The shockleader to mainline split

elmoputney

I've been having a play with the avid outline Mono camo snag leader I bought, and I've found a knot I am happy with the uni knot, I've tested it and it doesn't slip I made a big loop with two uni knots  and the 12lb hydrotuff I used snapped before the knots (pulling for a break is extreme though and I do use stronger Mainline) but should I just use it in lengths of say a meter or lengths like you would a shock leader which I have seen some use (4-5 turns on the reel and half the drop) 

I am going to be using low stretch katran line once I respool and was thinking helisafe set up so I could have a chuck anywhere set up 

What are your thoughts please? 

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I've been having a play with the avid outline Mono camo snag leader I bought, and I've found a knot I am happy with the uni knot, I've tested it and it doesn't slip I made a big loop with two uni knots  and the 12lb hydrotuff I used snapped before the knots (pulling for a break is extreme though and I do use stronger Mainline) but should I just use it in lengths of say a meter or lengths like you would a shock leader which I have seen some use (4-5 turns on the reel and half the drop) 

I am going to be using low stretch katran line once I respool and was thinking helisafe set up so I could have a chuck anywhere set up 

What are your thoughts please? 

I don't like helicopter setups anywhere near snags, they allow too much rig movement before indication. I've lost fish because of that movement, 20-30metres before any indication and Delkims at around 100metres, fishing in clear water, but the fish made it to an overhanging tree stump.

Look at run rings with a tight line, or the (for me, dreaded) lead clip.

In fact the run ring will or should also slide off the leader if it does break.

Length is always tough, I tend to use a shockleader as 4/5 turns on the reel and drop, whereas snag leader does not need to be as long, as fishing next to the rod, you will be straight onto it, and only the extreme end near the rig will be rubbing any snags.

My snag leader is Solar Contour Unleaded, don't think its still available, but I've had fish to over 20lb on it from the syndicate, and the length is my casting drop, minus the tip to first ring, so it doesn't affect my casting, probably around 1½metres long.

I don't know if you can remember the pic, a large stump in the water, in front of that is a metal grill embedded in the lakebed. I had a few fish from that spot on the setup.

That make sense Nick thanks, my usual leaders are normally just over a metre ish tbh and I never really need to go extreme distances at the moment, so I might just stick to that and it's also cheaper 😉

I've decided a grinner knot is good for tying swivels or (hybrid lead clips)or whatever too, 

I'm not a massive fan of helicopter set ups usually tbh, but there is a time when they are handy for presentation, like right now when the weed is right up to the lid and finding spots can be tricky. 

Because it comes on 100m spools though, I can chop and change it as required thanks, 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2023 at 14:07, salokcinnodrog said:

Sounds like how I get my marker floats; I was up at 7 that I found, at Nazeing, Melton, my current, and Alton, all with a short piece of braid attached where the line had snapped just above the knot. 

No-one will admit that braid straight through is a problem, yet it does seem to be. They weren't all attached to the same type or thickness of braid!

I go to an Amnesia shockleader to reduce that shock on hitting the clip.

No worries Mate, I just didn't want you just dumping leads without genuine reason, just because 'Korda Krew' or another tackle manufacturer said you must dump the lead every take.

Sorry if my comment seemed harsh, only I do tend to shoot straight to the point.

I don't use straight through braid on my spod rod now, I lost a couple of marker floats and spombs that way (fox exocet poop braid) now I always use shock leader and actually haven't lost one that wasn't the aerlex's self closing bail arms fault since but I've always got those back because they tend not to get that far, they usually badooosh right in front of me 😜

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I don't use straight through braid on my spod rod now, I lost a couple of marker floats and spombs that way (fox exocet poop braid) now I always use shock leader and actually haven't lost one that wasn't the aerlex's self closing bail arms fault since but I've always got those back because they tend not to get that far, they usually badooosh right in front of me 😜

I use Korda Basix Braid 30lb straight through, only 1 crack off so far, but only fished upto 12 wraps so far with it, if need further would a leader be needed ?

18 minutes ago, Highy said:

I use Korda Basix Braid 30lb straight through, only 1 crack off so far, but only fished upto 12 wraps so far with it, if need further would a leader be needed ?

I find it better whatever the distance tbh, this may sound blunt as an answer not my intention but using a shock leader takes out the shock/spring out of the spod on casting as it takes the brunt of the pressure/load and tension of the initial cast so even at shorter ranges I find it helps with accuracy /consistency and all that stuff and if people see 4-5 turns of shock leader they think you are the bizness 😎

And then I cast and they think 🤡😀

I still struggle with distance tbh but it has helped get me as far as I've needed so far, although the swim I've started frequenting has a longer chuck so I'm challenging myself to pull up the big boy pants and try and improve my casting to it as it takes a good few goes too many. 

2 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I find it better whatever the distance tbh, this may sound blunt as an answer not my intention but using a shock leader takes out the shock/spring out of the spod on casting as it takes the brunt of the pressure/load and tension of the initial cast so even at shorter ranges I find it helps with accuracy /consistency and all that stuff and if people see 4-5 turns of shock leader they think you are the bizness 😎

I still struggle with distance tbh but it has helped get me as far as I've needed so far, although the swim I've started frequenting has a longer chuck so I'm challenging myself to pull up the big boy pants and try and improve my casting to it as it takes a good few goes too many. 

I've always thought about a shock leader, but due to not distance fishing, and thinking its another not I don't want....

Casting and accuracy (not being big headed) I think is spot on.

I just think a decent braid and good knot to spod/lead, sounds enough (at moment) to me.

3 hours ago, Highy said:

I've always thought about a shock leader, but due to not distance fishing, and thinking its another not I don't want....

I just think a decent braid and good knot to spod/lead, sounds enough (at moment) to me.

That's fair enough I used to do that most braids it was fine. But now I just use one as whatever the distance I don't have to mess about adding a shock leader when I want one, I had the same one on for ages, I also prefer it on my line holding finger to the braided line and think I get better feel from it. And less likely to slice my finger off when casting. 

3 hours ago, Highy said:

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

3 hours ago, Highy said:

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

That's fair enough I used to do that most braids it was fine. But now I just use one as whatever the distance I don't have to mess about adding a shock leader when I want one, I had the same one on for ages, I also prefer it on my line holding finger to the braided line and think I get better feel from it. And less likely to slice my finger off when casting. 

I prefer a shockleader as I did find I could crack-off plain straight braid on a marker rod, and that was big casts on Nazeing, I think about 120metres. I only did it once, the 30lb Amnesia leader went straight on. I was clipped up!

For spodding, at the time I was using a separate rod, with leader anyway.

Personally, I think it's shorter fishing when hitting the clip straight through that normally causes crack-offs, although a beast or numpty can do it at longer range, and I am that numpty as I can crack-off with my sea gear with a leader. The sudden stop and pressure just above the knot I think is what causes the break.

When I got onto the syndicate 3 years ago, I did initially start with separate marker and spod rod, but after finding some lovely far bank features to use as aiming points, felt I could dispense with one rod.

It is rare for me to spod on there at much above 70metres, very little long distance fishing needed, so I have had the same shockleader and braid on for 3years. 

I've played with knots from braid to leader, and came up with an overhand knot on the leader, and a 4/5 turn uni knot through the overhand and up the leader as my 'goto' for all my fishing.

I wasn't happy with water knot, nor grinner to grinner. 

2 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I prefer a shockleader as I did find I could crack-off plain straight braid on a marker rod, and that was big casts on Nazeing, I think about 120metres. I only did it once, the 30lb Amnesia leader went straight on. I was clipped up!

Personally, I think it's shorter fishing when hitting the clip straight through that normally causes crack-offs, although a beast or numpty can do it at longer range, and I am that numpty as I can crack-off with my sea gear with a leader. The sudden stop and pressure just above the knot I think is what causes the break.

When I got onto the syndicate 3 years ago, I did initially start with separate marker and spod rod, but after finding some lovely far bank features to use as aiming points, felt I could dispense with one rod.

It is rare for me to spod on there at much above 70metres, very little long distance fishing needed, so I have had the same shockleader and braid on for 3years. 

I've played with knots from braid to leader, and came up with an overhand knot on the leader, and a 4/5 turn uni knot through the overhand and up the leader as my 'goto' for all my fishing.

That's what I found too with straight through 6 wraps and it wasn't like I walloped the clip but I did go through a couple of spombs like that, one didn't open and cracked off as it went through the water leaving a spomb on my spot hardly ideal. I don't use spombs now either for that reason. 😂

12 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

The only reason I use a Spomb is because boilies mixed with particle don't always come out of a spod. 

They somehow jam up against each other.

Wolf spod opens every time and casts truer, much better than a Spomb, I also rate the tfg airbomb higher than the spomb they are my two preferences anyway or boat if I want real accuracy 

On the subject of braid I use Berkeley whiplash in 0.8mm = 28lb straight through green in colour which fades over time it’s got a round profile which back in the day it never did have never used a shock leader with braid.  Always wetted the line and reeled in with the tip sunk underwater if I was able. 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Wolf spod opens every time and casts truer, much better than a Spomb, I also rate the tfg airbomb higher than the spomb they are my two preferences anyway or boat if I want real accuracy 

How do you find the wolf spod when using particles? Gonna pick up a few spombs for my next trip but might try a wolf spod as well 🤔

2 hours ago, jh92 said:

How do you find the wolf spod when using particles? Gonna pick up a few spombs for my next trip but might try a wolf spod as well 🤔

It will handle anything you put in it tbh and you can run it over and it will still work 😂

Since having mine I've only had 2 none opens, my fault for getting bait in the spring inside at the top 🙄🙄

Screenshot_20230707_201530_Gallery.thumb.jpg.48b9fd743368a9662693d1f171946c77.jpg

Mate has the competition spod, but they are nowhere near as good as the performance spod.

On 28/08/2023 at 13:43, elmoputney said:

That's fair enough I used to do that most braids it was fine. But now I just use one as whatever the distance I don't

On 28/08/2023 at 16:54, salokcinnodrog said:

to mess about adding a shock leader when I want one, I had the same one on for ages, I also prefer it on my line holding finger to the braided line and think I get better feel from it. And less likely to slice my finger off when casting. 

What shockleader be best, I'm on bit of shopping spree now...

Yesterday - The Nash Bag to match Scope R10.

Today - Camo pop up cradle (ordered this morning), Sticky Manilla Boilies (later when out).....Korda Arma Kord 50lb ???

1 hour ago, Highy said:

Today - Camo pop up cradle (ordered this morning), Sticky Manilla Boilies (later when out).....Korda Arma Kord 50lb ???

I use either 30lb Amnesia, clear or black (black is more supple), or Drennan Grey Greased Weasel in 40lb. (https://www.drennantackle.com/products/line/greased-weasel/)

The grey seems softer than the hi-viz colours.

I go through the Amnesia faster as it is also boom material on combi-rigs.

I do lighter blob the ends of the leader material 'just in case', although I've never had an overhand loop pull free from casting. I have had a pull through when using hooklink braid to Amnesia, cost me a fish, but my fault for not checking as I'd just landed a 20lb carp on that hooklink, and just recast it.

I've been keeping half an eye on developments and apparently Fisheries in 🇫🇷 France are banning The Twig, Les Quis is in this list.

4 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I use either 30lb Amnesia, clear or black (black is more supple), or Drennan Grey Greased Weasel in 40lb. (https://www.drennantackle.com/products/line/greased-weasel/)

The grey seems softer than the hi-viz colours.

I go through the Amnesia faster as it is also boom material on combi-rigs.

I do lighter blob the ends of the leader material 'just in case', although I've never had an overhand loop pull free from casting. I have had a pull through when using hooklink braid to Amnesia, cost me a fish, but my fault for not checking as I'd just landed a 20lb carp on that hooklink, and just recast it.

I've been keeping half an eye on developments and apparently Fisheries in 🇫🇷 France are banning The Twig, Les Quis is in this list.

It would have to be something from the Local Go Outdoors / Fishing Republic for my Shockleader....Fox, Korda, Korum something I know will be in stock.

What knot will be best for tying Spod Braid (Korda Bsix 30lb) to a Shock leader. 

1 hour ago, Highy said:

I've only used the Gardner kinetic one that is decent lasts ages but I am sure most of the top ones would be OK I think 

Nick what knot would you use on a mono snag leader to Mainline I've been using the uni knot (10 turn) and it seems strong when I pull it tight but I did have one go on me last week 

Would blobbing the leader be the difference? 

I usually use a mahin knot if there is a lot of difference between the thickness of the lines or a back to back grinner if similar or tapered leader.

an albrite knot works well apparently but I only use that on a combi rig lol

i think blobbing will just catch in the rings more surely??

Edited by framey