A Bit Of Interactive Bank Chat

Gazlaaar

shhh no shouting  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen: , i think your spot on about late spring , thats my initial thoughts as well ! but youve got to have hope and dreams to keep you going  :wink: ,and all the time i can spend on the water this season/year will stand me in good stead for the spring 

i fish against myself and the water as ive said before so any fish i eventually do get is a step forward for me , plus there is always the possibility of a very good fish .no rush !, no panic ! and no publicity ! its all just for my own personal pleasure as it should be   :wink:   :mrgreen:

not sure if this is really the right place but !

aye just a bit gaz :wink: ! cant do interactive bank though im a bit of a technophobe and only do dumb phones :mrgreen: ,im just really getting a feel for the place, though ive spent a fair while just looking around before the fishing started ! ( i was hoping to start around may/june but building work unexpectedly started and i had to delay) and i have settled on an area that i know has and does produce fish occasionally " recon im wearing a trapper badge :P " pretty much agree with whats been said about baits by yourself and big common and settled on particles " as ive a lot of confidence in them from when i last fished for carp 30 odd years back and happy to stick with them for the duration plus its a big water with little pressure on the carp "or other species"from large quantities of boillies or other hnv baits so its natural ish ,whether this is the right approach or not time will tell ! theory behind the particles is i can use a variety of particle hook baits or fish a nut based boillie over the top (so it has a link to the basic background taste) giving a bait size the fish are used to ! im pre baiting twice a week regularly with about 1.5kg each time and generally trying to fish the morning and day after the pre bait and putting in about 1/2 a kg on each spot on leaving !

its taken a couple of sessions to get the feel of the tackle again so it becomes second nature ,and something i dont have to think about !,(i spent a day on a commercial just to give me a day casting,baiting up and handling fish again which helped ),its getting closer now to the stage where i can start thinking of doing a few over nighters ,im fortunate that i can get out mid week as despite the size of the water there are very few accessible swims and im limited due to a few mobility issues

i will get there eventually no major rush ,im just enjoying being back on the water fishing for carp again.im having another session monday and ill get out later in the week as well ,each time out gets better and i discover something new and fresh about the water

It sounds like a good plan, good luck :)

One thing I will say, and it's something I've honed lately, it's feeling for a donk, once you've cast out.

My water has been fished for many a year by some very good anglers, the clear areas are absolute bird targets, so your not really feeling for a clear donk on the end, more a settled donk, if that makes sense. There is a lot of weed present and I always feel the lead down on a tight line, it's hard to explain the feeling and im sure somebody else will explain it better, but it's like the lead has settled onto a thick rug, you still get that bounce transmitted, and your rod tip will shoot up a little.

Over a clear area you'll feel a clear donk, as the lead hits a firm substrate. What I'm trying to say is you don't always need that clear donk to be fishing effectively.

If I don't feel any kind of touch down on the end, I recast, and I won't settle until I get it right.

Edited by Gazlaaar

Just wondered Gaz, I noticed from some of your pics that you've fished the same area a couple of times. Have you noticed any difference in the "donk" on the spots where your baits been going in? I find it a real confidence boost when a spot starts becoming a bit clearer, without being totally polished. Also mate, with the extra distances you are having to achieve on the casts, has this affected the response on the drop your getting?

Having never really fished at longer distances I was wondering what the differences were , with the feeling down of the lead in mind. Or does your stepped up gear compensate for everything?

I always try to find the seam, where the clearer area starts getting a bit more choddy. Unless I turn up in the dark, which is not often, when any kind of cleanish donk will do.

I can only really speak of this water at the moment, I have fished a lot of other gravel pits in the past but every one I have found slightly different.

I spent the first few sessions fishing all around the pit whilst gathering info from those in the know.

All of these sessions I had the same feeling, I should if been in the area I am now. Just looking at the geography of the water from a birds eye view made it stand out. To be any where and fish it properly and confidently I never go on one aspect, I suppose it's a bit like science in that respect.

When you get a number of different points, pointing to an area then a picture starts to emerge.

A number of points came to fruition, it's location and the areas present, the weather, ie how this area is influenced by different weather fronts, wind and sun. Angling pressure played a role at last of all, information.

Put it this way, I'd need a really good reason to be anywhere else.

The water has thick weed beds, Canadian and silk to name but a few, you know when you've landed in something that's just thick full of weed and you also know when you've landed in something that allows a decent presentation.

The stepped up gear means heavier 4oz leads which I find I really get on with, and makes feeling much much easier even at a great distance.

When I first got a marker rod years ago I had no idea how to use it, so I set about dragging a lead over different surfaces like grass, sand, concrete and all manner of materials. Eventually I learned through shear hard work and I've also learned I need to be sure. If im unsure, it's gets a recast, simple as that.

I do use a sea break away lead, so if I am ever unsure, I'll cast that out and see what it brings back in.

I believe once you have gotten used to your rods and all the gear associated it becomes almost like an extension of your arm, again making things easier and more defined.

I'll go out on a limb here,

I used to fish with solid pva bags, for years I used these, and when you use a specific method it eventually becomes yours, you know it inside out.

I could even tell whether a bags had burst on the surface just by feel, and the rate it sunk. Sounds mad but true.

This is what I mean about making fishing your own, take what ever your confident in doing and hone your skills around that, soon enough you'll know how everything should feel and you'll fish better as a consequence.

It took me a while to get back into distance casting and im not claiming to be and expert, there are far better casters out there than me, but I've made it my own and im now completely confident in what I am doing :)

Bonjour thought I'd jump in seeing as a miracle has happened and I'm back side. Had two little commons and about 600 bream. That's park lakes for you I guess. God I'd be a rich man if I invented bream repellant :) apart from larger bait any tips for avoiding the slimeys? Only other thing to report is I'm a bit gutted father in law has had nothing and I made a point of putting him onto fish I saw showing before he arrived. He's 60 today so wanted him to bank some stuff :-/

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

No nuts over here unfortunately cm. I'm not actually fishing loose feed as such but I am fishing solid bags which have got a bit of pellet in... Hmm Ok that's probably why! The double boilie seems to be doing the trick atm. Although no more carp yet.

Boilie almost certainly has fish meal in it. Am back home now but don't get out much lately so was a pleasure catching the few carp and some snots really. Fishing there again I will have to think a bit more wisely and plan ahead.

Well, i went to usual little lake, not been there in ages, as i said i ran out of boilies so i fished a single pop up, a tigernut corn balanced and a lump of luncheon meat on 3rd, all day nothing, not even on meat, around 4pm the pop up rattled off. Bit odd seen as though the corner where the tigers were had around a kilo of corn and 20 tigers dotted around the pads. Not a sniff. Oh well least it was a pretty mirror, only around 9lb but its a fish, i was only one who caught

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

One problem I have been having with the distances in need is using a Hinged Stiff Rig, I've never gotten in with putty and I've tried loads, so I went the using a fox kwik change tungsten bead on the boom just behind the swivel. Which was fine for up to longish range, but this bead kept moving on a number of rigs so I ditched the idea until I saw these little beauties from Tasks.

20160926_104051_zpsq8fzxnpe.jpg

20160926_104144_zpswipx0qug.jpg

Now I shouldn't have a problem :)