attaching lead and spomb to braid

RJT74

Hi 

apart from the big loop to switch out leads and spombs is there any way of attaching then to braid ? i only ask as im forever having to cut the braid to get a lead or spomb off even when tying a little knot further down the main loop. Its always gets more tangled and difficult, is there a type of swivel or clip etc that can do it? cheers 

https://www.carpfeed.com/fishing-advice/how-to/carp-hack-the-two-loop-trick

I use this method (shamefully copied from Tom!) I normally leave a large American swivel on the braid as I can change from a lead to a spod or spomb of different sizes as required. If you want to use a marker float, a decent sized loop allows you to slip it on. I've had the same knot on for several years now. That little tag end is a huge edge and time saver.

1 hour ago, RJT74 said:

yep thats what i do..  however i do its a knotty mess when trying to undo it. I thought about maybe using a big sea fishing snap swivel. 

Not sure how you can get in a mess tbh - you just pull the little tag end created then feed the lead back through the loop - couldn't be simpler, what are doing to get a tangle lol

Think I have changed my habits over time. 

Due to the depth of the lake I'm on, I have hardly been using both spod and marker rod. In many cases I have been putting bait in by hand in chest waders. 

However, not all swims are shallow enough so I take a Spod/Marker rod combined, and yes it has braid on it😏😂😉

I have the run ring set up on the leader with a lead link and an American snap swivel on the end of the lead link. At the end of the leader I use a swivel with a Breakaway Spinlink clip and tail rubber over it. I attach the spod or Spomb to the Spinlink and clip the snap swivel on the lead link to it as well. 

That way I can use 1 rod for both marker/leading or baiting up. 

From your responses, it would appear that you are untying the loops, Y?

I use your described method and have never had any trouble. I do use 50lb leader, but I guess thinner braid would slip. 

Have you tried doubling (figure of 8) the smaller loop? It shouldn't slip then.

I have that smaller loop at about 30-40mm as a tag.

On 19/07/2021 at 20:24, RJT74 said:

Hi 

apart from the big loop to switch out leads and spombs is there any way of attaching then to braid ? i only ask as im forever having to cut the braid to get a lead or spomb off even when tying a little knot further down the main loop. Its always gets more tangled and difficult, is there a type of swivel or clip etc that can do it? cheers 

You can use something like this 

https://esp-carpgear.com/products/terminal-tackle/mini-clips/

or as said a snap link swivel 

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/tronixpro-safety-snap-swivels?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Om2g8Hz8QIV14jVCh1lGQghEAQYASABEgIBkPD_BwE

11 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Think I have changed my habits over time. 

Due to the depth of the lake I'm on, I have hardly been using both spod and marker rod. In many cases I have been putting bait in by hand in chest waders. 

However, not all swims are shallow enough so I take a Spod/Marker rod combined, and yes it has braid on it😏😂😉

I have the run ring set up on the leader with a lead link and an American snap swivel on the end of the lead link. At the end of the leader I use a swivel with a Breakaway Spinlink clip and tail rubber over it. I attach the spod or Spomb to the Spinlink and clip the snap swivel on the lead link to it as well. 

That way I can use 1 rod for both marker/leading or baiting up. 

that sounds good. I Will give it a go. Thanks 

8 hours ago, commonly said:

From your responses, it would appear that you are untying the loops, Y?

I use your described method and have never had any trouble. I do use 50lb leader, but I guess thinner braid would slip. 

Have you tried doubling (figure of 8) the smaller loop? It shouldn't slip then.

I have that smaller loop at about 30-40mm as a tag.

Ive followed the insrtuctions but it just ends up in a big mess so i cut it. Im going to try with a swivel or mini clip as suggest. thanks for response,. 

33 minutes ago, framey said:

thanks Mate, will give these a go as well. really appreciate you responding.  ive been doing a lot of unnecessary swearing on the bank !

3 hours ago, framey said:

That's the sort I use, the bigger the better. The first one is far too small. When I first started using the knot, I did have a couple of disasters and ended up cutting the braid and starting again. The trick is to slip the knot on and watch it and make sure you reverse the procedure when you go to undo it. On the second occasion I put the clip on and off about 20 times in a row and my brain "remembered" it. Probably OCD but I can always do it first time now without any problems.

The clip stays on virtually all the time so just slip on a lead or spod at will, only taking it off for using a depth float.

11 minutes ago, Golden Paws said:

That's the sort I use, the bigger the better. The first one is far too small. When I first started using the knot, I did have a couple of disasters and ended up cutting the braid and starting again. The trick is to slip the knot on and watch it and make sure you reverse the procedure when you go to undo it. On the second occasion I put the clip on and off about 20 times in a row and my brain "remembered" it. Probably OCD but I can always do it first time now without any problems.

The clip stays on virtually all the time so just slip on a lead or spod at will, only taking it off for using a depth float.

thanks for the tip, sometimes it works and it comes off unknotted, sometimes it doesn't! im glad its not just me it happens to!