What is snag fishing?

Leegii

Might have to look at braided mainline if true snag fishing, they'll take an extra 10 yards in stretch easily from 80 yards cast out using mono.  Put rods at an angle so they can bend round, completely tight clutches, pole beside the rods so they don't get pulled in, decent back grip rests.

Stay by rods at all times and have a plan, such as as soon as I pick up the rod walk backwards quick to pull away from obstacle.

Not relaxing fishing by any means.

5 hours ago, Leegii said:

What is snag fishing?

4 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Basically when you fish tight to snags or features,you need to stay close to your rods and fish with a tight line so the fish can't escape into the snags,

or when you put your bait boat right under a tree 😳

2 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Might have to look at braided mainline if true snag fishing, they'll take an extra 10 yards in stretch easily from 80 yards cast out using mono.  Put rods at an angle so they can bend round, completely tight clutches, pole beside the rods so they don't get pulled in, decent back grip rests.

Stay by rods at all times and have a plan, such as as soon as I pick up the rod walk backwards quick to pull away from obstacle.

Not relaxing fishing by any means.

Fishing up tight to a snag where you can't let the fish take any line off the reel, nor allow line stretch to let them get into the snag. It can be fishing to a treeline with roots growing into the lake, an obvious dead branch in the water, a serious weedbed or lilypads.

I fish to snags slightly differently to @kevtaylor, by pointing my rod directly at the snag, line tight, and the baitrunner switched OFF. It only works with mono at short range, as mono has about 15-25% stretch, so as Kev says, look at braided mainline if at any range.

The theory of the tight line is that on the take the fish is pulled in an arc away from the snag, then you can get back to playing it normally.

I'd also say, don't snag fish at night, or if you are sleeping. You need to be instant, right next to the rods at all times. Even straying away for a pee can be enough time to lose a fish or rod!

8 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I'd also say, don't snag fish at night, or if you are sleeping. You need to be instant, right next to the rods at all times. Even straying away for a pee can be enough time to lose a fish or rod!

Good point - I reeled in at midnight on the social and on Kingy a few weeks back.  Rod back out at first light.

IMG_20230908_074809.thumb.jpg.00a9432870d9dc7dc5de3cd4afc3855c.jpg

I had my rod tip high last time i was fishing up to the pads, seemed to work really well tbh, I've tried various rod positions over the years but for this situation that is the best set up I've found, the fish never found the pads at all and it's easier to grab the rod so  I could just walk straight back, the battle was fairly straightforward after that. This was on the end 

IMG_20230924_210305_779.jpg.3e5721e589a97c6e1166e686c9658763.jpg

On 11/10/2023 at 15:24, framey said:

Don’t do it unless you are confident in what you are doing 

slightest error on your end could potentially end  in bad stuff.

100% agree.

On my old lake 1 swim was made out of bounds due to one anglers inability to snag fish.  He had 3 rods all with baitrunners on and lost 3 fish in 2hrs whilst the head bailiff was opposite him.

If anyone decides to snag fish then they need to be 100% confident in their  gear and their ability to snag fish. 

On 11/10/2023 at 11:23, kevtaylor said:

Put rods at an angle so they can bend round, completely tight clutches, pole beside the rods so they don't get pulled in, decent back grip rests.

Try it with a heavy lead and a good bend in the tip of the rod; as you get a take and the lead moves, the tip springs straight, pulling the fish away from the snag. 

It also works fishing to other features, (far bank, islands etc), but again you do need to be on the rods