adjustable zig rig - concept (The TiG Zig Rig)

tonymgarner

Hi

Trying to think of a rig set up for an adjustable zig rig.

I have a narrated diagram but can't seem to attach it (any instructions)?

It revolves around a back to back 5 turn uni-knot and some low diameter shrink tube to hold the knots in place during the cast, mushroomed knot ends to stop the knots slipping/un-raveling.

It is intended to allow you to use the same rig again and again and vary the depth by twice the single line length.

Would require a good pop-up to hold the weight or could add bouyant corn (or similar). I am thinking quite wide diameter line to aide tying and adjusting the length up or down.

Maybe some rig/shrink tube to hold the double line section together.

Any suggestions comments??

Reading that confused me.lol. Simply slide a lead on to the main line followed by a bead. Get a fox sunken pike float they have a peice of black silicon on them slide that on to the mainline tie on a swivel and slide the silobon over the swivel this semi fixes the float. Then simply tie hooklink to the swivel. To stop it tangleing get sum pva foam and fold it over the silicon sleeve and stick the hook threw the foam and it ready to go. Had fish to 37lb plus on this rig.

Hi

Trying to think of a rig set up for an adjustable zig rig.

I have a narrated diagram but can't seem to attach it (any instructions)?

It revolves around a back to back 5 turn uni-knot and some low diameter shrink tube to hold the knots in place during the cast, mushroomed knot ends to stop the knots slipping/un-raveling.

It is intended to allow you to use the same rig again and again and vary the depth by twice the single line length.

Would require a good pop-up to hold the weight or could add bouyant corn (or similar). I am thinking quite wide diameter line to aide tying and adjusting the length up or down.

Maybe some rig/shrink tube to hold the double line section together.

Any suggestions comments??

As Liam says, go the easy way with with a Pike Float fished next to the hooklink swivel.

Or if you want there is a Fox Adjustable Zig Rig kit :wink:

As for avoiding hooklink tangles with a long hooklink, you could always tie a PVA bag or stringer to the swivel, and nick the hook into the bottom corner of the bag.

It doesn't even have to be floating baits either, but an active groundbait that constantly moves from bottom to top and Up and Down, or the floating baits that rise from the lakebed to the surface will give the same impression as your hookbait.

It was mentioned in a magazine recently, but I've been doing it for years :wink:

In all honesty id wait for the Nash adjustable float kit. I have the fox one and there's nothing wrong with it but feels a bit bulky. The Nash one is very discreet. Seems as if its been given a bit more thought. Out this year i believe.

I've got the Fox one, ansd I'd agree, it is very bulky. That put me off using it. I'll keep a look out for the Nash one.

Save your money and use sunken pike float s there as bouyant as you like there clear plastic very discreet far better than any zig kit and about tenner cheaper pick em up for couple of quid. these kits are a scam dont fall for the marketing. havnt seen the nash ones dont no what they retail at but garantee they wont do anythin a sunken pike float carnt.

• 1 year later...

These sunken pike floats ....are they the same as the clear bubble floats that i use as controllers when surface fishing ?

If yes , then i have a question .

When surface fishing i usually fill the bubble float with water for obvious reasons but if using one on an adjustable zig , should i add any water or leave the bubble empty ?

I have considered using the zig grenade but im confused as to where to place the pva tape and hook cos the photos not too clear .

And i have the fox halo zig kit but its really bulky and like , tangle city :(

I just know its going to be hot when i fish next so the zigs will have to come out at certain times of the day :wink:

Tim they are a little different from my experience. You don't fill them with water and ideally you want some kind of colour on the top so that you can see the float when it lands. A pike float does the job, a surface controller may if you can make it out at distance.

I set mine up with the below.

Running lead threaded on first.

Line threaded through float and secured to swivel.

Attach zig link, be sure to know the length of your hook link.

Cast out. Tighten down, then let the bail arm off and let the float come to the surface.

Tighten til the float is just going under hence needing to be able to see it.

Reel in how ever many feet your hook link is. If it's four then from when the float goes under you need to take in four foot and the zig is on the surface.

Then take in however much more you want to get the zig to the right height.

Hope that helps.

These sunken pike floats ....are they the same as the clear bubble floats that i use as controllers when surface fishing ?

If yes , then i have a question .

When surface fishing i usually fill the bubble float with water for obvious reasons but if using one on an adjustable zig , should i add any water or leave the bubble empty ?

I have considered using the zig grenade but im confused as to where to place the pva tape and hook cos the photos not too clear .

And i have the fox halo zig kit but its really bulky and like , tangle city :(

I just know its going to be hot when i fish next so the zigs will have to come out at certain times of the day :wink:

DSCF1333_zps8cf51183.jpg

Tim they are a little different from my experience. You don't fill them with water and ideally you want some kind of colour on the top so that you can see the float when it lands. A pike float does the job, a surface controller may if you can make it out at distance.

I set mine up with the below.

Running lead threaded on first.

Line threaded through float and secured to swivel.

Attach zig link, be sure to know the length of your hook link.

Cast out. Tighten down, then let the bail arm off and let the float come to the surface.

Tighten til the float is just going under hence needing to be able to see it.

Reel in how ever many feet your hook link is. If it's four then from when the float goes under you need to take in four foot and the zig is on the surface.

Then take in however much more you want to get the zig to the right height.

Hope that helps.

Yeh it does Andy . A bit :(

Im not a complete stranger to zigs and i have used a bubble float before , sight not being an issue cos its only margin zigging so to speak , theres a nice deep drop off about 5-7 metres from the rod tips .

I take it inline floats ARE the way to go ?

The fox kit has a really large float that has an eye for the line to pass through and a long boom for the lead .

Its the tangles i have problems with . Still . :(

Im toying with the idea of using a pva stick full of riser pellet or solar up & down groundbait on the hooklength to try and eradicate tangles .

Purely using a bit of pva tape is confusing this old dinosaur as i dont really know the best place on the set up in which to fix it ?

Tim just an inline float and running lead as per blankalots picture.

The manufacturers have complicated it to make more money from it and the complexity probably makes it more prone to tangles.

No need to fill with water as that's just for casting weight when surface fishing.

Keep it simple, feather the cast and just make sure the float pops up.

If the float doesn't pop up then you have a tangle.

• 2 weeks later...

Tim....I used the exact set up as blanksalot over the last two days. Only suffered one tangle, I only had the one fish and that came on a zig straight of the lead. But most fishing was done with the adjustables with the fish cruising through the swim in 10ft of water. Couldn't seem to buy a bite. Tried different depths and with nothing happening tried spodding over the top, twice landing on my zig and catching on the spod.

Thanks Andy .

Im pretty sure its no more than 6 ft deep where i'll be fishing anyway so in the absence of a marker set up i'll be having a good plumb around with a coarse rod & stick float before i zig up anyway .

Due to my lack of confidence in this type of fishing im currently intending to try traditional zigs straight off the lead and spend a few hours tying various size hooklengths up :)

Dal , if you read this mate , how exactly do those Avid zig holder thingys work for storing em ?

I didn't use the marker, just the adjustable zig float to get depth. But if it's only 6 ft wouldn't bother.

My only fish came on a 3ft length straight off the lead. I went with Reedy from here and despite the fish being in the upper layers, he had better success on the bottom.

...Dal , if you read this mate , how exactly do those Avid zig holder thingys work for storing em ?

Tim, the hook goes over the fixed bar on the rim of the disc, then you wrap the rig around the wheel. The loop of the rig is then hooked over one of the hooks on the moveable yellow plastic bits.

You can put two rigs per disc, one on either side of the wheel, and you'll need to unhook one to get the other rig off (Depending on which rig you use).

If this doesn't make any sense, let me know and I'll put up some photo's o a short video showing you what my gibberish is supposed to mean.

That should be fine thanks mate .

I can see me making up a lot of zigs very soon and dont wanna get 'em mixed/ tangled up .

I take it you mark yours up so you know which spool is which ?

Be foolish not to i spose doh ! :)

Tbh i really wanna go adjustable cos im lazy but im so unsure about it that i think im just better off going the traditional route especially as the lake is relatively shallowish .

Thanks for your help sirs :wink:

• 2 years later...