yet another boring choddy question............

newmarket

just a quick question about chod rig components really .

in an ideal world i would like to pair up some 25lb esp stiff link material with a size 8 barbed or micro-barbed hook .

the question IS ... in your opinion WHICH size 8 hook would YOU use ?

there is more to this but i`d like to see some suggestions first before i reveal the reason for this question.

thanking you gentlemen in advance as always .

Thank you nige you've hit the nail on the head :)

The 25lb stiff link won't thread through the eye of the hook so it looks like a lower breaking strain material is in order.

Trouble is , SO I'M TOLD , this means that the hook link won't be as stiff and therefore won't sit up properly off the bottom ?

So what's your take on this mate , would you use a bigger hook and

Therefore a bigger bait and so on ?

Or is somebody pulling my plonker ?

Physics was never my strongpoint and rig mechanics go whoosh ! Straight over my head :cry:

Fox rigidty.

I have the 25lb version that will go through the eye of an Armour point SR size 7. It's tricky but cut at an angle and pulling the two strands of line already through at the same angle, leaves just enough room.

I also use the Ultima stiff link in 18lb which holds its shape really well and will pass through size 8's and 9's in the above mentioned hook pattern.

You could also look at mounting a mini swivel on the hook and a stop bead. Pull the bait right down onto (covering) the swivel. This way you can tie a standard knotless knot on the hook.

If you don't mind piercing the baits, something I do is blob the end of the bristle filament or fluro. Then to the end of the fluro I use a thin braid and whip it on with a blood knot. Then slide it up against the blob and it does not pull over it. Then tie your loop in the braid for the stop. Then just tie a knot less knot and loop knot onto a swivel and your away. :lol:

Not ideal for leaving baits for a long period of time but if you make up some cork ball pop ups that solves that.

If you don't mind piercing the baits, something I do is blob the end of the bristle filament or fluro. Then to the end of the fluro I use a thin braid and whip it on with a blood knot. Then slide it up against the blob and it does not pull over it. Then tie your loop in the braid for the stop. Then just tie a knot less knot and loop knot onto a swivel and your away. :lol:

Not ideal for leaving baits for a long period of time but if you make up some cork ball pop ups that solves that.

Or use the DSM pop ups that have stayed up for more than 48hours and I am sure would have done more - thats pierced!

just a quick question about chod rig components really .

in an ideal world i would like to pair up some 25lb esp stiff link material with a size 8 barbed or micro-barbed hook .

the question IS ... in your opinion WHICH size 8 hook would YOU use ?

there is more to this but i`d like to see some suggestions first before i reveal the reason for this question.

thanking you gentlemen in advance as always .

i use bristle fillament in 15lb but i use a whipping knot. you only go through the eye of the hook twice and i find it sits much straighter than a knotless knot.

doug

Snell or Domhoff knot is the way to go, like Doug says only twice through the eye. Personally seeing as the hook is sitting below the bait i like to use a bigger hook and very rarely go below a 5 or a six. Had nearly 50 fish in the last few weeks with most of them being mid double size all on size 6s with 15mm pop ups.

Thanks fellas , that's why I love this forum so much . Never a shortage of friendly advice and suggestions .

Especially on a subject that does get a lot of coverage .

Unlike some places .... Hope there's plenty more to come too :P

Snell or Domhoff knot is the way to go, like Doug says only twice through the eye. Personally seeing as the hook is sitting below the bait i like to use a bigger hook and very rarely go below a 5 or a six. Had nearly 50 fish in the last few weeks with most of them being mid double size all on size 6s with 15mm pop ups.

Matching the hook to the bait is a big part of the chod rig in my eyes. I like to use the biggest hook I can and as you say jez, a 6 is great with a 15mm popup. If using a 'tic tac' I like to drop to an 8 or even 9. That's when I drop down to the ultima link.

Jamie - one of the most buoyant popups I've ever seen that doesn't contain cork!

• 2 weeks later...

Matching the hook to the bait is s big part of the chod rig in my eyes. I like to use the biggest hook I can and as you say jez, a 6 is great with a 15mm popup. If using a 'tic tac' I like to drop to an 8 or even 9. That's when I drop down to the ultima link.

Jamie - one of the most buoyant popups I've ever seen that doesn't contain cork!

At the risk of making myself look very stupid.......What is a Tic-Tac.?

I shouldnt have to ask this considering I was on the social when mick took the place apart on them.......but i'm very good at taking no notice of things i should be looking at..... :oops::lol: