Should I be dropping my inline leads?

elmoputney

Should I be dropping inline leads or not?   

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should I be dropping inline leads or not?

• Yes
    • No

I'm of the same opinion.. that said does an inline jiggle around so as to cause damage...?? I think if you were using really heavy leads there is a danger that some mouth damage could occur.... again It's not an issue for me as I rarely use leads above 2oz and only use lightweight inlines 1 or 1.5oz for bag work

Edited by bluelabel

5 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I've read a few articles that tell me not dropping inlines can cause damage to the fishes mouth? 

I cannot see any reason an inline set up would cause more damage than any other type of set up.

Regards dropping the lead, horse for course innit. If you need to drop it due to snags, weed, whatever, then yes - drop it.

If you don't need to, then don't! No point in littering the lake bed for a laugh.

I used to fish Taverham Mills regularly with inline leads, in the days of 'learning for yourself', rather than todays hyped up 'its all in the media'😱😖😆😉

The lake is quite weedy, a mix of lily beds, and in places, silkweed. 

I rarely lost any fish due to weed build up on the lead, in fact with a zipp or distance shaped lead, most weed slid over the lead. Just don't use an inline lead with any neck😉. Even with tubing there was limited weed hang up.

I don't like dropping the lead at all, unless I have to.

The excuses of 'fish come up in the water without the lead', I'm sorry, I never found that true, they play the same, a fish fights how it wants to, deep or shallow. I think it is the fishes 'character' that decides how it fights. Some stay deep, some come up.

A particular fish I knew in Taverham every time it was caught was like a bag of spuds. You pumped it in with no scrap. I first caught it at double figures, and my mate Bruce caught it a few times up to 20lb.

Also, a fish that is being played, does not necessarily want to fight or run through the weed, dependant on type of weed, 

Would you want your eyes covered when you are running?

Lily beds fish might use to run into, or there are channels through or under the weed.

Thanks for the replies all,

I was hoping you would all say that tbh, I did also read about another rig using an inline that appealed a bit, which they called a shocker, my thought being they took the lead Insert out and treated it as a running lead, which also meant it is safer in theory, now I like to be able to use a bag rubber for ease of sticking the bag onto, would anyone have an issue with me just boring out some of the insert so the swivel wasn't fixed as such, but I could still use a pva bag tail rubber, for the shock effect I would place a tiny bit of putty on the leader as the shock effect kind of like a running bead only would come off better in the unfortunate event of a line break? 

Cheers all 

12 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Will have to have a think, I still want it to be quick change tbh but also safe might have a play with the outline fluoro leader to see if that works 😬

You'll have to ditch the tail rubber if you use a leader buddy. The tail rubber won't go over the leader knot if you crack off so you could leave the kipper trailing a lead.

Edited by yonny
typo

1 minute ago, yonny said:

You'll have to ditch the tail rubber if you use a leader buddy. The tail rubber won't go over the leader knot if you crack off so you could leave the kipper trailing a lead.

I just came to a similar conclusion tbh main concern though is the internal diameter on the lead by trimming the tail rubber I could get it to pass over the knot fairly easily, the lead went over the knot also with a lowish pulling force, however with both of these that is FOD free add any FODDAGE to the equation and I fully agree its a bit dodgy, 

Also any putty would have to be after any knots tbh the putty has been the biggest no no I've found so far made it very tricky for the lead to pass , I also added a bit of the hook point protection Vaseline stuff to the knot and that made it glide through really easily, 

This is all pre drilled BTW so should be even easier 

A coated braid is about the same diameter as a fluoro leader...! (And it depends on the BS of the fluouro leader...) I prefer tubing if its insisted upon & I'd prefer to fish a naked line where possible... it looks far less blatant, especially when fished slack... 

The knots that join leaders are  the issue with inlines to my mind... there must be a way of fishing an inline shokka system safely

3 hours ago, yonny said:

This is generally frowned upon mate, it can be very dangerous. Fine braids can cut into the flanks and/or lift scales during the fight.

Point taken so they are out, shame though as it would've worked from a diameter point of view I reckon, but going forward the dream is a quick change pva set up that is safe so there is no point continuing with that li e of enquiry

2 hours ago, bluelabel said:

A coated braid is about the same diameter as a fluoro leader...! (And it depends on the BS of the fluouro leader...) I prefer tubing if its insisted upon & I'd prefer to fish a naked line where possible... it looks far less blatant, especially when fished slack... 

The knots that join leaders are  the issue with inlines to my mind... there must be a way of fishing an inline shokka system safely

I did say uncoated, Its those knots that are causing me a few issues at present, if there is a way to fish it safely I hope its findable, 

The thing I think that puts me and probably most off using pva bags normally is the faff everytime you want to recast, you need to dry your rig out make a fresh bag tie it up and I'm pretty sure it's why most people use mesh bags just hooked on and chucked out 

The best solution so far seems to be just to use an avid bag stem or similar it seems pretty safe only one loopknot in the mainline above which a bored out lead would easily pass over and even easier if you could slide a piece of tubing over it, which would then take out the knot risk completely 😁

I think sometimes I really want to find these solutions only to discover they are already there 😁😁😁😁

Screenshot_20200228_120054_com.android.chrome.jpg

Looking into the bag stems a little closer they seem to be made from a bag insert with some kind of loop made from some kind of leader material, there seems to be options again anyway 

Fox do a tadpole insert that looks by far the safest set up, as the lead comes off the insert not the swivel, leaving you with a bare lead with no insert running up the line, 

I can feel a trip to the tackle shop coming on 😁

On 27/02/2020 at 16:45, elmoputney said:

Clutching at straws here lol but if I was to make a leader out of uncoated braid hooklink would that be ok? 

Both travel over the knot easily as its a lot finer, obviously still a no no in weedy or snaggy situations but is this still dodgy do you think? 

You could take the plastic insert out Of the inline and just use the rubber swivel bead that comes with the lead to hold it altogether.

the lead will pass over almost any knot then if any breakages happens

5 hours ago, framey said:

You could take the plastic insert out Of the inline and just use the rubber swivel bead that comes with the lead to hold it altogether.

the lead will pass over almost any knot then if any breakages happens

I tried pulling the insert out of one of my ebay leads didn't want to come out, they will need drilling I think 🤔🥴🤠

I think seeing how i won't be losing them I may splash out on a few fox ones to go with the tadpole set up as apparently they are slightly bigger holes so should be perfect, 

I am taking rapunzel to the fishing shop now wish me luck 🎣🐟