Polarised glasses advice.

Looking for a new pair of polarised sunglasses as they will be a key bit of kit on the lake I'll be fishing this year and my current ones aren't too much cop.

After some recommendations please guys.

Don't care how much.

Don't care too much what they look like.

Just looking for superb performance for cutting through the glare and seeing what's going on under the surface.

Thanks. :)

I've been through all the cheaper brands (and a couple of the more expensive ones) over the years and last year took the plunge and bought some Costa Del Mar 580G's. They're not just a bit better than the others, they're a million miles ahead IMO.

Not cheap, but defo the most effective. Even the plastic lens ones (580P) were better than anything else I've tried, but the 580G's (glass lenses) are on a completely different level. If you truly aren't bothered about cost go and find a stockist and try them - I almost guarantee you'll but them on the spot.

They're made for angling where most of the other top end brands are not.

p.s. the lifetime warranty makes the cost a little easier to swallow.

I've been through all the cheaper brands (and a couple of the more expensive ones) over the years and last year took the plunge and bought some Costa Del Mar 580G's. They're not just a bit better than the others, they're a million miles ahead IMO.

Not cheap, but defo the most effective. Even the plastic lens ones (580P) were better than anything else I've tried, but the 580G's (glass lenses) are on a completely different level. If you truly aren't bothered about cost go and find a stockist and try them - I almost guarantee you'll but them on the spot.

They're made for angling where most of the other top end brands are not.

p.s. the lifetime warranty makes the cost a little easier to swallow.

With a recommendation like that it would be rude not too!

Found a pair online. Real tree Camo frames, 580G lenses. Yeah, little pricey those! In the basket waiting for pay day.

Cheers. :)

Edited by adamkitson

10% Easter discount from angling direct seems as good an excuse as any! Bought the Costa Del mar black fins, real tree frames, 580G lenses in green. Proper stalky looking! :D I will be out for a walk around the lake as soon as they arrive, and shall report back. (If it ever stops raining that is!)

Don't buy anything with glass lenses, trust me. My brother in law lost an eye when, having overcast into bushes, was pulling for a break and the line snapped, catapulting the lead into his polaroids.

It was the glass shards that blinded him, not the lead.

Plastic................

Ian

Sunglasses warehouse on ebay, or a company called Eyelevel glasses, which should Google

I do believe Ian used them in the past:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sunglasses-Warehouse-Online-Shop/_i.html?_nkw=Fishing+sunglasses&submit=Search&_sid=195197055

This is Eyelevel, but I know some tackle shops sell them (we do)

http://www.xxl-sale.co.uk/search/?q=Eyelevel%20Sunglasses&campid=5337249842&gclid=COrRzobc4csCFeop0woddRoMmA

Don't buy anything with glass lenses, trust me. My brother in law lost an eye when, having overcast into bushes, was pulling for a break and the line snapped, catapulting the lead into his polaroids.

It was the glass shards that blinded him, not the lead.

Plastic................

Ian

Fair play what an awful thing to happen. I fully feel for the guy! I've only had to pull for a break a few times, and if I do I ALWAYS walk away from the lake with my back to the water with the rod pointing backwards under my arm and as low as possible. A lead in the back of the head could kill, yes, but I still figure the chances are better than getting it in the face or, you know, anywhere else!

Cheers for that Nick! I bought the Costa Del mar's today from angling direct. Easter 10% off took the sting out a little.

Very pricey for sunglasses, but they'll get loads of use. I could never get on with plastic lenses tbh. Always had an issue with depth perception. Haven't worn cheap plastic lenses since I tried to take a step that was a foot closer than I thought it was and went down a flight of concrete steps. Ended up in a puddle of red mess at the bottom! All my other sunnies are rayban or Oakley. Not cause I have to have brands, just that the lenses don't distort things for me. I have one pair of plastics for cycling, as glass is just a no no for that, and they are as good as I can get. I tried many pairs to find some that didn't distort my vision. No good for fishing though. I have some wychwood plastic polarised ones which are acceptable for me at best, but they are rubish at glare reduction compared to some I've borrowed or been handed when I can't see a fish or feature. The quality glass lenses in the costa's will be fine, and reviews online and recommendation from yonny, I'm expecting as good as it gets for seeing through the surface. I'd only have spent it on beer otherwise! :D

got any recommendation for clip ons? i have tried all the normal type but as i wear prescription glasses i go virtually blind when i change over, negating any polarizing effect cos i cant see clearly anyway :lol: i have the prescription ones but they are cack for reducing glare.

got any recommendation for clip ons? i have tried all the normal type but as i wear prescription glasses i go virtually blind when i change over, negating any polarizing effect cos i cant see clearly anyway :lol: i have the prescription ones but they are cack for reducing glare.

I'd be interested in this too . Then people can sing "6 eyes a jolly good fellow" to me instead :)

No idea bud but I do remember seeing recommendations on forums when I was researching the Costas. A quick Google should give you some ideas - check the fluff chucking forums.

You wont regret it bud.

Yeah well, without a first hand review I would never have considered spending almost £250 on a pair of fishing sunglasses, but having received them, safe to say, I will never buy anything else again! Build quality, materials, comfort, clarity, polarising effect, look, actually better than I expected! Glad I went for the real tree frames with green lenses, proper carpy. Top product, glad I got them.

I think that Fortis make some overglasses rather than clip ons, but my Fortis wrap arounds are great.

I have some Snowbee over glasses I bought last year which are pretty decent, there better than any I've had previously and are a fly fishing make, which is probably why they're better. Although I don't think any you find will come as close as proper prescription polarising lenses.

I need to go get my eyes tested and new glasses as I stepped on mine the other week. Once I have my prescription I think I'll bite the bullet and get some proper prescription polarising glasses.

I would never have considered spending almost £250 on a pair of fishing sunglasses, but having received them, safe to say, I will never buy anything else again!

Exactly what I thought when I got mine.

I remember seeing  a comment on a forum when I was researching them - some guy said his vision was clearer/sharper with them on than it was without them - I thought what a load of you-know-what, but, when I got them, I could see what he meant. They're just brilliant....

Edited by yonny

I have some Snowbee over glasses I bought last year which are pretty decent, there better than any I've had previously and are a fly fishing make, which is probably why they're better. Although I don't think any you find will come as close as proper prescription polarising lenses.

I need to go get my eyes tested and new glasses as I stepped on mine the other week. Once I have my prescription I think I'll bite the bullet and get some proper prescription polarising glasses.

androoooo i have the prescription ones but they dont cut glare on water at all, they are great for driving as they will cut any glare from the screen but they just act like cheapy sunglasses on water, gutted cos they were not cheap either :(

androoooo i have the prescription ones but they dont cut glare on water at all, they are great for driving as they will cut any glare from the screen but they just act like cheapy sunglasses on water, gutted cos they were not cheap either :(

I was thinking of prescription Costa del Mars that are designed for fishing. Although I checked them out today and with prescription lenses, they're over £300.

I'm off to America later in the year and as I'll need to go get an upto date prescription, I may see if they're cheaper over there and pre-order to collect on my travels.

I think the Snowbee over glasses were around £20-£30. If I'm wearing normal sun glasses, I'll just wear my contacts but for a fishing situation, they're just impractical.

• 3 months later...

I had an eye test last week and spoke to my optician about polarising glasses for fishing. Essentially for different sports, they treat the lens with additional filters to reduce certain wave lengths of light. So if you bought standard polarising glasses, that's probably why.

He told me based on what's available on the Costa del mar site, they could produce something similar but not exact based on the wave lengths that Costa say they remove. Predominantly yellow light, which the eye is most sensitive to. So it seems not all polarising glasses are created equal.

Maybe it's worth speaking to your optician about what you want to use the glasses for to get improved polarising lenses for fishing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk