Wraps

callum23

Think I have fully confused myself so just looking for a bit of help , was at a new lake recently and I was talking to the owner and he was suggesting a spot 10 wraps out and 8 wraps out, he fishes 12 foots but my rods are 11ft and I use a 10ft spod and marker rod, should I wrap up to the same amount of wraps or is it  different, sorry if I’m being stupid, thanks in advance 

If you want to use his spots then have the sticks 12ft apart otherwise you’ll end up short of those spots. 
i.e. if you did 11ft wraps you’d end up 10ft short, losing 1ft per wrap you did. 

you could always work out the additional ft required from 12ft wraps and use 11 or 10ft wraps and then not tell anyone that you do this, they’ll all fish long if they happen to find out what wraps you’re fishing at 😂 sneaky! 

Edited by greekskii

I was fishing Oxlease on the linear complex when another fisherman popped into my swim for a chat … 7 am 😳 this was winter time the bivvy was zipped up and I was tired having luckily had 2 fish in the early hours, I heard the tell tale crunch crunch of the gravel then a pause then a cough or two bit of a pause again then a alright mate ?  then a bit of a pause then a mate you awake yet ??   I am now says I… bit of a pause again I seen your head torch on in the dark how big was your fish and get this where was your spot 😳 I gave it a extra long drawn out pause for affect and replied the fish were small and the spots went when I reached 17…then came the longest pause of all broken by the crunch crunch of the gravel and the mumblings receding into the distance.  

We keep getting wrapped up in the definition of wraps, which I still rarely use. I automatically convert to a distance, probably because I still walk my rods out to clip up. 

I can do wraps, using spare stainless bankstick's, but prefer to walk them out and count the distance. I found I get less line twist. 

A wrap is usually 12feet or 3.65metres, although as has been said 12ft6in rods will be different and 13ft or 3.9m sticks set at rod length will be different again. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/01/2022 at 18:51, B B said:

I was fishing Oxlease on the linear complex when another fisherman popped into my swim for a chat … 7 am 😳 this was winter time the bivvy was zipped up and I was tired having luckily had 2 fish in the early hours, I heard the tell tale crunch crunch of the gravel then a pause then a cough or two bit of a pause again then a alright mate ?  then a bit of a pause then a mate you awake yet ??   I am now says I… bit of a pause again I seen your head torch on in the dark how big was your fish and get this where was your spot 😳 I gave it a extra long drawn out pause for affect and replied the fish were small and the spots went when I reached 17…then came the longest pause of all broken by the crunch crunch of the gravel and the mumblings receding into the distance.  

I did a bit of work experience at Oxford Linear Fisheries and got asked about spots as I was walking around the lakes quite frequently. Unfortunately for them I barely even knew the names of the lakes and I got a few funny looks when I mentioned as much. In my three weeks there, I fished only one night. Apparently the "swim" I was fishing was actually more of a hole in the bush. I was also made aware that I was stitching up the best swim on the lake to fish this "hole in the bush" which I'm sure nobody moaned about! 😄