Washed out baits

40 minutes ago, yonny said:

Imo if you need to wash out your baits to get a bite there is something very wrong with your bait.

We pay all that money for the most attractive bait we can get then wash all the attractors out. Makes no sense to me.

If you want a soft bait try washing in; saturating in a water/glug/hydro mix. This adds to the attractors rather than washing them out and softens them up nicely. As they're saturated they don't take on silt either.

Spot on 

Washed out baits are something I will use only on very tricky waters where they've seen it all before, and it has worked well for me.

To me there are 2 clear advantages, it looks like its been in the swim for much longer than it has, therefore safer than fresh looking bait, and its softer and easier to eat.

My baits are always fast breakdown anyway so I don't usually worry about this, after an hour they look like they've been in for a full day or more, but if I was using a harder bait I would really consider soaking/glugging before the session.  Again depends on the venue and perceived difficulty.  If it's silty I would always pre-glug the baits so they cannot suck in foul smells.

Edited by kevtaylor