Which B/S Fluro for D rig....

smufter

Looking to tie a few d rigs for France. Which breaking strain fluro do you recommend using, 15 or 20? Will be fishing Tigers and wafters and want my hooklength to kick nicely away. Will be using 15lb mainline.

And is the Korda IQ2 a good choice or is there "better" out there. 

Thanks lads.

• 2 weeks later...

Since trying their hook link materials a few years ago, I've not needed any others. No need for steam, easily shaped and reshaped, never had any abrasion or memory issues. I favour a 3 turn blood knot, simple. Blobs well with a lighter. 

Hydrolink is wicked & so easy to tie combi, multi rigs

http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/lines/fluorocarbons/rig-marole-camh2o-fluorocarbon.html#/product/50831

12756_600.jpg

On 01/03/2019 at 18:14, chillfactor said:

I still don't like using short lengths of  fluoro , personally think they snap to easy .

I've also struggled with fluoro hooklinks, always seem weak at the knot, particularly on shorter links. Don't mind using slightly longer links.

8 hours ago, yonny said:

I've also struggled with fluoro hooklinks, always seem weak at the knot, particularly on shorter links. Don't mind using slightly longer links.

Funny but I never had it go at the knots when testing , always snapped in the middle of the length. Esp ghost / IQ / can't remember the others I tried,  but I never cast any of them out just  wasn't happy how little it took to snap them .

Edited by chillfactor

That's where I found the 3 turn blood knot didn't stress the knot or hooklength. Iq's OK, but honestly the rigmarole stuff seems to be a bit different to the rest. A simple pull with tools straightens out with no need for steam!! It has to be made of a different material to the norm. 

6 hours ago, yonny said:

@commonly ESP Ghost Soft was the worst for it, I never actually cast it out, just kept failing when I tested it. Simple grinner knot IIRC.

3 hours ago, chillfactor said:

Funny but I never had it go at the knots when testing , always snapped in the middle of the length. Esp ghost / IQ / can't remember the others I tried,  but I never cast any of them out just  wasn't happy how little it took to snap them .

The number of fish I have seen lost by anglers who didn't test their hooklinks before casting them out. It took me ages to find a good fluorocarbon hooklink, I was never comfortable with the knot to swivel. Even D-rigs I made sure I tied carefully as I found the inside of the hook eye could cause a flaw in the hooklink. I went to the extreme of tying the hook on, then forming the D from the tag, and whipping it in place with thread, very fiddly!

The Spiderwire I have never found a problem with though, although I do use the Rapala loop knot to join the mainline swivel on rather than a blood or Uni knot.

• 3 weeks later...