Rig ejection

salokcinnodrog

1 hour ago, yonny said:

@carpepecheur, it's sir axeman with the problem, not Carpmaster 👍

Ooops sorry peeps i got confused. Not an uncommon occurrence chez nous.  I think you asked him a question Yonny and someone else answered or perhaps I have lost the thread of this altogether.

Edited by carpepecheur

47 minutes ago, carpepecheur said:

It is possible that when the lead hits the water, the momentum in the lead pushes through the lighter contents of the bag and sits on top of your rig. When you retrieve the lead, it pulls clear and everything looks normal. Of course if your fish spy tells you your multi tangle rig 😀 is normal then you have a different problem. Does it not give you any other clues what might be happening like fish shying away or picking up and dropping?

I didnt say it was a multi tangle rig someone else did,  I use a largish pva bag with a smallish amount of ground bait with the lead in the centre of the bag hook in the side this allows me to use the extra pva bag to reinforce the bag by folding and sticking  the bags are dropping 6ft clean as a whistle I cant coment on deeper water   I've not had problems with tangles

5 hours ago, yonny said:

lol

Imo there is absolutely nothing wrong with that mate. I don't believe an old school hair will fix any problem you associate with the rig.

When you say safety bead do you mean a lead clip? Or some other type?

Assume you're using it with a bottom bait or wafter?

What is the substrate on the spots you're fishing? Is there much weed, silt or chod about?

Yeah I meant leadclip my bad. Bottom baits - mostly with a piece of fake corn to tip it off. Occasionally I'll do it with a small pop up n putty or a snowman. Very standard carp rig nothing fancy. 

The bottom of this lake is relatively clean sand....its a lake that was dug for sand fi r the m6 motorway - Dovemere (cheshire) on the Prince Albert card.. a water that once upon a time was a runs water but not anymore....plenty people do 48hr blanks on there these days or if they catch it's 1 or 2. Occasionally someone will have a bag up session when they're really having it and they're on em.  Me...just returned from 2 nights for 2 fish...nothing till 11pm last night n 11.10am this morning. Yet there was quite a lot of shows in my swim mostly from cruising fish on top but a few rolls, boils n swirls and a few "boshes" yet only a measly 2 runs...methinks I'd have been done a number of times n never knew it....welcome to modern day carp fishing on pressured waters. 

15 hours ago, sir axeman said:

plenty people do 48hr blanks on there these days

OK......

15 hours ago, sir axeman said:

Me...just returned from 2 nights for 2 fish.

So this is a result, no?

Your problem is not related to rigs imo mate. You are catching fish where others are not so you're doing something right.

I would be looking at baiting tactics if I were you. The fish are there and you are catching them, you just need to work the swim i.e. feed the spots tactically. Keep the bait going in (in moderation) in an attempt to extend the feeding spells. The longer they feed for, the more bites you'll get.

I don't see my result as "a result" I'm just me average really....and as once upon a time this was a runs water and now it's not (for everybody) tells me we're all in the same boat - often struggling. This lakes well stocked if these were all stockies that have never seen a line before I think everyone would be hauling 'em out. So I and others are experiencing the results if angling pressure. But all that said in such instances your suggestion of the baiting situation is still a good answer....get the fish feeding hard and competing with each other to scoff the next  boilie. 

If only we could spod (banned) pellets n corn out there that'd help to achieve a feeding frenzy situation. I used to read Tim Paisley's writings on this tactic on pressured waters and think it us one of the answers. Yes we're still going to continue to get done but the more pickups you get the more chance of one hanging itself n running. 

If you think you should be having bigger hits try solid pva bags, I found these can get you much quicker bites, I've had takes while I am still settling the line down, and quite often within minutes of casting them, 

I had a 10 fish hit in 24 hours earlier this year it was exhausting, I was spodding constantly to keep them in the area, I agree with Yonny it's probably more down to baiting than rigs, I would create one big spot and fish at least 2 rods on it rather than spreading them over the whole swim, or 3 in a line, get them competing they will slip up more 

2 minutes ago, sir axeman said:

I don't see my result as "a result" I'm just me average really....

Greed is good when it comes to angling mate 👍

3 minutes ago, sir axeman said:

get the fish feeding hard and competing

Exactly this.

5 minutes ago, sir axeman said:

If only we could spod (banned) pellets n corn out there that'd help to achieve a feeding frenzy situation.

Which bit is banned? The pellet? Or the spodding?

There are loads of baits out there that can help to achieve the situation you're after, and there are normally ways around certain bait/tactical bans.

4 minutes ago, yonny said:

Greed is good when it comes to angling mate 👍

Exactly this.

Which bit is banned? The pellet? Or the spodding?

There are loads of baits out there that can help to achieve the situation you're after, and there are normally ways around certain bait/tactical bans.

The spod is banned, I just edited my post to clarify - we can use corn and pellets, hemp maggots and casters and groundbait but not much else besides those and boilies. I think balling some groundbait out is something I've not done in a long time that will have some positive effect as a lot of smell/attraction in the water will draw 'em in n get them searching for food. I think if we could spod on there it'd be deadly - but we can't. A rule says we can spod boilies only from October onwards. But who needs to spod boilies? Some pegs are not bad close in but a lot its more midrange distances - too far to catty small particle type baits. 

Edited by sir axeman

3 minutes ago, sir axeman said:

The spod is banned, I just edited my post to clarify - we can use corn and pellets, hemp maggots and casters and groundbait but not much else besides those and boilies. I think balling some groundbait out is something I've not done in a long time that will have some positive effect as a lot of smell/attraction in the water will draw 'em in n get them searching for food. I think if we could spod on there it'd be deadly - but we can't. A rule says we can spod boilies only from October onwards. But who needs to spod boilies? Some pegs are not bad close in but a lot its more midrange distances - too far to catty small particle type baits. 

Try using a method feeder or a throwing stick lol

4 minutes ago, sir axeman said:

Throwing stick for boilies? 

Just now, framey said:

Try using a method feeder or a throwing stick lol

Yes indeedy - tis what I've been thinking of. My coarse fishing bandmate is always raving about "the method" as he tends to fish a lot of commercials catching smaller pasties but in numbers. Must admit when I saw the prices of method mix and even breadcrumb groundbaits they're a lot more expensive than umpteen years ago when I last used 'em. I used to make my own baits - from scratch so i'll have to buy in some fishmeals n stuff and knock up my own as I aint paying those rip off prices. :o

2 minutes ago, sir axeman said:

The spod is banned

An absolutely ridiculous rule imo. Per the posts above there's loads of options for baiting but if it were me I'd be onto the committee to discuss the rule.

If it's the same Dovemere I just found online it's well over 100 yards to the middle. The carp will learn that they're relatively safe out there (in fact it sounds like they already have?). I think your best bet in the short term is piling the boilie in with the stick at range.

24 minutes ago, Carpmaster said:

The rig and lead I showed yesterday are in that pva bag as you can see I've tryed to use the extra pva to protect where the lead is to stop punch through

20200703_091218.jpg

20200703_091233.jpg

Use a smaller bag if the lead is coming out on casting, looks like the bag is too heavy for the distance you want to cast it, 

Either that or a shock leader to take the sting out of the cast 

Edited by elmoputney

If spodding is not allowed and you want to achieve mass baiting then the groundbait sling/pouch is the way to go. Attach to your spod rod and away you go. It takes a bit of practice but you can hit 100yds with ease with the right technique and consistency of the groundbait ball. You can prepare the balls at home before a session so they harden slightly then at the lake its bombs away. Better with 2 of you, one on the rod and one loading the ball behind. Just don't make the balls to big or they sometimes stick in the pouch Haha 

Edited by emmcee

5 minutes ago, sir axeman said:

no, and they're not for me so i'd not have one even if they were allowed. 

Neither would I in normal situations but if spods are banned I would consider it, if it was an option 👍

9 minutes ago, emmcee said:

If spodding is not allowed and you want to achieve mass baiting then the groundbait sling/pouch is the way to go. Attach to your spod rod and away you go. It takes a bit of practice but you can hit 100yds with ease with the right technique and consistency of the groundbait ball. You can prepare the balls at home before a session so they harden slightly then at the lake its bombs away. Better with 2 of you, one on the rod and one loading the ball behind. Just don't make the balls to big or they sometimes stick in the pouch Haha 

The nash deliverance ball maker looks quite a useful tool for this in theory, as you could make nice consistent sized balls which would help with the accuracy,