Rig without using swivel

Chris Stratford

Hello fellow anglers,

So i recently joined a new fishery and the rules stated that no swivels should be attached to the mainline.

I would like to seek some advice regarding the best way to setup a rig without using swivels to attach leads. I know i can use looped line tie instead although i cant seem to find any examples on the internet that dont use a swivel in their rigs.

Thanks 

35 minutes ago, Chris Stratford said:

Hello fellow anglers,

So i recently joined a new fishery and the rules stated that no swivels should be attached to the mainline.

I would like to seek some advice regarding the best way to setup a rig without using swivels to attach leads. I know i can use looped line tie instead although i cant seem to find any examples on the internet that dont use a swivel in their rigs.

Thanks 

Can you use a leader ?

i can understand the no swivel on mainline part then

Edited by framey

I assume that it means you can't use a chod rig as the swivel can cut into the main line just above the lead if using mono. Lead core is usually OK but is also banned on a lot of fisheries. A standard lead clip set should is probably the way forward but that would depend on the amount of weed present as rigs can bury themselves.

That's not a very clear rule because I would assume that a naked chod with tied on leader to be ok and then as the swivel isn't attached to the line just free running  on the leader if you use a chod bead then that would be ok,probably best to ask the management to clarify 

And if you are using a lead clip generally you attach the hooklink with a swivel 

10 hours ago, Chris Stratford said:

Hello fellow anglers,

Thanks 

Chris said 'no swivels should be attached to the mainline'. It's a little bit ambiguous but I'm pretty sure that what is implied is that you can't have swivels running on the mainline, I can't believe that they have outlawed swivels as a means of attaching a trace to the mainline.

10 hours ago, Chris Stratford said:

Hello fellow anglers,

Thanks 

Welcome to Carp.com.

That is very ambiguous wording, covering everything and nothing.

A rotary/helicopter or chod set-up, if you use a swivel to tie the rig to is NOT attached to the mainline, it is free running within its limit, able to rotate, so definitely not attached.

As you have said, the normal attached swivel a join is from hooklink to the mainline. It is the swivel that is the connection between the two.

The simple answer is to tie your mainline to a quicklink or a ring and attach or tie the hooklink to the other side.

A run ring or lead clip will go on the mainline as usual, but if you use a run ring make sure you use a decent buffer bead to protect the quicklink.

As for swivels on leads, you do know you can cut them off? They work better without them as well😉

Thank you for all the replys so far, here is the text from the rules if anyone can understand it better. 

NO fixed leads. (running or semi fixed leads only - ensure leads detach easily,) NO swivels or clips joining leader to mainline (looped line ONLY) No sacking of fish. (under any circumstance). 

And leaders are allowed

Edited by Chris Stratford

11 minutes ago, Chris Stratford said:

Thank you for all the replys so far, here is the text from the rules if anyone can understand it better. 

NO fixed leads. (running or semi fixed leads only - ensure leads detach easily,) NO swivels or clips joining leader to mainline (looped line ONLY) No sacking of fish. (under any circumstance). 

And leaders are allowed

That's a lot easier to understand, basically don't attach a leader with a swivel 

45 minutes ago, Chris Stratford said:

And leaders are allowed

32 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

That's a lot easier to understand, basically don't attach a leader with a swivel 

As Elmo says, that is a whole lot better. One thing I will say: DO NOT fish a helicopter or rotary rig where the lead can detach.

It is the lead being on the line that allows the rig to come off the other end.

Just noticed something else about leaders; I don't usually fish braided leaders with a loop, I prefer to use a needle knot it makes a smaller tidier finish that anything and everything is more able to slide over, but the no swivels joining leader to mainline is very sensible.

Im quite a novice fisherman atm so some stuff isnt easily understandable. If im using a leader do i just tie my main line to it using either loop or like you say with a needle knot. So with doing that how does the lead sit because a lot of images of rigs i see are with a swivel connection to say an inline lead and i guess that also acts as a stopper for the lead.

thanks

22 minutes ago, Chris Stratford said:

So with doing that how does the lead sit because a lot of images of rigs i see are with a swivel connection to say an inline lead and i guess that also acts as a stopper for the lead.

Your understanding is correct. You can use a heli set-up or a lead clip too. The rule is just to stop you tying leaders on with swivels  as swivel at the other (rig) end is OK. You don't need to use a leader at all if you don't want to.

its ok to have a swivel at the rig end but not the main line end of your leader as it would stop the clip or lead from sliding free of the leader in the event of being snapped.

personally I only use lead core if ive absolutely got to and use tubing for 99% of my fishing.

1 hour ago, Chris Stratford said:

Thanks for the replies, i understand it much better now :). If any of you guys have further time to help me, you wouldnt mind sending me a link to a rig setup that follows the rules i stated just to further cement my understanding.

thanks

It’s very important to our sport that EVERY rig you use is a safe rig. And I was wanna say well done for asking and wanting to fish safely,well done,mate. 😎🎣