Should I or shouldn’t i

Choprider

I am in the middle of rebuilding my MK IV cane rod and had really decided in my head to just whip the rings etc on and not whip any intermediates...  then my wife was in my workshop whilst I was whipping rings on and I put a couple of intermediates in just to show her what it would look like.... that’s much better she said 😂😂 I must admit I don’t enjoy whipping intermediates ( does anyone ) but now she has me thinking.. do I or don’t I...624C8D41-7B33-491A-BE2D-716B078664B3.thumb.jpeg.a9012061269d515d1bb0d79862fc7928.jpeg1DB92DDF-6E67-459B-B509-6A86E8C2549E.thumb.jpeg.d33e48bb87809dc0690e6b3238ba4012.jpeg

1 minute ago, salokcinnodrog said:

On a MkIV Avon most definitely 😉

My MK IV avon has the intermediates whipped, this is my MKIV carp.. it was done originally, thinking about it now i suppose i should re whip the intermediates.. not sure but do the intermediates add strength to the built cane ( i have had it 25/30 years be a shame to snap it now )

2 hours ago, Choprider said:

I am in the middle of rebuilding my MK IV cane rod and had really decided in my head to just whip the rings etc on and not whip any intermediates...  then my wife was in my workshop whilst I was whipping rings on and I put a couple of intermediates in just to show her what it would look like.... that’s much better she said 😂😂 I must admit I don’t enjoy whipping intermediates ( does anyone ) but now she has me thinking.. do I or don’t I...624C8D41-7B33-491A-BE2D-716B078664B3.thumb.jpeg.a9012061269d515d1bb0d79862fc7928.jpeg1DB92DDF-6E67-459B-B509-6A86E8C2549E.thumb.jpeg.d33e48bb87809dc0690e6b3238ba4012.jpeg

Listen to your Wife , and buy her some flowers for being such a sensible lady .

😄

1 hour ago, Choprider said:

My MK IV avon has the intermediates whipped, this is my MKIV carp.. it was done originally, thinking about it now i suppose i should re whip the intermediates.. not sure but do the intermediates add strength to the built cane ( i have had it 25/30 years be a shame to snap it now )

Not sure if they add strength, but they do add weight and stiffen the action. 

Not that I would ever think you would, but a properly finished cane rod sells for loadsamoney... 

That means getting the same number of 'whips' on every ring past the foot

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Not sure if they add strength, but they do add weight and stiffen the action. 

Not that I would ever think you would, but a properly finished cane rod sells for loadsamoney... 

That means getting the same number of 'whips' on every ring past the foot

If i decide to whip the intermediates ( which i probably will ) luckily I can still see where the original intermediate whips were so i should be able to get them back about right.. I don't think I would ever sell any of my vintage stuff, I have 5 built cane rods in all and they all get well used.. hence this one being refurbished.

5 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Could be a new trend I think maybe a real blingy reel seat would look amazing 👍 a real juxtaposition of vintage and futuristic, 

Sorry I couldn't do anything that looks Blingy 🤣 if you saw the motorcycle that I built during last lockdown you would know why (old school chop)

9 hours ago, Choprider said:

Most definitely 100%do

2 hours ago, bluelabel said:

They are a pain in the bum to do but the rod certainly looks better for them....

20210211_113617.jpg

20210211_113642.jpg

My old MkIV is a kit rod, mullered and soft with a bit of delamination near the butt... retired now sadly...

Lovely rods, I have certainly had some fun landing carp on mine.. I have several others and they all get used when needed..  they are never going to be as good as my modern stuff.. but good fun when you do use them..

1 hour ago, framey said:

I’m actually disappointed you are winding the thread through that old jack hilton carp book lol

in keeping I suppose though haha

Quest for carp is a good read, and I have read it many times over the past 40 years... it’s been sitting on the bench in my workshop for the last few years and I still pick it up now and then and read a chapter or two..

Just now, Choprider said:

Quest for carp is a good read, and I have read it many times over the past 40 years... it’s been sitting on the bench in my workshop for the last few years and I still pick it up now and then and read a chapter or two..

Try "The Secret Carp" and "Casting At The Sun" by Chris Yates... utterly superb books...

9 minutes ago, Choprider said:

Lovely rods, I have certainly had some fun landing carp on mine.. I have several others and they all get used when needed..  they are never going to be as good as my modern stuff.. but good fun when you do use them..

I have retired the MkIV now... for most of my carping I use Sharpe's 9', I have 3 of them now, they were Salmon Spinning rods so quite powerful, but have had them converted to carp spec (extra rings and had the winch fitting removed)

4 hours ago, bluelabel said:

This is how they look now...

20181105_094150-1.jpg

I mean really... where are the silver coil indicators sliding up a knitting needle?? Or at least a monkey climber? 

may as well just stick some shimano bait runners on and be done with it... 😜

I wish I still had my optonics, they got swiped! 

9 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

I mean really... where are the silver coil indicators sliding up a knitting needle?? Or at least a monkey climber? 

may as well just stick some shimano bait runners on and be done with it... 😜

I wish I still had my optonics, they got swiped! 

Bit of a noddy really 

could have got the reels a lot closer together really lol