New reel ideas

I've started thinking about new reels and since my accidental aerlex purchase, I've started looking to the darkside a bit 😳I've started to quite like the look of these, but is it pervy to like the blue spool Sea version? Diawa seems to be in short supply at the moment and as a consequence no deals seem to be available on some of the ones I like, I spose I want a nice reel that will last, look pretty for no more than £100 - 150 a reel 👍

shimano-speedmaster-14000-reels.thumb.jpg.5b130db06e1beeae06ed292fc7f5865c.jpg

Edited by elmoputney

Well the EOS 12000 from your favourite makers of fine quality Exocet braid 😁 are a brilliant reel, I’ve got a set and they are the best reels I’ve ever used. Otherwise I doubt there will be much in the way of differences with the sea model you’ve posted above, is the retrieve rate the same etc? They may be more resistant to salt corrosion and designed to cope with the harsher conditions of beach casting, but so long as the drag etc is still smooth and positive, they should be ok. I used to use Shakespeare and Ryobi “beach reels” for carping as they were generally cheaper! They did the job ok. 

1 minute ago, ouchthathurt said:

Well the EOS 12000 from your favourite makers of fine quality Exocet braid 😁 are a brilliant reel, I’ve got a set and they are the best reels I’ve ever used. Otherwise I doubt there will be much in the way of differences with the sea model you’ve posted above, is the retrieve rate the same etc? They may be more resistant to salt corrosion and designed to cope with the harsher conditions of beach casting, but so long as the drag etc is still smooth and positive, they should be ok. I used to use Shakespeare and Ryobi “beach reels” for carping as they were generally cheaper! They did the job ok. 

Lol thanks but no fox for me 😂

I think they are more or less the same tbh just the colours and probably sealed bearings like you say 👍

I also really like these sea reels 😳

Daiwa_19_Emblem_Surf_45_SCW_QD_1.thumb.jpg.dbeab42573dde36c3390155958f91266.jpg

4 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I've started thinking about new reels and since my accidental aerlex purchase, I've started looking to the darkside a bit 😳I've started to quite like the look of these, but is it pervy to like the blue spool Sea version? Diawa seems to be in short supply at the moment and as a consequence no deals seem to be available on some of the ones I like, I spose I want a nice reel that will last, look pretty for no more than £100 - 150 a reel 👍

shimano-speedmaster-14000-reels.thumb.jpg.5b130db06e1beeae06ed292fc7f5865c.jpg

New cult starting if you get them in blue😉😊

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Lol thanks but no fox for me 😂

I think they are more or less the same tbh just the colours and probably sealed bearings like you say 👍

I also really like these sea reels 😳

Daiwa_19_Emblem_Surf_45_SCW_QD_1.thumb.jpg.dbeab42573dde36c3390155958f91266.jpg

Now go wash your mouth out  Fox is carp angling lol strange how we have our preferred brands,  i'm not a fan of RM I couldn't post the re branding i have for them here, it is harsh. No doubt they will have reels out soon.  

1 hour ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Now go wash your mouth out  Fox is carp angling lol strange how we have our preferred brands,  i'm not a fan of RM I couldn't post the re branding i have for them here, it is harsh. No doubt they will have reels out soon.  

Everything I own that is ridgemonkey is a good product to be fair to them, but I have to think about it usually as the price is high, I've got some fox stuff that is OK, some I really like (tadpole lead inserts) but I don't think the quality is as good as when I bought the old mini microns years ago, and exocet spod braid isn't fit for purpose(did I mention that😂) 😔

I don't tend to buy Nash stuff either due to the titan that was weak and fell apart although I would buy a bushwhacker maybe, 

Basically I try to buy the best thing that suits the budget, reel wise I didn't get on with sonik, I do like diawa as they re always reliable, the shimano aerlex spod has slightly turned me to the darkside though it is a nice reel to use 😂

28 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I've got some fox stuff that is OK, some I really like (tadpole lead inserts) but I don't think the quality is as good as when I bought the old mini microns years ago

We all have our own preferences mate, I love my fox torque rods and EOS 12000 reels, I can’t fault them, yesterday I managed to accidentally stick a 3oz on the far bank at 115yrds - I was looking at putting it at 90yrds but overcooked it somewhat!! Yet I’m not a fan of the fox alarms... except the micron minis, it’s purely a looks thing, I don’t like their shape!! As for the Exocet braid... I really couldn’t comment... I’ve never used it! I tend to buy braid that’s not “carpified” as it’s cheaper! I’ve got some nondescript black braid in 40lb on both spod and marker rod and it is pretty bulletproof, even if the black dye comes out all over my fingers when it’s wet 🙄RM gear I’ve not used, so no comment. Nash stuff, I’ve got one of their pods which is pretty good, their fang hooks are decent, Korda - I love their leadcore, especially the gravel one... I’m not so much a slave to a particular brand, I just buy what I need from whatever stable offers it, then I continue with whatever brand offers the best version of that product that suits my need best. I guess we are all like that really. 

3 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

We all have our own preferences mate, I love my fox torque rods and EOS 12000 reels, I can’t fault them, yesterday I managed to accidentally stick a 3oz on the far bank at 115yrds - I was looking at putting it at 90yrds but overcooked it somewhat!! Yet I’m not a fan of the fox alarms... except the micron minis, it’s purely a looks thing, I don’t like their shape!! As for the Exocet braid... I really couldn’t comment... I’ve never used it! I tend to buy braid that’s not “carpified” as it’s cheaper! I’ve got some nondescript black braid in 40lb on both spod and marker rod and it is pretty bulletproof, even if the black dye comes out all over my fingers when it’s wet 🙄RM gear I’ve not used, so no comment. Nash stuff, I’ve got one of their pods which is pretty good, their fang hooks are decent, Korda - I love their leadcore, especially the gravel one... I’m not so much a slave to a particular brand, I just buy what I need from whatever stable offers it, then I continue with whatever brand offers the best version of that product that suits my need best. I guess we are all like that really. 

Same as 

I  go for what does the job I want it to at the time

Edited by framey

5 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I sort of gave up looking at 2nd hand diawa reels because they always seemed the same price as nearly new 😳

The prices are ridic at the mo aint they?!!

I've just taken my SS3's off the rods in favour of something more suited to distance and I'm almost considering selling them. I have like 8 or 9 spare spools and all together they're worth ~2k which is ridiculous. The tournies are essentially the same thing so 400 notes is a proper bargain. The chap selling them is in your neck of the woods too mate.

20 minutes ago, yonny said:

I've just taken my SS3's off the rods in favour of something more suited to distance and I'm almost considering selling them. I have like 8 or 9 spare spools and all together they're worth ~2k which is ridiculous. The tournies are essentially the same thing so 400 notes is a proper bargain. The chap selling them is in your neck of the woods too mate.

It would be a nice time to have some luxury items to sell, if you don't need em anymore wouldn't be a bad time to sell, I did sell quite a few bits for the father In law last year, £275 for a youngs purist 2 centrepin reel,(was nice I wanted it really)  a pair or of 2 rod vintage solar buzz bars got nearly 50 quid, madness, 

I will see how the bonus situation goes this month and see what else I can sell,😂

I really miss overtime now, the good old days where I could do a Sunday or 2 for the extra bits I need, like fishing reels and so on 😂

10 hours ago, yonny said:

I’ll give you 500 for them then lol

On a serious note, shop around and have a look at Shimano Beastmasters. 

I love mine although they are 5 or 6 years old now. 

A baitrunner spool doesn't take much to get used to, I found it pretty easy. 

I honestly think that they are a better buy than the latest £100 plus Shimmy's. 

As I say shop around, but here is AD link

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/shimano-beastmaster-xb-reel