New Gardner Hooks........

They look good, but being a long shank would need to check fishery rules as I’ve noticed a lot of fisheries seem to ban long shank and curved shank hooks, and obviously the Cvr is both. I’ve recently got some of the ridgemonkey hooks (blooming sharp!) not yet used them though....could be worth a look 

13 minutes ago, spr1985 said:

They look good, but being a long shank would need to check fishery rules as I’ve noticed a lot of fisheries seem to ban long shank and curved shank hooks, and obviously the Cvr is both. I’ve recently got some of the ridgemonkey hooks (blooming sharp!) not yet used them though....could be worth a look 

I've sent a link to them to our Bailiff to get his thoughts. If he says they are okay, then I may buy a couple of packs. But thanks for the heads up.

Have a look on Adam Pennings twitter his going mad about these and the damage they do to the fish. I have to admit he seems like a decent bloke in front of the camera's but on his twitter page he does come across as very up his own bum and not the most...friendly of blokes.

I havent used these hooks, so i have no opinion.

22 minutes ago, smufter said:

Well my Bailiff responded............ "You're not using those horrible things on here".

Just as well I checked!!

I thought they looked a bit vicious when they came out mate. There was a mixed response from a FB group I was on. Haven't used them myself, quite happy with the ESP Cryogen range. I have to say that I'm a big fan of Gardner in general and it's the first time I can remember questioning one of their bits. It's lazy angling really imo. As a more freindly version can be created with a bit of shrink tube , whereby the shrink tube will straighten out under the tension of a take. These are a crafty way of getting round the "bent hook", which are banned on most waters imo.

They look very close to the curved and bent hook patterns that have been banned for serious mouth damage.

A few fisheries have started totally banning any curved shank hooks totally as they have found mouth damage being caused. To be honest, silicon or shrink tubing, either line aligned or with a 'kicker' or kink for the straight talking. Just by extending the shank length can make ejection more difficult, with a line aligner...

image.jpeg

9 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

They look very close to the curved and bent hook patterns that have been banned for serious mouth damage.

A few fisheries have started totally banning any curved shank hooks totally as they have found mouth damage being caused. To be honest, silicon or shrink tubing, either line aligned or with a 'kicker' or kink for the straight talking. Just by extending the shank length can make ejection more difficult, with a line aligner...

image.jpeg

Dont like the look at all of those...im with spr...i lime the ridgemonkey ones...but standard kurve shank hook only for me...korda hooks only so far.

I can't help but think the gape on these will be almost completely closed if using a hook link with any anti tangling properties. The original Mugga is a classic curve shank and I do wonder if that pattern aint optimal in terms of performance then why does everyone offer something very similar?

I'd defo be interested to hear reviews of the CVR from users. I did see a shot of it used on a ronnie somewhere and it looked good.

3 minutes ago, yonny said:

I can't help but think the gape on these will be almost completely closed if using a hook link with any anti tangling properties. The original Mugga is a classic curve shank and I do wonder if that pattern aint optimal in terms of performance then why does everyone offer something very similar?

I'd defo be interested to hear reviews of the CVR from users. I did see a shot of it used on a ronnie somewhere and it looked good.

Im pretty sure it's a hook with the intended purpose of being used for ronnie rigs, as well as applied elsewhere. From what I've heard it was developed with the ronnie in mind.

38 minutes ago, yonny said:

Not sure that's the case @greekskii. The literature I've seen touts it as an all-rounder that accentuates curve shank mechanics. The Gardner spiel refers to the blow-back and german as well as the ronnie.

fair enough, I just saw a video with it being shown with a ronnie rig, assumed it was it's main aim for the market. Especially as its the 'in' rig at the minute. 

Just like when the chod rig was the 'in' rig all the stiff rigger hooks got renamed

3 hours ago, greekskii said:

fair enough, I just saw a video with it being shown with a ronnie rig, assumed it was it's main aim for the market. Especially as its the 'in' rig at the minute. 

Just like when the chod rig was the 'in' rig all the stiff rigger hooks got renamed

Well off you go then Greekskii , the forum is waiting for a review , chop , chop ! .

:D