Spodding

I think we've had this Topic before, but as of New Year, I will be starting to be Spodding. 

I recently purchased the Sonik Spod & Marker Rod with the Spod Reel (NO Braid). 

What is a decent braid and leader setup? I was looking at the actual Spomb Braid 20lb and Leader 50lb. 

A decent Spod /Spomb? The actual Spomb? 

When would be a good time spodding.... Also seen a decent stretch on a Canal to Spod? 

3 hours ago, Highy said:

I think we've had this Topic before, but as of New Year, I will be starting to be Spodding. 

What is a decent braid and leader setup? I was looking at the actual Spomb Braid 20lb and Leader 50lb. 

When would be a good time spodding.... Also seen a decent stretch on a Canal to Spod? 

I thought you'd tried spodding before and didn't get on with it. What's changed your mind?👍

13 minutes ago, finchey said:

I thought you'd tried spodding before and didn't get on with it. What's changed your mind?👍

I couldn't, but last few sessions was doing some markering about and found 1 or 2 likely spots on the park lake. 

Not many people do this there, so I thought give baiting a try on it. 

Also, my mate put his name down just before me for Prince Albert ticket and got the go ahead yesterday, so maybe me in a few weeks and some waters need it on there. 

Also Also, some waters next year I want to go to react to bait out far. 

3 hours ago, Highy said:

I wouldn’t spod on a canal personally I’d go down the baiting pole route as it’s quieter 

canal fish are not used to having a spomb chucked on them as 99% of the time they live in relative peace lol

4 minutes ago, framey said:

I wouldn’t spod on a canal personally I’d go down the baiting pole route as it’s quieter 

canal fish are not used to having a spomb chucked on them as 99% of the time they live in relative peace lol

True, there's 2 areas I've found, 1 is literally under arm baiting, 1 is a turning point for boats, but never seen em turn. Maybe a pultable area? 

But deffo want to try the Canal. 

I still recommend Gardner kinetic spod braid and they also do a kinetic shockleader, which is also nice to use and I've not had any issues all year with them 👍, best braid I've used so far and I've tried a few, ( fox exocet it's the worst ever still 😁

If I can pult though I pult,and I've started trying to use baits that don't need spodding because pulting is quicker and easier to use when prebaiting, naturally it depends on distance but 1 bucket mixed sized  boilies 18mm+11mm pellets, it spreads a bit but good enough for me  😁

for some reason I think the fish get sucked in by the plopping sound of bait, 

2 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I still recommend Gardner kinetic spod braid and they also do a kinetic shockleader, which is also nice to use and I've not had any issues all year with them 👍, best braid I've used so far and I've tried a few, ( fox exocet it's the worst ever still 😁

If I can pult though I pult,and I've started trying to use baits that don't need spodding because pulting is quicker and easier to use when prebaiting, naturally it depends on distance but 1 bucket mixed sized  boilies 18mm+11mm pellets, it spreads a bit but good enough for me  😁

I agree on day tickets or popular places but quiet areas I think the fish would generally spook 

day before fishing may be a different story

1 minute ago, elmoputney said:

The Rod will be used for Marking and Spodding, can you use a leader with a Marker lead, or can I use a Decent braid straight through.... A Decent braid that will be let me to cast about 60yrds at most so far with no leader. 

2 minutes ago, framey said:

I agree on day tickets or popular places but quiet areas I think the fish would generally spook 

day before fishing may be a different story

Got a spot literally 5 mins from me on Canal, hardly seen boats on it... Will deffo be giving it a go, but Canal Carp can be anywhere, so want to get a spot going,  but don't know when to start it on the canal. 

On the day tickets/club waters/Park lake... Will be trying out the Spod on the areas I've found. 

Edited by Highy

4 minutes ago, Highy said:

The Rod will be used for Marking and Spodding, can you use a leader with a Marker lead, or can I use a Decent braid straight through.... A Decent braid that will be let me to cast about 60yrds at most so far with no leader. 

Yes you can mate I leave mine set up with the double loop trick on the leader and just change it for whatever I want to use it for, I haven't had to change the shock leader all year yet 😁

I set mine up so when it's ready to cast it has 5 turns round the spool of leader before the knot , even though I'm not a distance chucker I now think it's best to use a shock leader as it just makes casting seem sort of less tensiony and springy 😁

3 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Yes you can mate I leave mine set up with the double loop trick on the leader and just change it for whatever I want to use it for, I haven't had to change the shock leader all year yet 😁

I set mine up so when it's ready to cast it has 5 turns round the spool of leader before the knot , even though I'm not a distance chucker I now think it's best to use a shock leader as it just makes casting seem sort of less tensiony and springy 😁

Just looking at Tackle box latest breaking strains... Apart from Berkley Fireline Braid/Tournament Braid... The Gardner Kinetic and Spomb Braid both in 20lb with a 50lb shock leader is looking the best 2.

1 hour ago, Highy said:

You have a leader on Elmo? 

I did and didn't tbh the fox stuff would break whatever its rubbish, I cast it 6 wraps and it snapped up thr line and I had to handline it back in with a loaded spomb that hadn't opened 😬

35lb is plenty thin enough for most situations tbh,, don't see the point risking it with 20lb 

slightly off topic, but I posted this a while ago about canal fishing, it might be of some use to you mate 

I love getting on the canals, always approaching them with the same basic game plan mate. 

firstly, location is the most obvious thing, however it's surprising how often it is skipped over. Often, canal carp are not as pressured as their lake brethren, so can be easier to see and pin down. You say that one section is relatively featureless? I would hit that with a prebaiting campaign. My start would be with hemp/particle/corn/pellet with a few boilies added. Keep it going in initially to attract all species. As much as I want to stop other species in their tracks, I won't go straight for boilies until I know carp are visiting regularly. Flowing water carp (river/canal) tend to be very nomadic, especially in stretches where there are little in the way of cover or features to hold them, this is where I would attempt to create a reason for them to visit a chosen spot time and again  using bait. Once I was happy I knew carp were hitting the spot regularly, I would do away with pellet and corn etc and wean them into boilies to deter the nuisance species and target the carp better. 

Although flowing water carp are less pressured, they can be spooky - catching one carp off a prebaited spot can spook the others and they often drift away, so I try get as many spots going as possible. Then I can leapfrog the carp on the move and be set up waiting as they reach my next spot. Good thing about most canals is you can follow the carp along the bank. 

More of my successes come from sections with lots of features and bushes etc, boats and marinas are good places to try. Get a mountain bike and some polaroids and go searching. Carp are always gonna drift from one section to another, unless something holds them. Lock gates, weir pools etc. I find once i am on fish, they're catchable, the trick is to find them first. Find them,  feed them, catch them...

Rigs wise, I tend not to get too riggy anyway, I believe location and quality bait is key anywhere, especially on a canal or river. Long casting is generally not an issue, so I tend to go for strong and simple gear. My main line is .35mm Shimano technium, (got 20lb b/s on testing it myself) with leadclips or inlines as a lead arrangement. Hooklinks are often just mono or a tough coated braid. Simple knotless knot to a strong size 4 hook. I'm an avid leadcore user,  although I'll also use rigtube as happily. I want something tough and abrasion resistant, not all techy and complicated. If bottom debris and crayfish are an issue, then pop ups would be my choice, if I can present a bottom bait without any problems, then I'd go for that first. 

Backleading to prevent boats/kayakers etc catching my lines is important as well as keeping my gear on the path clear so walkers/cyclists don't run it down! I like to keep light and mobile so I can keep moving onto fish if my present spot isn't producing, before finding a night spot in a quiet stretch to do an overnighter. - this I bait regularly to keep the carp interested. Somewhere a little less snaggy and more open for fish safety reasons after dark. It's ok fishing locked up in the weedy/snaggy bits in the day where you can be on it and in control quickly but at night, I want it a bit more risk free where a run off a clutch won't cause issues. The carp will leave the snags and explore more at night anyway, so you make the best of both worlds. 

FInally, if you can rake the swims of crud and bait them, then try it - if all you do is clear a load of litter off the canal bed, then it's a good thing! I'd try get as much out as possible, anglers are guardians of our environment, rubbish is an eyesore and anglers tend to get blamed - more flak we could all do without, even if we are blameless. Clear the spots, with the rubbish and the carp gods will smile on you. 

Canals and rivers are tricky venues, but I love them. They fish through the winter too usually, I've got a little canal lined up this winter... 

Good luck mate. 

•  

46 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

slightly off topic, but I posted this a while ago about canal fishing, it might be of some use to you mate 

I love getting on the canals, always approaching them with the same basic game plan mate. 

firstly, location is the most obvious thing, however it's surprising how often it is skipped over. Often, canal carp are not as pressured as their lake brethren, so can be easier to see and pin down. You say that one section is relatively featureless? I would hit that with a prebaiting campaign. My start would be with hemp/particle/corn/pellet with a few boilies added. Keep it going in initially to attract all species. As much as I want to stop other species in their tracks, I won't go straight for boilies until I know carp are visiting regularly. Flowing water carp (river/canal) tend to be very nomadic, especially in stretches where there are little in the way of cover or features to hold them, this is where I would attempt to create a reason for them to visit a chosen spot time and again  using bait. Once I was happy I knew carp were hitting the spot regularly, I would do away with pellet and corn etc and wean them into boilies to deter the nuisance species and target the carp better. 

Although flowing water carp are less pressured, they can be spooky - catching one carp off a prebaited spot can spook the others and they often drift away, so I try get as many spots going as possible. Then I can leapfrog the carp on the move and be set up waiting as they reach my next spot. Good thing about most canals is you can follow the carp along the bank. 

More of my successes come from sections with lots of features and bushes etc, boats and marinas are good places to try. Get a mountain bike and some polaroids and go searching. Carp are always gonna drift from one section to another, unless something holds them. Lock gates, weir pools etc. I find once i am on fish, they're catchable, the trick is to find them first. Find them,  feed them, catch them...

Rigs wise, I tend not to get too riggy anyway, I believe location and quality bait is key anywhere, especially on a canal or river. Long casting is generally not an issue, so I tend to go for strong and simple gear. My main line is .35mm Shimano technium, (got 20lb b/s on testing it myself) with leadclips or inlines as a lead arrangement. Hooklinks are often just mono or a tough coated braid. Simple knotless knot to a strong size 4 hook. I'm an avid leadcore user,  although I'll also use rigtube as happily. I want something tough and abrasion resistant, not all techy and complicated. If bottom debris and crayfish are an issue, then pop ups would be my choice, if I can present a bottom bait without any problems, then I'd go for that first. 

Backleading to prevent boats/kayakers etc catching my lines is important as well as keeping my gear on the path clear so walkers/cyclists don't run it down! I like to keep light and mobile so I can keep moving onto fish if my present spot isn't producing, before finding a night spot in a quiet stretch to do an overnighter. - this I bait regularly to keep the carp interested. Somewhere a little less snaggy and more open for fish safety reasons after dark. It's ok fishing locked up in the weedy/snaggy bits in the day where you can be on it and in control quickly but at night, I want it a bit more risk free where a run off a clutch won't cause issues. The carp will leave the snags and explore more at night anyway, so you make the best of both worlds. 

FInally, if you can rake the swims of crud and bait them, then try it - if all you do is clear a load of litter off the canal bed, then it's a good thing! I'd try get as much out as possible, anglers are guardians of our environment, rubbish is an eyesore and anglers tend to get blamed - more flak we could all do without, even if we are blameless. Clear the spots, with the rubbish and the carp gods will smile on you. 

Canals and rivers are tricky venues, but I love them. They fish through the winter too usually, I've got a little canal lined up this winter... 

Good luck mate. 

•  

When would be a good time to pre bait on a canal... Im venturing down too the 2 spots I've got lined up on Mo day for a look, then I'm gonna start stocking up on bait for it...Cirn, Pellets, Flake, Boilies, will get particle nearer the baiting time. 

You need to hit it before they start shutting down 

no food means they will go torpid and not want to feed 

if you keep it going in they will feed in the coldest crappiest days.

don’t be too keen to rape the spot and if you can keep a couple going and catch between them 

1 minute ago, framey said:

You need to hit it before they start shutting down 

no food means they will go torpid and not want to feed 

if you keep it going in they will feed in the coldest crappiest days.

don’t be too keen to rape the spot and if you can keep a couple going and catch between them 

I'll get all prepped from next week... 

At the moment I've had to take a break from fishing now, personal reasons in the family.... Hopefully back in New Year, but inbetween will be buying the things I need for a fresh start and to line up my canal areas. 

I'm down for a day at the Northern Angling Show in Feb and might hold out for Monster Particles if there at the show. 

Also be renewing my syndicate lake and they've had a new water put onto it also. 

On 27/10/2021 at 16:36, Highy said:

Just looking at Tackle box latest breaking strains... Apart from Berkley Fireline Braid/Tournament Braid... The Gardner Kinetic and Spomb Braid both in 20lb with a 50lb shock leader is looking the best 2.

This is what I use for spodding and marker/leading around with a leader. Worked out with a medium Spomb I can drop down to 30lb Amnesia

16354529305361984537976291276959.jpg

7 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

This is what I use for spodding and marker/leading around with a leader. Worked out with a medium Spomb I can drop down to 30lb Amnesia

16354529305361984537976291276959.jpg

The 50lb Angry Fish is £17 for 1000mtr, Amnesia 30lb £5.50 for 100m.... Good reviews on them both I found, but so far I'm still thinking the Gardner Kinetic. 

On 27/10/2021 at 10:37, Highy said:

What is a decent braid and leader setup?

Completely depend on what you want to do mate.

If you'll be baiting lightly at 30 yards you'll get away with a small spomb on your carp rods with mono. If you're filling it in at 100+ it's time for braid/leaders.

I personally use 40 or 50 lb braid straight through for anything up to 100 yards. Dead easy.

You really don't need to get too fancy unless you're planning on going mega long.

I'm with some of the other in that if I can get away with the catty or stick I will. I'll only use the spod if distance requires it, the type of bait requires it, or if the spot is too tight for using a stick. Unfortunately the water I'm on at the moment means that I have to spod every session. Bit of a ball ache tbh.