Fishing like Chris Yates

Uroy

Think angling pressure plays a part on most waters. A majority of the places I have access to, the fish just seem to push out into open water especially in the day time.

I agree with that.

I used to love stalking along the margins but on a lot of the waters I've fished in the last 10 years I've tended not to find carp close in to fish for. I'm sure this is due to modern 'anglers' making a racket on the bank - setting up right on the waters edge, having bbq's, with those God awful ridgemonkey lights lighting up the bivvy like a space station.

I'd used to always have one rod in the margins by default and for my first 10 years angling that was normally the most productive rod. I don't do that anymore - they usually sit motionless for 2 days now. I'd have to see feeding carp to pop one in the margins these days, which is rare.

Nowadays I'll go stalking only to do three laps, find nothing, and end up back in the swim chucking zigs at open water where the fish are showing.

It would be nice to have an Estate lake to yourself...... :wink:

Wouldn't it lol

Edited by yonny

Sometimes a bit of freelining in the Summer.. Think angling pressure plays a part on most waters. A majority of the places I have access to, the fish just seem to push out into open water especially in the day time. Love picking a fish up from the margins. But again, sheer numbers on the bank make a mobile approach quite difficult. It would be nice to have an Estate lake to yourself...... :wink:

My local park lake is actually the opposite.

The buzzer anglers nearly always cast across the lake from one side to the other to the edge of the rushes, pushing the fish into a back channel. I tend to fish Sweetcorn over Vitalin with the lift float and the centre pin.

Great fun nabbing fish when the clutch screams and breaks the reverie

Ive been wanting to try fishing with a centrepin reel for ages but kept putting it off. Reading this thread & watching some videos on youtube I think its time to finally have a go.

Chapmans have got a nice stillwater purepin for £20. There are two models 4" & 4 3/4". Which model would be best suited for canal use with a 10ft float rod ?. Dont want to spend much to begin with incase I dont get on with it, plus it comes in a presentation box so it will look nice on the shelf next to my fishing books if I dont use it.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

even though mr yates is a little eccentric he is one of my heros along with neil armstrong and buzz aldrin , and keeping things simple has got to be one of the fundamental elements of his fishing .there is no reason why you cant use a centre pin on a still water or a canal , its all about enjoying your fishing , not just the catch ..

dave 

Useless enough to land a record, though i do agree, modern tackle is fantastic.

Chris Yates fished with tackle that was contemporary to his "back to basic" technique and caught some fish that any angler would be proud to have achieved.

Of course the quality of tackle has improved in leaps and bounds but the use of it, the technique, remains, doesn't it?

Ian

It really does amuse me those who often cast to the horizon without considering the margins.

I honestly can't count the number of fish I have caught on a bait lowered in, rather than cast, including two personal bests, and a couple of 30+ fish.

I agree with that.

I used to love stalking along the margins but on a lot of the waters I've fished in the last 10 years I've tended not to find carp close in to fish for. I'm sure this is due to modern 'anglers' making a racket on the bank - setting up right on the waters edge, having bbq's, with those God awful ridgemonkey lights lighting up the bivvy like a space station.

I'd used to always have one rod in the margins by default and for my first 10 years angling that was normally the most productive rod. I don't do that anymore - they usually sit motionless for 2 days now. I'd have to see feeding carp to pop one in the margins these days, which is rare.

Nowadays I'll go stalking only to do three laps, find nothing, and end up back in the swim chucking zigs at open water where the fish are showing.

Wouldn't it lol

Have to agree Nick. 5 of my 6 six fish this year have come from the margins, I mean 2/3 feet from the bank and not a couple of rod lengths out.... Unfortunately I have only been able to fish like this through the night due to the fish moving out into open water during the days.... I love fishing like this, easier to present a bait and pre bait when no one is about/awake. The takes are absolute one toners that get your heart racing.

Quite often, on an otherwise bland water, the marginal edge is the only feature.

Nick and I have fished at socials together several times and I feel sure that he'll confirm that I always have at least one rod down the edge. Often more than one.

Ian

I recall one each side of the swim at Merrington, although if I remember rightly you were in the frozen north side of the lake on that occasion. Did you actually see the sun on that weekend? :o

I recall one each side of the swim at Merrington, although if I remember rightly you were in the frozen north side of the lake on that occasion. Did you actually see the sun on that weekend? :o

Sun? I saw it but the howling, icy gale blowing onto the frozen bank negated any of it's warming effects.

There were people on your warm bank wearing t-shirts and shorts whilst I was wearing every item of clothing that I then owned.

I've bought more, since.

Ian

My local park lake is actually the opposite.

The buzzer anglers nearly always cast across the lake from one side to the other to the edge of the rushes, pushing the fish into a back channel. I tend to fish Sweetcorn over Vitalin with the lift float and the centre pin.

Great fun nabbing fish when the clutch screams and breaks the reverie

This Highwoods by any chance?

Love Margin Fishing, Always always have a rod in the edge. My first thirty came no more then a foot of the bank in 2ft of water fishing up againt 1 lonely bullrush. Im fishing a lake which is completely featureless in the margins, so i have been casting or if possible dropping a rig a few feet off the bank in the next swim, No one ever tends to fish an open space in front of the swim left or right of them (from what i have seen anyone) but it has done me very well.

Love Margin Fishing, Always always have a rod in the edge. My first thirty came no more then a foot of the bank in 2ft of water fishing up againt 1 lonely bullrush. Im fishing a lake which is completely featureless in the margins, so i have been casting or if possible dropping a rig a few feet off the bank in the next swim, No one ever tends to fish an open space in front of the swim left or right of them (from what i have seen anyone) but it has done me very well.

Nice tip, might just give it a go

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk