Multi rig critique

Richard713

The loop did just about pass over the hook, I made up several and most just fit over the hook so it's about as short as I could get them! Just need to eek out my first run on the rig now haha. 

Which boilies do you guys favour with this rig? I've just got my hands on some of the new Bait tech triple N.  Will give them a try. They smell great! 

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

I will only use the multi rig. Great rig. Yours looks good. I mould the putty around the knot but that's personal preference. I also use a stiff material for the pop up section. 

Hope the pic works. Been deadly for me. Had many a fish over the last few years on the multi. 

IMG_4220.JPG

I like those, although putty on crayfish waters is a big no no.

I do have a slight modification to deal with that though, may have to take some pics to put up.

Basically a tungsten sliding bead on the 'linklet', below a swivel, and the end knotted and blobbed.

These are overweighted. Found better results when fishing over clear enough bottoms. Slow sinking is a preference when using balanced baits or standard braid multi rigs. 

Those beads look good for beating the Crays. A shot on the tag end is another style of this rig. Could that avoid their attentions? Or even wire stripped from some leadcore? 

36 minutes ago, Big Common said:

What are the crays like, with tungsten beads Nick?... I expect they have a go at anything... But the Taska, tungsten chod beads sit nicely on a pop up rig. I know Gazlaar uses them to good effect.

https://www.fishingrepublic.net/taska-baseline-swivel-chod-bead-tas1265.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwt6fHBRDtm9O8xPPHq4gBEiQAdxotvKiu2RphCdACnVrvCqY7FTxrjMnCxQvc4Y_5gZ7tZZ8aAg9a8P8HAQ

Tungsten tubing, forget it, tungsten putty, no chance.

They don't manage these!

I got hold of as many Ace ones as I could when Ace got taken over by Shimano.

Slight modification to the rig, to work nicely for my purposes. Pop-ups to be honest can be a pain with Crays, who will rip anything bait wise apart, but I can use a mini soaked wooden ball, just not too long, or use, and dry it out again. The smell or taste of the bait soak then impregnates it.

image.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Richard713 said:

Thanks for all the advice guys.
One more question, how do you all avoid tangles on the cast?
I'm using an anti tangle sleeve at the top of the rig - is this enough?

I dont use one of them, I use some shrink tubing (mainly because I have loads and im too tight to buy anti tangle sleeves) 

I form a big loop to attach to the kwik change clip and a 2 inch section of shrink tube is steamed around that with the know roughly in the middle. It helps kick the rig out on the cast. SO does hitting the clip correctly and feathering the line on the cast.

4 hours ago, Richard713 said:

Thanks for all the advice guys.
One more question, how do you all avoid tangles on the cast?
I'm using an anti tangle sleeve at the top of the rig - is this enough?

A piece of dissolving foam around the hook and 'linklet'.

The main boom has a loop knot at both ends.

On 08/04/2017 at 18:28, Richard713 said:

How do these look guys? I decided to go with a bait screw which seems really easy to me. They certainly seem to grip well on my popup boilies. 

rsz_20170408_121916.jpg

rsz_20170408_121904.jpg

they look good to me. since changing my hook pattern to the curve shank pattern similar to yours ive not lost a fish and every time they are nailed bang centre of the bottom lip. well more like an inch or so back in the mouth. don't be afraid to use bottom baits or wafters/ critically balanced baits with this rig either. id say 90% of my fishing is now done with this rig.

8 hours ago, Richard713 said:

Just to report, caught my first two carp on the multi rig this evening, a 13lb Mirror and a 15lb Mirror, along with a couple of silver fish too. All were nailed perfectly in the bottom lip and fell to a Nash Citruz popup. This has given me great confidence!!! :lol:

Good stuff Richard ! .

:)

Both great rigs but for me the Hinged stiff rig is my preferred choice ... i just like the loops either end and the way it settles also the movement makes it harder for the fish to deal with the multi i find is a little bit one dimensional on the movement part over clay or gravel i would use the multi but silt and weed is deffo a job for the hinged.

Edited by DEANO30

Both knots at either end where tied with a single one loop knot . Would that be strong enough or should I have went through twice ? 

I did try doing it twice but it was bulky and looked clumsy. Tho the one turn loop does feel strong and secure on a hard pull when testing