on each numbered slide to make it go slower. The palomar is just one of their examples

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php

That's a good site. Maybe it should be a sticky at the top of the rig tying section? :P:wink:

One thing that i do with any coated braid or fluro is do the knot which ever you find best, but before you tighten it right down just dap a little spit on it then tighten it up over your boiling kettle, the heat makes it more supple when pulling tight and so get a tighter knot and one that wont flex when you hook a fish, result- less crack offs with fluro and less coiling up.

i personally use either a figure 8 loop or 3-4 turn uni for my fluro.

• 1 month later...

The Palomar know should really be all you ever need for tying fluorocaarbon. To be honest it's the know i use 98% of the time regardless of material.

Just a little note of the crimps issue though. I use fluorocarbon for my Tope and Smoothhound fishing (Bristol channel + Aberthaw = very harsh conditions) and always use crimps and have never to my knowledge suffered a break due to the crimps. I think the effect on fluorocarbon due to it's brittle nature has been somewhat exaggerated in the past. I was manager of a fishing tackle shop for a number of years dealing in all disciplines of fishing and the main problem associated with crimps stemmed from the inexperienced using them incorrectly. Or rather being haphazard in their usage of crimps. Gentle is key.

Having said all that i see no advantages in using crimps with fluorocarbon (or any other material for that matter) in carp fishing. The only reason i use them in my Tope fishing is because tying knots in very high breaking strain fluorocarbon is not only nigh on impossible, but not very effective either.

To me crimps will only add to the bulk on your rig, and create possibly sharp edges that could rub the carp's flanks / gill covered during a fight.

• 7 months later...

With these "New Generation" or "Hi-Tec" Hooklinks you really have to get your knots right and that is the same with all fluorocarbons.

Many turn crinkly and "pigtail" as you tighten up the knot creating a weakspot.

Also if you tighten it up without wetting or lubricating the knot it can fracture inside creating a weakspot that way. It may be that you slid the knot down the hooklink and where tightened originally the hooklink has snapped.

Also some materials have absolutely no Abrasion or shear resistance, so as they touch any underwater object during a fight with a fish they just "ping", and that includes reeds!

Another problem with some materials is that they are not suitable for folding up inside a PVA bag. Where you fold the hooklink may again weaken or fracture the line.

However on the few occasions I do use fluorocarbons I knotless knot the Hook, and then use the loop knot in the Kryston packaging for the swivel end. Never had that fail on me, but I do make sure that I check the hooklink after every fish, and on every cast :!: