Bobbin or swinger

5 hours ago, Leegii said:

New to carp fishing. Bobbin or swinger, which one do you use?

Use the right indicator for the situation!

Mega tight lines at range, you might want a tension arm (Springer) indicator. It basically keeps the line tight until a take, then either 'pops off' as line is taken, or springs back down on a dropback.

A light bobbin could be perfect for fishing at short range or with running leads and a slack line.

Fish slightly further out, you could need a heavier bobbin to counteract possible undertow with tight lines.

The original Fox Mark 1 swinger was brilliant, I think the best version, you could go from zero weight to maximum weight and get extra weights on them for pretty much all fishing.

Now I use Solar Quiverlocs or Short Arm Titanium indicators which mostly cover me for all situations.

I have always used the lightest bobbin I could get away with, using the ESP white bobbins with Steve Neville buzzers, however recently I’ve noticed that on several runs, I’ve had the bobbin jam in the roller on the buzzer which silences the alarm as the roller couldn’t spin, so I swapped them out for a set of new direction mini swingers, with an adjustable weight, they do the job nicely, as the arm stops the bobbin reaching the roller IMG_8462.thumb.jpeg.b00fb69e970a53cb0af305dea781e2a1.jpeg

23 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I'm a bit obsessive too, I haven't posted my latest set up yet 😳any excuse lol 

Matrix hockey sticks, MCF bike chains and my beloved Defiant MPS heads 

Probably not the most functional set I've had but they meet my own vein bobbin fetish requirements at the moment. 

IMG_20230927_185037.thumb.jpg.931edff3c88de3b1aad0be8526ebdf69.jpg

That chain looks like you nicked it off a Harley Davidson 😳

• 3 weeks later...