Bait Allergy...

bluelabel

Hi folks.... got a question for yis.... I am highly allergic to Bloodworm and I feel I'm missing out on it as a bait, whether as an additive, or boilies...

especially as there are large bloodworm beds on my club waters

If I used it as an additive or boilies and used an alcohol based hand cleanser after handling, would it nullify the histamines on my hands...???

If I touch my face after handling the stuff there is massive swelling and irritation.. (I daren't go fer a pee) with all the use of hand cleansers I wondered if this might stop any irritation....? 

8 hours ago, bluelabel said:

Hi folks.... got a question for yis.... I am highly allergic to Bloodworm and I feel I'm missing out on it as a bait, whether as an additive, or boilies...

especially as there are large bloodworm beds on my club waters

If I used it as an additive or boilies and used an alcohol based hand cleanser after handling, would it nullify the histamines on my hands...???

If I touch my face after handling the stuff there is massive swelling and irritation.. (I daren't go fer a pee) with all the use of hand cleansers I wondered if this might stop any irritation....? 

Would latex gloves help? I occasionally use them if the spox mix is particularly nasty 😁

I've never used bloodworm in there raw state though only some bloodworm pellets so can't help you, but maybe the easiest thing to do is not use them, I wouldn't know if they are worth the risk of an allergic reaction.? 

Maggots might be a safer alternative though if they don't affect you on the same way 

10 hours ago, Big Bass said:

I had a chat to a angler on a walk around a lake and noticed he was wearing latex gloves asked him why and he said he’s got an allergy to nuts and was using tiger nut boilies and he had no problems 

Ask your doctor about non allergy latex gloves an use those my friend has no problems he has a nut allergy 

In all honesty I don’t think you’re missing out. Plenty of bloodworm additives and baits out there and they aren’t the most popular or effective. Says a lot as you’d think they should be all anyone used if they were that good.
Live bloodworm I think you’d fair better than any sort of product of bloodworm. Even then it’s not the same still. 

if you’re keen to try it though, gloves as above and you’ll be alright just be careful taking them off. 

On 14/12/2020 at 09:12, greekskii said:

In all honesty I don’t think you’re missing out. Plenty of bloodworm additives and baits out there and they aren’t the most popular or effective. Says a lot as you’d think they should be all anyone used if they were that good.
Live bloodworm I think you’d fair better than any sort of product of bloodworm. Even then it’s not the same still. 

if you’re keen to try it though, gloves as above and you’ll be alright just be careful taking them off. 

It was using live bloodworm and joker in matches that the problem first surfaced... I was bare handed and after handling it I scratched the back of my head and within minutes I had a swelling the size of an orange , basically just a mushy fluidy mass... (I used latex gloves subsequently actually nitrile) and took anti histamines and even though I was trying to be careful, accidents still happened, resulting in the day being cut short whilst I went home to wash the affected bit with warm soapy water and germolene... thinking on, I may be better of staying away from the stuff altogether... It just occurred to me after watching a CC Moore vid about treating baits with dead bloodworm and juice that I thought about trying it again with the sanitizing fluid as a barrier... cheers for the replies chaps 

57 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

It was using live bloodworm and joker in matches that the problem first surfaced... I was bare handed and after handling it I scratched the back of my head and within minutes I had a swelling the size of an orange , basically just a mushy fluidy mass... (I used latex gloves subsequently actually nitrile) and took anti histamines and even though I was trying to be careful, accidents still happened, resulting in the day being cut short whilst I went home to wash the affected bit with warm soapy water and germolene... thinking on, I may be better of staying away from the stuff altogether... It just occurred to me after watching a CC Moore vid about treating baits with dead bloodworm and juice that I thought about trying it again with the sanitizing fluid as a barrier... cheers for the replies chaps 

Probably best to avoid it, wouldn't be much fun having an allergic reaction like that tbh,