Splicing needles that don't suck ?????

elmoputney

I seem to be going through more splicing needles than I catch fish at the moment. I've recently broken 4 or 5 trying to make some leaders and as the pic shows I've tried a few 😂

3 thinking anglers ones ( not good ) 

Avid retracta (broke easily) 

Fox blue( lasted a while) 

Other one was just another broken needle I had lying about but it makes more of a case as I have got through an awful lot lately. 

I don't think i am particularly ham fisted and have made leaders before. Can anyone recommend a bulletproof fine latch needle that's good for splicing and won't just break please ? 

IMG_20230404_161154.thumb.jpg.2d307e570dc333c439529af0f2f43a4b.jpg

22 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

I’ve always used the ESP ones mate, they come several in a pack and I’ve got one or two that have lasted years. The korda ones have done me well, but something so fine wire will break sooner or later I reckon 

Thanks not sure I've tried the esp or korda ones so I may give them a go 👍

2 hours ago, framey said:

The esp ones are good 

the fox ones in the link are currently the ones I use 

haven’t broken one yet

https://tacklebox.co.uk/terminal-tackle/rigs-and-rig-accessories/fox-edges-easy-splice-needle/

Thanks I did use an easy splice one for a while but I bent it all out of shape and couldn't get it back lol 

39 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Thanks I did use an easy splice one for a while but I bent it all out of shape and couldn't get it back lol 

What you going through 

brick lol

have you tried the Keith moors knot 

it’s a knotless knot for leadcore

Edited by framey

I use the esp ones with korda leadcore mate, without any issues, one thing I do after removing the lead wire section prior to splicing the loop is pinch the end of the leadcore and above the break of the lead wire and loosen the braided section up, that way it splices easier. 

On 04/04/2023 at 16:27, ouchthathurt said:

I’ve always used the ESP ones mate, they come several in a pack and I’ve got one or two that have lasted years. The korda ones have done me well, but something so fine wire will break sooner or later I reckon 

Sounds like your the leadcore splicing don making 1 last a few years 🤣.

Last time I had a leadcore leader splicing session I snapped 2 out of 3 brand new esp needles in 10 mins, after that I was a bit more gentle took my time and got back into the swing of it and managed to make the last one last a whole spool of leadcore. I banged up a load of Korda hybrid Qc lead clips on 1 meter leaders but now I decided I like using the Korda heli safes more so it’s time for another session because I don’t really want them to be shorter than a meter, but this time I have bought an ngt stainless steel splicing needle looks a lot lot tougher I will share my opinion on it when i get to work 

On 08/04/2023 at 00:03, Danny Hearn said:

Sounds like your the leadcore splicing don making 1 last a few years 🤣.

Last time I had a leadcore leader splicing session I snapped 2 out of 3 brand new esp needles in 10 mins, after that I was a bit more gentle took my time and got back into the swing of it and managed to make the last one last a whole spool of leadcore. I banged up a load of Korda hybrid Qc lead clips on 1 meter leaders but now I decided I like using the Korda heli safes more so it’s time for another session because I don’t really want them to be shorter than a meter, but this time I have bought an ngt stainless steel splicing needle looks a lot lot tougher I will share my opinion on it when i get to work 

Sadly the Ngt needle too thick for the Korda leadcore I am using 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Carpbell3 said:

Just bought a pack of three by thinking angler had to look at the tips as one pack was already carrying a broken one look a bit thin but I only need them to tie a few very short leadcore leaders 8 to 12 Ince for a inline set up just enough so the mainline is not kicking up at the lead.

I broke the thinking anglers ones very easily tbh. Done a few with the korda one now and that seems good so far 

8 hours ago, B B said:

In my defence of breaking them i have got hands like Pat Jennings.. rust was a problem on mine always got my box open.. 🤔 tackle box 

I now save the little packs that collect moisture they come in the box when you buy trainers I pop them in the tackle box and my gadget bag 

That is a genius idea "silica gel" I can get some tennis ball industrial sized ones of those not great for a tackle box but could put them in my bag and stuff. 

46 minutes ago, Carpbell3 said:

Ha, snapped the first on on the first use looks like you really need to line the tag end up to pass through without the material doubling up in the splice, tricky, you bet.

I'm glad it wasn't just me that struggled with those ones, I found they snapped easily. Korda one is better and you can pull it through ok 

Are you putting the needle in the very edge and fluffing it up (ooh errr mrs)

and a little rocking back and forth  of the needle until the ends are in 

this is why I now use the Keith moors knotless leadcore knot as it is so much easier than trying to splice and double it back through on 2 ends 

Edited by framey

I've just used the small, blue handled from this set, to splice some Gardener camflex lead free leader.

A bit fiddly. Definitely an art to it, and practise needed, but no dramas, two good splices, and a good needle.

Apparently easier with heavier lead ore, so try 65lb if the 45lb is too fiddly (and it is fiddly!)

Good luck bud 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NGT-Fishing-Tackle-Tool-Set/dp/B00GJW0P9O/ref=asc_df_B00GJW0P9O/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218046489762&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15610305575061201744&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045078&hvtargid=pla-426455486375&psc=1

Edited by dalej2014