What do I do?

obi123

hi all theres been fish ripping up the bottom on one spot off and on for days .bubbles sheeting up .silt clouding up the water.no one can get a pick up from there .ive tried pop ups .wafters.bottom baits.tigers.maggotts .worms . corn. Its do frustrating knowing their in there feeding .any ideas lads and lasses

I’ve found in the past when they are feeding on bloodworm deep in the silt, they can be annoyingly difficult to catch! My only success has been a small medusa rig with only a few red maggots, or I tear my hair out, cut my losses and try find them feeding somewhere else! I find they turn their noses up at “usual” carp baits, sometimes a small dendrobena might produce, something that they may expect to find there whilst rooting around. I’ve tried a bit of freelined bread flake in the past, but in my opinion, if they are preoccupied on the tiny goodies buried gill deep in silt, it can be a struggle to get them to focus on something else. 

I've had margin spots boiling like a couldren and couldn't get a bite. Normally it happened when I used to literally place a spod only about 20 foot from the bank and the loose feed was literally on a bin lid. We get done far more often they we think. Conventional wisdom says to put a lot of boilies out but spread them so the fish have to move between mouthfuls and that makes them more hookable.

I honestly think the bottom where your fishing could be like soup, what I mean is light silt sitting in a gulley, your lead hits the bottom through it but your pop-up or balanced wafter which I assume you're using is sitting up in the soup, fish are feeding beneath your baits, hence the suggestion that you try a heavy bottom bait.

I'm dead sure I've had this happen to me and a heavy bottom bait is the only thing I didn't try, your above them, carp bury their heads deep in soft silt to feed.

Give it a try fella, could be the answer, or a very heavy bag, 4oz lead or more - not much bait 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2023 at 20:10, ouchthathurt said:

I’ve found in the past when they are feeding on bloodworm deep in the silt, they can be annoyingly difficult to catch! My only success has been a small medusa rig with only a few red maggots, or I tear my hair out, cut my losses and try find them feeding somewhere else! I find they turn their noses up at “usual” carp baits, sometimes a small dendrobena might produce, something that they may expect to find there whilst rooting around. I’ve tried a bit of freelined bread flake in the past, but in my opinion, if they are preoccupied on the tiny goodies buried gill deep in silt, it can be a struggle to get them to focus on something else. 

On 23/07/2023 at 18:32, obi123 said:

hi all theres been fish ripping up the bottom on one spot off and on for days .bubbles sheeting up .silt clouding up the water.no one can get a pick up from there .ive tried pop ups .wafters.bottom baits.tigers.maggotts .worms . corn. Its do frustrating knowing their in there feeding .any ideas lads and lasses

Oh boy can that be fun...

NOT!

The way I found to get them was to pick that spot and heavily bait over it, and I mean heavy, a 5litre or more bucket of groundbait; my favoured choice was* Vitalin and particles, hemp, birdfood, and pellets with some small boilies mixed in and fish with a couple of 8 or 10mm baits on a hair. No need for finesse, either a lead on a lead link or run ring and a standard braid or coated braid knotless knotted rig.

*was: I think that Vitalin has been discontinued, so my alternative is Mollased Rabbit mix with flaked maize, although you do want or even need to pour boiling water on it 24hours before use.