Which hook ?

6 hours ago, welder said:

Harpz, you might want to take a look at the Pallatrax Gripz range, too. Seriously sharp hooks! I spent a weekend tying rigs for an upcoming trip to France with them. My fingers have stopped bleeding now...……..

Ian.

I'm trying these out at the moment Ian, as the lake we're visiting in July has a barbless only rule. 

I originally ordered the wide gape version, but am put off by the angle of the point so have now ordered some straight points. 

But you're right............. they are seriously sharp.

On 01/06/2019 at 22:23, yonny said:

Nash Twister I think mate.

I thought it was them, but aren't they barbless?? 

Harpz s hook has a barb

18 hours ago, welder said:

Harpz, you might want to take a look at the Pallatrax Gripz range, too. Seriously sharp hooks! I spent a weekend tying rigs for an upcoming trip to France with them. My fingers have stopped bleeding now...……..

Ian.

12 hours ago, smufter said:

I'm trying these out at the moment Ian, as the lake we're visiting in July has a barbless only rule. 

I originally ordered the wide gape version, but am put off by the angle of the point so have now ordered some straight points. 

But you're right............. they are seriously sharp.

Eager to see how you guys get on with them. 

If they give a good hold and cause less mouth damage than a micro barb I'll be using them for sure 

21 hours ago, welder said:

Ian.

Is there any tackle shops selling these hooks ? 

On 03/06/2019 at 19:49, harpz_31 said:

Is there any tackle shops selling these hooks ? 

Don't think so mate. I bought mine direct from Pallatrax....

https://www.pallatrax.co.uk/our-products/gripz-hooks/

Like I say, I will be using these in France as the lake we're visiting has a barbless only rule. I've got two weeks off work, and the 1st week will be spent at home. Amongst other things I'll be getting everything ready for the trip. Going to tie a few rigs up and fit a day in at a local day ticket where you are more or less guaranteed to get a bend in the rod. This will give the Gripz a good work out.

Trust me......if I have any reservations at all,  I've got some Bank Tackle Continental's in reserve....😉

Edited by smufter

• 3 weeks later...

got both the pallatrax and nash hooks and so far have only used the nash hooks.

the nash twister are very sharp out of the packet but the point came back bent a few times after a short time in the water, all though they do sharpen quite well afterwards.

will be trying the pallatrax today and will post my findings.

5 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

the nash twister are very sharp out of the packet but the point came back bent a few times after a short time in the water, 

I had the same thing with korda kamakura, straight in the bin!! 🤣 

I sharpen the Kranks up, never had one of them bend on me since they first came out. 

5 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

the nash twister are very sharp out of the packet but the point came back bent a few times after a short time in the water

2 minutes ago, commonly said:

I had the same thing with korda kamakura, straight in the bin!! 🤣 

That is not the fault of the hooks lads.

That's you dinging them on gravel on the retrieve.

You need physical contact to bend a hook point. The sharper the hook, the less contact you need to bend them. Changing to a blunter hook is not the answer imo. You need to lift that rig off the deck prior to retrieving👍

2 hours ago, yonny said:

Changing to a blunter hook is not the answer imo.

As we said before mate, it will always get a flick with the file before going out! 

The bend issue was highlighted before I tried them, I had the same issue so chose not to use them as I never had it before. 

Which pattern do you use for zigs. I've been trying wide gap, but am open to good advice. 

Also whether or not to use an aligner? 

24 minutes ago, commonly said:

Which pattern do you use for zigs.

Honestly, I'm no that fussy when it comes to zigs mate. I will use big hooks though (normally a 6). Any old wide gape or curve shank jobby will do, I've even used chod hooks. As long as they're needle sharp I don't think it matters, I don't think mechanics are anywhere near as important with zigs. I always add a tiny bit of silicon to hold the gape open though.

4 hours ago, yonny said:

That is not the fault of the hooks lads.

That's you dinging them on gravel on the retrieve.

You need physical contact to bend a hook point. The sharper the hook, the less contact you need to bend them. Changing to a blunter hook is not the answer imo. You need to lift that rig off the deck prior to retrieving👍

Nah he was fishing next to Uri Geller :)

This is what I currently use, actually named bobbin. I saw an underwater film on zigs and it would appear I need to change. Heavier bobbin or an actual swinger that shows up better drop back indication, due to movement from hook length before the lead is moved giving a better indication. 

Maybe I should start different topic in this regard? Curious to hear what you or nige use

Screenshot_20190627-190850.png

Well these Pallatrax Gripz seem to be fine, and I have no qualms whatsoever about using them in France.

Seriously, (and I do mean seriously), sharp straight out of the packet and they stay sharp.

I've used them on my last 3 sessions, have lost two fish but that was definitely not down to the hooks, and landed one. Felt very confident playing all three, and on the one that was landed the hook came out very easily when the fish was in the net. 

Using the size 4's and they are not as big as some other size 4's I've tried. Highly recommended. 

Edited by smufter