cuttle mill

my mate sent this to me today

Cuttle Mill Fishery

Just to set the record straight it is with regret to announce that the government is purchasing Cuttle Mill fishery due to the high speed rail line. It's not clear at this moment how the new owners will go forward with the fishery. But until then the fishery is open as normal until purchase is completed. The business is being sold as a going concern with the fish. Hope this puts all silly rumours to rest. May I take this opportunity to say a massive thank you to all our customers over the last 25 years.

Kind regards from all of us at Cuttle Mill

I think its acceptable to say- "This is a rumour that Ives heard- I have no idea whether its true or not"...Or put "allegedly" at the end.

Cmon- spill it. :wink::D

Ok, what I'm told is, because HS2 is going through fisheries, land etc, they have to offer the owners of the land etc money, now, if a property is up for sale and the hs2 runs through it, then if the property dosnt get sold, the government have to offer OVER the asking price.

So by putting cuttle mill up for sale at a high price that nobody will buy it for, the government have to pay them more than the asking price, so they make a substantial amount of money from it.

This is again what I have being told, sounds clever, but I have no idea on this field so not sure how true it is.

The HS2 is the biggest con in modern history the country skint but the goverment have billions to spend on a railway track absolute joke. The only winners are the contractors who build it. Wonder how many back handers it took to make the plan go ahead. Goverment scum bags. :evil:

They charge you threw the nose to drive a 4x4 because its bad for enviroment but a high speed rail line that destroys unspoilt country side aint a problem, when there getting there billions of pounds worth of contracts up for grabs.

Cuttle Mill is only one of many being effected there fair few special lakes going to suffer.

The HS2 is the biggest con in modern history the country skint but the goverment have billions to spend on a railway track absolute joke. The only winners are the contractors who build it. Wonder how many back handers it took to make the plan go ahead. Goverment scum bags. :evil:

They charge you threw the nose to drive a 4x4 because its bad for enviroment but a high speed rail line that destroys unspoilt country side aint a problem, when there getting there billions of pounds worth of contracts up for grabs.

Cuttle Mill is only one of many being effected there fair few special lakes going to suffer.

I read somewhere in the anglers mail I think a year or 2 ago that over 40 fisheries will be destroyed.

3 around my way, although I don't fish any of the lakes that are being affected regularly, it's an absolute joke that the HS2 is being built, ruining historic fisheries, countryside etc and the government don't give a rats ass!

I read somewhere in the anglers mail I think a year or 2 ago that over 40 fisheries will be destroyed.

3 around my way, although I don't fish any of the lakes that are being affected regularly, it's an absolute joke that the HS2 is being built, ruining historic fisheries, countryside etc and the government don't give a rats ass!

They should concerntrate on the infrastructure that already exsists the railways are a joke always running late and councilations. Building anouther track not going current train users get to ware they want to be on time!

Wonder how much counsilations and lateness costs the economy threw loss of production in the work place thanks to late trains fair bit i bet. I nearly lost my old job thanks to trains running late most mornings .

• 1 month later...
so is it free fishing there now? or is it no fishing at all. anyone know what is happening to the fish???

Fish are staying in, according to cuttle mill it will be ran exactly the same when the government get it.

The only thing in not sure about is if it's open right now, but I presume it is.

The government will give in to the RSPB and the Antis and open it as an otter and cormorant sanctuary because there is plenty of food in there for them. Then in a few years when the train line idea gets binned they will advertise it as a top class fishery for sale.

Whilst the debate rages regarding HS2 and all that goes with it, this sad news just brings home the stark reality of what is effectively just one of a number of issues that are currently apparent and have the potential to affect this sport we love so much.

Cuttle Mill was responsible for my entry into carp fishing, some 34 years ago and whilst I have not been back for a good few years now, I have very fond memories of the place.

I can still recall seeing people around me catching carp on the Long Pool and thinking, I can do that; the pain when I lost my first my first 'proper' carp hooked on two grains of corn , cast out with an old leger rod to the lilies that used to run down the centre of the lake. The fish managed to get round my pole tackle - I didn't think about removing it when the reel handle started spinning, didn't have time!!

I learned so much and had many fantastic times down there - it would be untrue to say that I could write a book about the place, but I could do justice to a very entertaining chapter.

I know it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but it was a fishery that saw people travelling from all parts of the country to fish it and perhaps it was ahead of it's time. I can remember spending hours talking to Albert Brewer, who had the most incredible knowledge, particularly about fisheries.

I think that the stock levels gave rise to the assertion by some that it was an 'easy' water; I can recall an article written by Tim Paisley under his pseudonym 'Matt Black', about his mate ('Deeppocket') catching a 25 from there and insisting that the photographer ensured that the background features didn't give the fact away that it was a Mill fish, on the basis that it wouldn't have counted.

Sorry for the long rambling nature of this post - given the speculation regarding the council tenure, it may not be completely lost, but what has happened is incredibly sad.

• 2 months later...