Bream deflectors

elmoputney

1 minute ago, elmoputney said:

One thing I found out at St Ives was bream didn't get caught as much if I only used hemp and boilies rather than a spod mix, I did catch some tench using this though 😁

Does anyone think hemp on its own isn't as attractive to bream as other particles? Or was that just coincidence? 

Just coincidence in my opinion.  

14 hours ago, elmoputney said:

One thing I found out at St Ives was bream didn't get caught as much if I only used hemp and boilies rather than a spod mix, I did catch some tench using this though 😁

Does anyone think hemp on its own isn't as attractive to bream as other particles? Or was that just coincidence? 

My friend told me to use just hemp and boilies aswell actually.. 

On 20 February 2020 at 18:29, elmoputney said:

I don't think hemp is a bream attractor, and with how they feed, I don't see the need to add it to any bream groundbait.

Bream hoover up food from the lakebed, there is no need to use hemp, or even any particle in the groundbait mix. Plain breadcrumb, a mix of white or brown crumb will hold them. The addition of maggots, chopped worm or caster is simply as a hookbait sample so in theory they will take the hookbait.

With that though, you can carp fish over groundbait, any spod mix, and boilies on the hook and catch bream, because they do hoover up the groundbait.

Particles in bream groundbait simply bulk it out, but particles as part of a spod mix, with no groundbait will also be a feeding area.

I do some fishing specifically for (big) bream, and groundbaits aimed at bream fishing do not produce any more bream than Vitalin or plain crumb. The reason I think for 'flavoured' bream specific groundbaits is aimed at match anglers trying to stimulate feeding, whereas I was fishing for fish that I knew would be in the area, or moving in.

To avoid bream, don't spod in loads of bait in areas they visit.

If there’s that many bream I wouldn’t spod. 

I think a bream will have a go at anything on the hook if it’s hungry enough 

I had two last summer off the top on dog biscuits in 4 ft of water I actually seen the takes 😳

Maybe nip a small bag on the hook and recast to a different area of your swim if no bites are forthcoming  I set my phone alarm for six hours and recast all the rods  if no one is in the nx swim cast over there cover as much water as you can. 

Good luck

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, StinkyMink said:

You can make ''feed boilies'' with groundbait really easily mate, just substitute some of the liquid with a bit of egg (a large egg liquid content weighs about 50g if I remember rightly) then roll them up and boil them lightly into a crumbly boilie

I don't think bread is great for hard boiled boilies, I think they go too hard and indigestible because white bread gluten is so strong.. But I'm far from being a bait expert anyway. Lol. If I'm using boilies I just use DT and RG baits frozen, love them both

I used to work with the originator of DT baits many years ago Dave Thorpe, he no longer had anything to do with the company for some reason though, and seemed to just leave carp fishing which was a shame as he was a great guy, very knowledgeable