Pod vs Sticks

I think we've had this before....

But what do people use...at moment i have a 2 rod licence and when my son comes with me (90% of time) i use 3 rods...2 for me 1 for him...but all on a 3 rod pod.

But going onto Wigan card next week and all waters are 2 rods...me personally dont like sticks and seeing 2 rods on a 3 rod pod looks silly...

Im between 2 pods at moment...Nash KNX 2 rod pod and the upcoming VaderX 2 rod pod.

But what i want to save money is to put the 2 rod buzz bar (only) onto my pod now...

NEW VaderX pod (i want this bar on my pod)

20190509_204755.thumb.jpg.dba7c4c300a936246e32b130735a8aa6.jpg

My pod now but want a 2 rod bar...

20190509_204809.thumb.jpg.94ba124102ae6d3dab21ad2cb9bc8fe4.jpg

Edited by Highy

I used both on my old 2 Rod ticket. 

With the 3 rod pod, just put alarms and butt rests on the out sides, job done! 

2 Rod bars on bank sticks, Cygnet black, reasonably priced. I tend to use these as it's alot easier & quicker to get up n running. 

Both have their place dependant on the bank conditions. 

18 minutes ago, commonly said:

2 Rod bars on bank sticks, Cygnet black, reasonably priced. I tend to use these as it's alot easier & quicker to get up n running. 

I do that on the outside with 2...looking at the 2 rod cygnet goalpost bar to see if fit my pod...

Currently I have been using single sticks as my rods are often pointed different directions.

When I do fish a 2 rod water with my 3 rod pod I put the rods on the outer rests. In fact at times even on 3 rod waters if the swim is tight I might choose to only fish 2 rods.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, commonly said:

4 hours ago, oscsha said:

single sticks for me , don't like pods .

As much as single sticks can be better if the swims are soft ground, mud, grass, even bark, some swims simply don't allow themselves to be fished with sticks as my bottom picture shows, and Commonly has said.

A number of swims I fish are stagings like the bottom picture, or rock hard gravel on hardcore, so a pod is most definitely needed.

You could on stagings resort to stage stands, but getting 4 or even 6 decent stage stands can be more expensive than buying a decent pod. I used to have a Cygnet pod myself, not a goalpost style, I did find them slightly unstable if the ground was not level, whereas the goalpost style was most definitely steadier, even if, as in my first post,  the bottom picture, one side is higher as the staging isn't level. Another advantage to that low frame style is you can tie wrap to the chicken wire on the platform, or on the platform, with a cup hook screw to the wood; on softer ground a normal tent peg or two can be used to stabilise the pod to hold it in event of a take.

The other thing I do like is a pod that can be used without the pod frame, but with banksticks and buzzer bars as Highy's bottom picture. On softer ground with the sticks level you create a firm stable set-up.

Sorry for the photobomber, (😆😖 ) but you can see in this picture how stable 3 rods on those sticks and bars can be.

I now own a Solar P1 pod, while it is a brilliant piece of kit, I actually end up having to use a pod almost all of the time, unless I do go to single sticks. 

Pods do have a disadvantage, getting your rod eye positioned just to the front of the alarm can be awkward. You are stuck as to a 'fixed' maximum length between front and rear bars.

I had to put a (bright yellow😖😅 ) tie wrap on the butt of my RH rods to stop the rod sliding forward if the tips are low. On my Century NG's I had ball stops on the butts, which actually meant I did not need rear rod rests. The ball stop went into the thread hole, or with butt rests just behind the rest, so it was easy to prevent rod slip and still pick up the rod.

image.jpeg

I just find single sticks to be so versatile , I use running leads alot so like my rod tips inline with the rig ,the rods do end up at some odd angles but thats never been an issue.

If am confronted with a platform then I'll fish the rods to the side from the bank or if not to deep the front sticks in the water and just rest the butts on something like my bait bucket .

For me a pod is last resort just not for me I'm afraid .

I'll try and do some rod shots although some of the OCD types may have to look away :) 

4 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Pods do have a disadvantage, getting your rod eye positioned just to the front of the alarm can be awkward. 

I had this discussion, with a few members on here about a year ago. The consensus was, that you get a far better bite indication if the rod eye/butt ring is past the alarm, allowing the line to drop from the alarm wheel to the swinger. With the ring behind the alarm, the natural drop of the line can be hindered. Also if you fish locked up or on tight drag, you won't have your butt ring smashing against the alarm,on an aggressive take. 

As with most things, everyone does things differently and how they feel things should be. 

9 minutes ago, oscsha said:

Didn't look right or didn't work ? :)

You'll be getting the tape measure and spirit level out next lol

Bit of both really...had a run and pulled to 1 side like bending...

Im not that bad....yet🤣🤣