What's your go to bait / rig combo??

mac_91

Hi everyone, 

My friends and I got into carp fishing last year but I think any success I had was pure luck, I was using a method feeder with ground bait, maggots and sweet corn in it and sweet corn as bait. This yielded mixed results with a few carp but mostly bream. 

What would you say is the best beginner bait / rig combo? The lake I typically fish at has a muddy bottom and I am thinking of using a wafter boilie on a chod rig. 

I have recently had my birthday and I got a Angling direct giftcard, I noticed that they sell a range of pre made rigs. When you go fishing what rigs would you not leave the house without??? 

Cheers in advance! 

I wouldn't use a chod rig with a wafter, I would use a simple knot less knot rig with a line aligner personally, I haven't used the chod rig much but I would say it's primarily designed for pop ups (I will probably be proven wrong now) but just keep it simple, 

Personally I would spend the time learning to make your own rigs, there are plenty of good videos on YouTube that can teach you, Carl and Alex are great to watch, they have started doing tutorial videos, just get watching all of those and you will soon learn your own way, 

Bait is a personal thing really, if you find one you are confident in then use that, if your not sure have a good look around here there are plenty of threads to browse through on bait and rigs 

Good luck 

I try to stick to simple!

A line aligned, knotless knot rig on coated braid produces most of my fish when I use bottom baits, which is most of the time, although as I can fish 3 rods, I tend to have a pop-up on the 3rd rod. That is a rig ring sliding on the hookshank or D-rig also on coated braid for abrasion resistance, and my pop-ups tend to be close to the bottom, (as per the pic), held down with an olivette at the hook eye, so they are no more than hook height off the lakebed.

There are times when a 'higher' pop-up is better, on some lake beds. That did produce a number of fish for me last year in the early months.

The fact that you are catching fish, carp and bream, shows you are getting it right. Sweetcorn is one of the best baits going, but is not selective; it will catch almost everything, roach, rudd, carp, bream and tench.

To be honest on mixed fisheries I would be happy catching any fish, so sweetcorn would be my 'goto'. It is only if I want to be carp specific that I use boilies.  Time comes into it as well. If i'm fishing for the day I will use softer baits, I'm not normally carp fishing for just one day, although occasionally...

Big Dave caught far more carp than I did at the start of the year, he was fishing the Method feeder, for all fish. He was happy catching fish from 1lb up to doubles, whereas my approach was aimed at carp with pop-up boilies, I didn't want to be hooking skimmer bream. I was targetting specific areas, close to lilies, or the margin shelf.

On a blooming great reservoir I don't want to be wondering if my hookbait yesterday was snaffled by a 8oz roach, so I use big hard boilies.

image.jpeg

10 hours ago, mac_91 said:

Depends on the spot. Rigs and to an extent bait should be selected to suit the water and the spot you're fishing, but the multi and the spinner/ronnie are decent all-rounders imo. 

I am thinking of using a wafter boilie on a chod rig.

No mate - the chod is a pop up rig. Not suited to a wafter.

When you go fishing what rigs would you not leave the house without??? 

I take the kit I need to tie any rig (to suit the spot I believe the carp are feeding on).

Get on Youtube buddy and learn how to tie rigs. Ready tied rigs will do a job but hooks (the most important bit of tackle) will be dulled after a couple of takes so it pays to be able to tie your own.

Can’t get any more simple and versatile than a multi rig bud. Can be used with bottom baits/wafter/pop ups without changing the hook, or you can change the hook pattern if you want. 

being able to change the hook without cutting it off means there’s no excuse to not have a sharp hook on either. 

there is various connotations, I have used a stiff hinge multi rig  for a few years, more complex to tie and tbh I have no idea if it’s made a difference to hooking ratio but I’ve caught enough to be happy that it has!

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

Can’t get any more simple and versatile than a multi rig bud. Can be used with bottom baits/wafter/pop ups without changing the hook, or you can change the hook pattern if you want. 

being able to change the hook without cutting it off means there’s no excuse to not have a sharp hook on either. 

there is various connotations, I have used a stiff hinge multi rig  for a few years, more complex to tie and tbh I have no idea if it’s made a difference to hooking ratio but I’ve caught enough to be happy that it has!

Brilliant, thanks very much! 

Hi Mac

You mentioned Bream , and one of the many things I have learned on this forum is your rig must reset  ; so I'm thinking if you are getting a lot of silvers picking at your bait you don't want your rig lying in a tangled heap if your bait has been spat out . Therefore , I always use a coated braid .  I also prefer pop ups as they are " primed / cocked " ready , rather than having to spin to get into a position to hook a fish when the hook is lying flat on the lakebed .

I have some self tied Multi Rigs , but despite upping the hook size to a 4 my hook holds have all been in the scissors , and sometimes right on the edge leaving little margin for error . So I have been trying ESP Ready tied Gripper Combi- Rig in brown SZ.6 hook , and I hooked a carp yesterday in the bottom lip , but it's early days yet .

😃