Must have tackle

If you look at it in a bigger picture than just the uk scene, then I can see a lot of these being sold.

just think of those long stay anglers who live on, or travel Europe. Some of those banks are like swamps to start with, never mind after two or more weeks walking back and two to the rods. Add that to the ressies that can drop in levels, leaving nothing but mud to fish from. 

No, they certainly ain't!!!

in the same breath though, I wouldn't want to carry 3 of them around with me either. Also, not many people would have access to them like we do. 

The nash one is accessable and easyier to carry around than a load of plastic mats to make the equivalent coverage. 

Each to their own I suppose. Like I say, I can see loads of these being sold on the continent and to the traveling, long stay angler. 

P.s as mentioned, the main reason for the matts at our place, is to save the swims. Not for the comfort of the anglers - although that's a nice bi product!! 

They were a god send on that session Nige .... hammered it down 2 of the 3 days . The swim would of been in a terrible mess without them ,as would I  . 

Just to add the ones on our syndicate are heavy duty jobs , non slip & also don't hold water & already in the swim. Would I want to carry one.. NO 

Edited by chillfactor

11 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

That's the lake I run and I have these in every swim, along with a spare stash by my generator shed. 

Two at the front of the brolly and a strip up to the rods. Can make a massive difference in saving the swim from becoming a quagmire. 

Must admit I'm lucky in that many swims are gravelled so water drains away, not all are though, some do become a paddy field when its wet. That nice January catch I had a few years ago, I was kneeling in water, or on a carrier bag when I was doing pics. 

I do carry a spare groundsheet with my bivvy, it rolls up small enough to fit in the umbrella bag wrapped around the brolly, and my spare unhooking mat becomes a dog bed as well as me walking over it.

By the way Nige, check out your spelling, you've dropped an American spelling in a post:wink:

I don't like gravelled swims. I try my best to keep the lake looking as natural as possible. 3 of the swims are grass with the others having a top up of bark from when we do any cutting back during work parties. 

As phil said, that swim gets no sun when the trees are in leaf meaning it gets quite mossy, holding water throughout the year. I would still rather that than a gravelled swim though. 

One of the things that tickles me is the way that manufacturers are making up problems to be solved with their products.... yes I know it's called "Marketing" BUT back in the 70's we roughed it... a brolly with a bit of nicked tarp, a cheap sun lounger and even cheaper sleeping bag... jeezus we are spoilt bankside now... I know a few still do it "Au Naturel" but I even saw a green carpers baccy pouch the other day .... do me a favour... Last time out at Bluebell I saw a bivvy with a sky dish and generator fer cryin' out loud... if you are taking it to that degree you might as well stay at home with yer X-Box-Boy thingy and play that BIG Fish game....

The thing is, no one is stopping you using a sun lounger and piece of tarp for cover, sleeping in a cheap bag. 

Back in the day, I bet you never had electric windows on your car, or air con. There isn't really a 'problem' winding down the window with a handle is there? But it didn't stop the advancement of electric windows, which were a luxuary at the time but are now standard. 

14 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

The thing is, no one is stopping you using a sun lounger and piece of tarp for cover, sleeping in a cheap bag. 

For sure. I remember when I first started doing nights, I used this horrible Argos wire framed sun longer, a cheap 70's brown and orange summer sleeping bag that my Dad gave me, this absolutely useless leaky Nash bivvy thing that cost about 60 quid new.... not necessarily because gear wasn't available but because I couldn't afford anything better. I'd be absolutely freezing, regularly caught colds, ate and drank complete rubbish as I had no stove lol.... I DO NOT miss those days!

But you wouldn't catch me dead using one of these Nash path things!!

48 minutes ago, yonny said:

For sure. I remember when I first started doing nights, I used this horrible Argos wire framed sun longer, a cheap 70's brown and orange summer sleeping bag that my Dad gave me, this absolutely useless leaky Nash bivvy thing that cost about 60 quid new.... not necessarily because gear wasn't available but because I couldn't afford anything better. I'd be absolutely freezing, regularly caught colds, ate and drank complete rubbish as I had no stove lol.... I DO NOT miss those days!

But you wouldn't catch me dead using one of these Nash path things!!

lol

I won't be buying one myself either mate. But, I do think they will sell quite a few of them..

7 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

Quick question for you Yonny - If you were to fish my lake (I've mentioned a possible guest ticket for you), would you utilise the matts that I have in the swims there? No right or wrong answer btw, or trick question!! lol

Nige trying to see if he can muscle in on the market now look :lol::lol: