Reality of carp fishing

Slepy

Morning anglers,

I'm fairly new to the sport and have been fishing for carp sine 2018. 

One thing I have noticed is the pressure in the angling community applied by the big brands and manufacturers and sponsored anglers. The truth is other then your rods and reels and having your rig amongst hungry carp the rest is irrelevant. I been using cheap lines, home made rigs, variety of bait that some anglers wouldn't think to use and the results were the same as for those having to remortgage their house for a days fishing 😅.  From personal experience and I'm no branded scientist who can speak carp if the fish are hungry they will eat. How often do you open your fridge and don't find what you like and you eat what's there anyway because you are hungry. Obviously the introduction of certain baits does make carp fussy but I found using what never works on a venue for most anglers keeps catching me fish. I fished for carp in the States I had no idea about boilies pellets etc and all we used was a tin of corn and I caught more then I do sometimes on the boilies pellets etc. It's all very well watching monster carp and seeing 70lbs being pulled in like there is no tomorrow, but what they don't show is all the sonars and fish finders they use prior to the amazing footage on TV. Carp fishing  is meant to be a hobby, relaxing inexpensive way to forget about the world. Instead it's a expensive competition between anglers. 

Don't get me wrong it's all personal perception and each individual will feel different about it. In my personal opinion it all comes down to luck. You can have the most attractive bait, best rig in the world etc and you can blank or catch the same way I use whatever I can get my hands on (always safe for the fish) and catch or blank on my basic gear. 

Just yesterday I fished next to a nash angler who was sweating like mad trying all his tactics and god knows what whilst me and my pall had 5 kg of home made bait never used on the venue before and we were hauling carp in like there was no tomorrow. 

If you ask me, yes we probably were landing on a shole of fish but then why did t the expensive bait reel them in of our spot?  

I stand by luck on the day more then the bait and rigs and glugs etc. 

Ps. Feeding carp bait in a tank in a controlled environment doesn't determine success of the bait. 

Tight lines everyone. Stay safe out there. 

I agree with many of your points but disagree about the luck aspect. A good angler will make sure he can find and fish for feeding fish. He'll not just hope that he's landing on a shoal of them. It doesn't matter how good your bait is if you're not on the fish.

Regards tackle I agree that much of it is irrelevant unless you need it for a specific application (distance fishing for example). However, there are some thing that just shouldn't be skimped on and they are lines and hooks - the bits that catch the carp.

Also not worth skimping on bait imo. I'm not sure about the States but here in the UK we have incredibly rich pits of various descriptions, most of which are heavily pressured. Therefore you tend to be competing with huge larders of natural food as well as numerous other anglers. There are plenty of cheap baits that will compete (corn and pellet for example) but if you need the advantages offered by boiled baits it's worth spending some money - cheapo boilies will not compete on anything other than overstocked commercials.

30 minutes ago, Slepy said:

Carp fishing  is meant to be a hobby, relaxing inexpensive way to forget about the world.

Carp fishing is meant to be whatever the individual wants it to be. Some will happily set up in a nice spot and see what comes along. Others will go out there and make it happen. There is no right or wrong. Do what you enjoy 👍

Excellent first post btw mate.

Edited by yonny

28 minutes ago, Slepy said:

Morning anglers,

I'm fairly new to the sport and have been fishing for carp sine 2018. 

One thing I have noticed is the pressure in the angling community applied by the big brands and manufacturers and sponsored anglers. The truth is other then your rods and reels and having your rig amongst hungry carp the rest is irrelevant. I been using cheap lines, home made rigs, variety of bait that some anglers wouldn't think to use and the results were the same as for those having to remortgage their house for a days fishing 😅.  From personal experience and I'm no branded scientist who can speak carp if the fish are hungry they will eat. How often do you open your fridge and don't find what you like and you eat what's there anyway because you are hungry. Obviously the introduction of certain baits does make carp fussy but I found using what never works on a venue for most anglers keeps catching me fish. I fished for carp in the States I had no idea about boilies pellets etc and all we used was a tin of corn and I caught more then I do sometimes on the boilies pellets etc. It's all very well watching monster carp and seeing 70lbs being pulled in like there is no tomorrow, but what they don't show is all the sonars and fish finders they use prior to the amazing footage on TV. Carp fishing  is meant to be a hobby, relaxing inexpensive way to forget about the world. Instead it's a expensive competition between anglers. 

Don't get me wrong it's all personal perception and each individual will feel different about it. In my personal opinion it all comes down to luck. You can have the most attractive bait, best rig in the world etc and you can blank or catch the same way I use whatever I can get my hands on (always safe for the fish) and catch or blank on my basic gear. 

Just yesterday I fished next to a nash angler who was sweating like mad trying all his tactics and god knows what whilst me and my pall had 5 kg of home made bait never used on the venue before and we were hauling carp in like there was no tomorrow. 

If you ask me, yes we probably were landing on a shole of fish but then why did t the expensive bait reel them in of our spot?  

I stand by luck on the day more then the bait and rigs and glugs etc. 

Ps. Feeding carp bait in a tank in a controlled environment doesn't determine success of the bait. 

Tight lines everyone. Stay safe out there. 

you are right in what you are saying and a good homemade bait will always out fish a retail bait the problems start on British waters mainly due to the choices the carp have they get the best bait, mountains of high grade freebies then there is the lakes own food which is what most larger carp mainly feed on, they really are spolit for choice, they become selective in what they will eat even when very hungry. 

I used boilies (still do) but on a pressured water using a bait out of left field often pays dividends... the great thing about a boilie is it's convenience😎

I've said it before, too many carpers get stuck in a rut with bait and rigs... try float fishing a prawn or a shrimp, corn and meat still work,

Chick peas, Billotti beans, Butter beans... slap a bit o' goo on em... cheap and cheerful ready made baits for  a few pennies...👍

Glace cherries are a cracking bait as long as you can stop eating them yerself🤣

As for rigs... Christ the carp must've seen em all... try freelining a bait in the margins and sit well back and be quiet, you'll be amazed how much you can catch...

4 ounce leads...? why fergodssakes...?  where's the skill in that... if you get a run on a freelined bait you have to strike the hook, (not a huge overhead sweep either)  just a nice lift of the rod top to set the hook...

I use as much lead as it takes to get my bait in position, sometimes as little as a swan shot on a bit of line looped over the mainline and stopped by the hooklink connector/swivel 

Hair rigs...? what happened to hooking a large prawn on a big size 2 or 4....

I may not fish the way the media stars proscribe... I'm strictly old school... but I catch more than a few.... and as many as a lot🤣

try summat different fer a change... gowaaaan... I dare ya's

Tight lines

🍺😎

Edited by bluelabel

Like your style 😎.  It pays to try and experiment and yes stealth margin fishing 🎣gives me a right kick when you worked your arss of squatting with cramp in both legs busting for a [censored] and a dry mouth only to find a fellow angler casting from.the other side of the bank foot away from your free line spooking your fish. When you do get one it's a different buzz to a fish choking on 5kg of bait with your rig amongst it. I fish mainly speci lakes and low stock venues and that's where I try and experiment with my bait. Rig is always the same, home made simple hair rig without the approval of the master carpers out there. Works every time. 

Like the sound of the glazed cherries not tried that yet. 

Welcome in 

I feel no pressure by anyone except my mrs lol

at the minute I can’t be bothered it’s too hot for me as I hate the summer most of my fishing is done in the winter when it’s harder 

but that said I haven’t been at all this year yet.

however I hope to get the sea rods out this weekend

I rarely fish at distance Yonny... 60-70 yds max and a 2.5 oz lead does that job...👍

Y'see fishing mainly cane rods (2.75lb max) with the occasional dabble with carbon rods(2.75lb Dwarfs) long  chucking's not really advisable...😛🤣

Besides... the biggest water I fish is 5 acres... no need for a long chuck anywhere...😎

Especially as fishing margins is so productive..😛

Hahaha I can't cast accurately to save my life. I can  ask for miles but not where I wanted it to go. Knocki g out sparkle another angler on opposite bank counts as accurate? 😀 poor fella didn't know what hit him. Bait boat is a bit of a cheat in my opinion but it takes the rig places I can't cast too. 

4 hours ago, yonny said:

Agreed mate - convenience and versatility.

How else are you going to fish at distance? And don't you dare say bait boat 😂😂😂

As an angler who uses cane rods and centerpin reels do you honestly think I would stoop to such a travesty as a bait boat...?😛

You'll be accusing me of being a drone pilot next...🤣🤣🤣

You misunderstand... I've used carbon since it first became available... I've since revisited cane, found it agreeable and suits my style of fishing... fear not, I still have some black stuff

Chiefly a pair of 9' Nash Dwarfs in 2.75lbs and a pair of 4000 Shimano baitrunners and a set of 3 Delkims... I am not averse to modern life😛

I learned a valuable lesson, inasmuch as it matters not how you get a rig in place or with  which rod and reel... its the last 3 feet of your endgame that catches fish...

Precisely that, I have never fished with cane rods but I wouldn't mind trying. I'm still a toddler in the carp fishing game. Saying that I found my favourite set and it does the trick wherever I go. 

I recently caught a 44lb cat on my local venue, pure accident didn't fish for the ugly creature but it happened. The bailif once he saw it was a cat he said I need to cut the line as my rod won't be able to handle the fish. Let's just say he walked away and I held the cat over my cradle for a few pics. Not sure about cane rods but the black stuff is cable of hauling in a whale without snapping. 

These rods are not cheap and in all honesty you could do the same with an 8 or 9 foot carbon rod of 2.5lbs/2.75lbs or so... Rod poundage isn't set in stone for big fish... Walkers 44lber was caught on a rod of 1.5lbs test curve... Yates's 51lber came on an Avon  of about 1.25lbs... cane is expensive for named rods... I'd stick with the black stuff if I were you...😛🤣

Like my cat, bloke thinks you need a crane to get that cat out. I have shimano tx2 11ft 2.75 and it works a treat. Cought 50lbs on it played them felt the fish every time and it just keeps on going. Absolutely love them. If I had to chose between them.and my Mrs you can have her I throw in a gag 🤪for free. 

I been told.so.many times I need bigger test curve for the specimen I fish for but I don't think I do. I'm not making a fashion statement on the bank I'm catching fish. Those rods look mint cane ones I mean. 👌

My reality of fishing has changed quite a lot lately, I fish for me, I like the peace and quiet, I'm not an antisocial angler and will talk to anyone that walks past but if I don't see anyone or can't see anyone around me and it's me vs the fish that's when I love it the most, I like making plans, getting the weed rake out clearing spots, walking around prebaiting, looking for signs, some of the most amazing fishing for me this year was just watching fish feeding on a spot I made, I only got to fish it once before it was overgrown again(10lb mirror and a tench) but I baited it for a few weeks and would regularly see big carp feeding on my spot and I saw the first one I had caught from the lake when I rejoined, it was just as good as fishing for me which is handy because I've only managed a few trips this year,and I am still smarting from the 2 lost fish from last time,, 😭

I'm hoping for a big autumn campaign. It seems my time of the year, so that's what I am already planning for, I know I won't be top rod there a lots of younger keener anglers, who have time and youth on their side and the drive, but if I can do enough to make me happy then that's all I need, actually I am pretty certain I've lost 2 30lb carp from this lake now, i am also pretty certain I deserve some redemption, but none of it will be luck, but effort and hopefully that will bring reward 👍

That is great effort mate and something I truly admire. I don't particularly go hunting for the fish, so far I been picking a spot where fish were showing and I introduce bait. Scater it rou d and in the spot creating almost like a scenario where they have to move around whilst feeding and with any luck they will stumble upon the mighty rig. I love watching anglers climbing trees and spending more time walking  around then by their rods and then it comes a screaming run and the hard work pays off. I'm the opposite, I truly believe if it's 50 percent luck and 50 percent work. Having caught fish on a single hook bait with no baiting up and no signs of fish on the spot its anyone's game. Watching monster carp last night and their last trip in France fishing in cold water at 11 ft not a bite and as soon as the water warms up they move to a spot with 6ft depth and fish are coming out that's not what I do. Probably why I don't catch in winter an awful lot. Saying that I have pulled lakes biggest catch by just using my method, rightly or wrongly it works. Its amazing how different anglers use different approaches and in a way train the fish to react to it time and time again. However we all fish is irrelevant to the end result. Seeing the bobin go up and rod tip bend is an amazing feeling when you spent hours doing your absolute most the get them there. For me it's about the tranquility and peace when I'm at the lake. Blank or.not it's always a good day.

It's not luck, it's about having the right rig/bait/ trap in the right place at the right time, if you catch one it's because you have done all those things right, yes there may be elements of good fortune, you may have just walked round the corner at the right time to see one lump out or show you a sign, but you still have to tempt it to take your hookbait, some people just sit for days in the same swim and hope they come along, I never have the luxury of time so I prepare before a session and sometimes it pays off but it's never wasted time I don't think, learning what you have done wrong is as if not more important than learning what you did right 👍