Pop ups for the Ronnie rig

jh92

What pop ups are good to use with the Ronnie rig?

ive never used one before but want to give it a go.

ive got a size 6 Nash fang x hook, with a Korda spinner ring swivel size 11, with a metal bait screw which is on a ring. Piece of shrink tube over the swivel and eye of the hook and a hook head to stop the bait screw going too far forward.

I’ve just tested it in a bowl with a 16mm sticky krill pop up and it doesn’t seem very buoyant.  It doesn’t sit in the same position when you drop it in.

I’m not sure if I’m using something too heavy terminal tackle wise or if it’s the pop up.

Here’s a picture of my rig, it’s sat okay in the picture but doesn’t always sit like it, sometime the hook will lay pretty much on the deck.

BDBB2F03-F6A7-4135-AFE4-E49B34F9A6C1.thumb.jpeg.02ee08ba687abf883fe91d3c9a748d82.jpeg

I’m wondering if I should try a different brand of pop up or a micro ring swivel instead of a bait screw?

any advice on this would be great thanks 👍👍

13 minutes ago, yonny said:

It's the pop up mate.

I prefer cork ball pop ups.

For standard pop ups it has to be Proper Job Pop Ups. They are as buoyant as you'll get.

Cheers mate, where do you get your cork ball pop ups from?

I’m on the proper job pop ups website now, looking at the squid and octopus ones. Would you use the mega buoyant or standard ones? 🤔

1 minute ago, jh92 said:

Cheers mate, where do you get your cork ball pop ups from?

I use the Trent Baits cork ball pop ups. UB Baits are also decent.

2 minutes ago, jh92 said:

Would you use the mega buoyant or standard ones?

Just the standard proper jobs are more than buoyant enough mate.

5 minutes ago, yonny said:

I use the Trent Baits cork ball pop ups. UB Baits are also decent.

Just the standard proper jobs are more than buoyant enough mate.

I’ll take a look at Trent baits and ub baits now mate. I will get some proper job pop ups ordered as well, thanks 👍👍

1 hour ago, jh92 said:

What pop ups are good to use with the Ronnie rig?

ive never used one before but want to give it a go.

ive got a size 6 Nash fang x hook, with a Korda spinner ring swivel size 11, with a metal bait screw which is on a ring. Piece of shrink tube over the swivel and eye of the hook and a hook head to stop the bait screw going too far forward.

I’ve just tested it in a bowl with a 16mm sticky krill pop up and it doesn’t seem very buoyant.  It doesn’t sit in the same position when you drop it in.

I’m not sure if I’m using something too heavy terminal tackle wise or if it’s the pop up.

Here’s a picture of my rig, it’s sat okay in the picture but doesn’t always sit like it, sometime the hook will lay pretty much on the deck.

BDBB2F03-F6A7-4135-AFE4-E49B34F9A6C1.thumb.jpeg.02ee08ba687abf883fe91d3c9a748d82.jpeg

I’m wondering if I should try a different brand of pop up or a micro ring swivel instead of a bait screw?

any advice on this would be great thanks 👍👍

You need something more buoyant than the one on there at the moment. 

My homemade 15mm pop-ups will actually take extra putty moulded around the tubing on a size 4 hook on a Ronnie rig, not that I use them very often. 

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Proper jobs are great and the standards are better than a lot of other brands I've tried, you just know it will still be up in the morning, they do some lovely flavours too, you won't look back, I just wish they did wafters too 

I’ve gone for squid and octopus in 15mm white, I’m using sticky krill bottom baits so hopefully a fishy pop up should do well 😁

3 hours ago, framey said:

Can also just get some cork sticks and use those or a foam topper will also help

until the new baits come through

What drill the bait out and stick some foam/cork in it? I wonder if you could just use a piece of on the rig instead of putting in it, like they do on a zig rig? 🤔

47 minutes ago, jh92 said:

I’ve gone for squid and octopus in 15mm white, I’m using sticky krill bottom baits so hopefully a fishy pop up should do well 😁

What drill the bait out and stick some foam/cork in it? I wonder if you could just use a piece of on the rig instead of putting in it, like they do on a zig rig? 🤔

I know a number of anglers who use a piece of yellow foam as the topper or to lift the bait up to critically balance or pop it up. 

It looks like large pieces of sweetcorn or maize

3 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I know a number of anglers who use a piece of yellow foam as the topper or to lift the bait up to critically balance or pop it up. 

It looks like large pieces of sweetcorn or maize

I will give it a try mate 

52 minutes ago, jh92 said:

I use a piece of zig foam for this, all I do is cut a piece just big enough to pop up the pop up to were I want it and screw that onto the bait screw first followed by the pop up, this works perfectly for me. 😁👍🎣