Deeper question

I bought one of the very first Deeper sounders as soon as they became available. I have to say it is a miracle of technology and have been very happy with it. Now the GPS does not work and I can only use it in “boat” mode using my phone’s GPS for position.

I want to buy a new one but see that now there are a lot of options (with prices to match). I understand the science between different frequencies and I understand the CHIRP technology. However, I cannot find my way past the marketing speak on their web site. It seems to infer that you can use all three frequencies using CHIRP technology. Surely it cannot scan all three frequencies in one pulse? It would make the pulse far too long. So am I right in thinking you have to select which frequency you want to use (100, 240, or 675).

If this is the case does the CHIRP technology work on each of these three frequencies? And, for the frequency it works on, what is the range of frequencies in the pulse? This might be listed in the manual under specifications.

If anyone has used one of these new versions, it would be interesting to hear if it makes much difference in normal fishing situations.

24 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

don't know much about sonar, but the guys that use it rate the new chirp as it works in very shallow water where as the non chirp is not as accurate. a guy uses one on the lakes i fish and he does really well on all three waters. 

Thanks for that Carpbell. I noticed the shallow spec in the marketing blurb but I seem to only fish deep water around here. Very interested to hear experience of actual use especially if someone has used new and old versions.

I think you are quoting the cone angle rather than the frequency Elmo but I understand your comment.

However it is not quite what I was getting at. A CHIRP pulse, instead of sending out a single frequency pulse, sends out a pulse which changes in frequency during the pulse. I used a lot of echo sounders in my working life but I retired before CHIRP technology became available. My query is really to understand the difference between a CHIRP sounding and a single frequency sounding. Over the depths we carp anglers are likely to use does it make much difference? I understand that the CHIRP can be switched on or off. Has anyone with one of these new fangled gizmos tried this and was there a practical difference?

10 hours ago, framey said:

I’m like Elmo only have the pro plus and that goes over my head lol and it stays in the shed most of the time

I used mine to pretty good effect the other week, I found some fish fizzing around a massive weed bed chucked it on top,away from them a bit slowly dragged it back, found the edge of the weed and a clear spot in 1 cast, plopped a rig and bait out with the 6m baiting pole 5m later this one was hooked, I almost wanted to say boom then 😂

2106087298_sus21lberearith.thumb.JPG.bb26b998420fe415a15429acbd147efa.thumb.jpeg.924dc3db6653b9e509b6279a039e9e22.jpeg

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

I used mine to pretty good effect the other week, I found some fish fizzing around a massive weed bed chucked it on top,away from them a bit slowly dragged it back, found the edge of the weed and a clear spot in 1 cast, plopped a rig and bait out with the 6m baiting pole 5m later this one was hooked, I almost wanted to say boom then 😂

2106087298_sus21lberearith.thumb.JPG.bb26b998420fe415a15429acbd147efa.thumb.jpeg.924dc3db6653b9e509b6279a039e9e22.jpeg

it was definitely a boom moment 

I would also like to add i don't really understand mine that well sometimes i mess about with the settings a little, usually use the narrow beam sensitivity set about 80% or so, then I just chuck it out and usually all I find is loads of weed, then If I find a clear or clearish spot just feel for a drop and hope for the best, in an ideal world I know my spots already and don't use it, but it does help you find things you wouldn't find in a month of Sundays,or as above with minimum fuss and disturbance, in many ways a lead is better or still essential but it does help a bit, for example I have fished one swim a lot and I never knew there was a nice raised hump until I chucked the deeper out, for now this is covered in weed but it will become a spot once the weed dies back, to clear it would make the swim look too fish able so im holding off 😂

5 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

i have often thought about getting a deeper, i think it would be too much for me i can't even work the how to use videos out, it would end up in the tackle box next to the gemini ARC lead system i have never used. 

It's not that complicated tbh, just set it to the right mode and away you go, then it's just a case of messing about with it to see what you want, 

On 15/09/2021 at 08:23, elmoputney said:

...  chucked it on top,away from them a bit slowly dragged it back, found the edge of the weed and a clear spot in

Yes, as well as exploring new waters , that is a good way to use it. I am almost persuaded to stick with the Pro +. I was just curious to find out if anyone has shelled out more than £100 for a chirp version and if they found any extra benefits

22 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

i have often thought about getting a deeper, i think it would be too much for me i can't even work the how to use videos out, it would end up in the tackle box next to the gemini ARC lead system i have never used. 

The Deeper makes a complex technology really easy to use. The Gemini ARC lead system makes a simple technology really complicated.

2 hours ago, carpepecheur said:

Yes, as well as exploring new waters , that is a good way to use it. I am almost persuaded to stick with the Pro +. I was just curious to find out if anyone has shelled out more than £100 for a chirp version and if they found any extra benefits

The Deeper makes a complex technology really easy to use. The Gemini ARC lead system makes a simple technology really complicated.

the leads didn't make past the testing casts, worked ok until you try to control the line mid cast, you have to land it like a spomb or it wont release., be good for a pub chuck on a massive water like the north sea. 

• 6 months later...

I’ve been looking into these . Not that I’ll be getting one especially , I have much more essential stuff to get/upgrade/find the money for .

Its just that I’m having difficulty understanding the difference between the different versions , especially the two newest versions . 
Im not very tech minded anyway but can anybody clear this up for me in layman’s terms ?

it seems to me that the newest one charges quicker and lasts longer but the difference apart from that isn’t apparent to me ?

I would have thought that to pay £300+ for one of these you may as well get a bait boat.

If you’re that way inclined of course .

18 minutes ago, newmarket said:

I’ve been looking into these . Not that I’ll be getting one especially , I have much more essential stuff to get/upgrade/find the money for .

Its just that I’m having difficulty understanding the difference between the different versions , especially the two newest versions . 
Im not very tech minded anyway but can anybody clear this up for me in layman’s terms ?

it seems to me that the newest one charges quicker and lasts longer but the difference apart from that isn’t apparent to me ?

I would have thought that to pay £300+ for one of these you may as well get a bait boat.

If you’re that way inclined of course .

the latest ones also give the best detail the sand coloured one works best from what i have been told it's not just the deeper nearly every lake including syndicates is mapped out on the deeper site, get the app and you can work wraps out water depth and shelf changes you can sign up with a debit card and cancel anytime, gives you satellite maps so you can see trees and bars.

https://maps.fishdeeper.com/en-ww

11 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

the latest ones also give the best detail the sand coloured one works best from what i have been told it's not just the deeper nearly every lake including syndicates is mapped out on the deeper site, get the app and you can work wraps out water depth and shelf changes you can sign up with a debit card and cancel anytime, gives you satellite maps so you can see trees and bars.

https://maps.fishdeeper.com/en-ww

Thanks CB , appreciate that but w hat is meant by better detail exactly ?

Anybody else in the know ?

14 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Thanks CB , appreciate that but w hat is meant by better detail exactly ?

Anybody else in the know ?

I had mine out this morning, was like a mill pond and know shows.... 

Screenshot_20220402_131629_eu.deeper.fishdeeper.thumb.jpg.755cdfdecdba2b8ef5cfa9b5fa6548b6.jpg

11.5 wraps arrow straight out in front of me. 

20+ fish, I had 1 on the deck and 1 at 4ft zig.... 

I look for depth, hills, bumps, also fish when it gets hard. 

10 minutes ago, Highy said:

I had mine out this morning, was like a mill pond and know shows.... 

Screenshot_20220402_131629_eu.deeper.fishdeeper.thumb.jpg.755cdfdecdba2b8ef5cfa9b5fa6548b6.jpg

11.5 wraps arrow straight out in front of me. 

20+ fish, I had 1 on the deck and 1 at 4ft zig.... 

I look for depth, hills, bumps, also fish when it gets hard. 

Okkaaay mate , I get that … which version do you have ? Is it the latest version ? If so what does it do that the previous version can’t ?

Similarly (is that a word ?) if you use the previous version what could the sandy coloured one give you that yours doesn’t ?

7 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Okkaaay mate , I get that … which version do you have ? Is it the latest version ? If so what does it do that the previous version can’t ?

Similarly (is that a word ?) if you use the previous version what could the sandy coloured one give you that yours doesn’t ?

It's my 1st ever deeper, this is Deeper Chirp+, think this version gives you better sonar for narrow spots. 

There’s obviously something I’m not getting here . 
Having googled these things a million times and scoured this forum and others for info , everybody except obviously the super rich ones seem to utilise the deeper chirp+ .

yet on the deeper website there are 4 different types on the market .

The Deeper smart fishfinder (most basic)

The Deeper Pro

The Deeper Smart Sonar PRO+ 2

The Deeper Smart Sonar CHIRP+ 2

No mention anywhere of this Deeper Chirp+ that everybody seems to use ?

Confused.com

I use a deeper pro plus, It is good enough for what I want it for which is generally trying to find spots in weed or clearer areas to focus on, I use it to check depths and this time of year, I use it to try and locate warmer areas of water, I think the chirp has better sonar, but I didn't want to spend loads on it, I'm happy enough with what the pro+ tells me 

12 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I use a deeper pro plus, It is good enough for what I want it for which is generally trying to find spots in weed or clearer areas to focus on, I use it to check depths and this time of year, I use it to try and locate warmer areas of water, I think the chirp has better sonar, but I didn't want to spend loads on it, I'm happy enough with what the pro+ tells me 

Thanks for chipping in Elmo I appreciate that . Can then one of you identify which one THIS is ? 

g

ADB213E9-D775-4DF0-BF51-43DD99607A25.png

38 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Thanks for chipping in Elmo I appreciate that . Can then one of you identify which one THIS is ? 

g

ADB213E9-D775-4DF0-BF51-43DD99607A25.png

Deepe Chirp+, exactly what I use this 1....belting bit of kit I reckon.... Also just had an update and now has a "Bait Boat" feature for using.