YES--another chod rig question (sorry)

andytuppen

Tying chod rig for first time. How much istance should their be between the two flexi beads either side of the chod rig itself? And approx on average how far should the first flexi bead be away from the lead? and what know would you use to tie the stiff link to the flexi swivel? THANKS :D

the bead between the lead and swivel is just free running and the bead above the swivel is set high enough so when the lead sinks in the rig wont get pulled in with it.

i've only just started using this rig to and been using gardner tripwire which seems pretty good

dan

Material wise mate, I feel these are the best to use

!) Esp stiff rigger's Mrk2. Because these are a straight pointed hook you will defintley prick more carp howver you will also drop a few compared to a beaked pointed hook. So its all down to your own perssonel choice.

2) Esp size 11 swivel these are the best free rotating swivel ouy there in my view.

3) Korda Mouth trap in all breaking strains i tend to use 15 and 20lb i think it holds the aggressive curve much better and longer than any other stiff rig material.

4) Your leader material such as leadcore,etc is down to your personnel choice again both leadcore and flourocarbon straight through have there advantages and i fish both depending on the sitiuation..

The distance between the to beads really depends on what your fishing over.

For instance if im fishing into weed or chod i will set my top bead (the furtherest away from the lead) around 2-3 feet from lead its self. This is so if they weed or chod is thick or tall etc your rig always fly back to this bead (furtherest away from the lead) it will always settle down on top of what ever your fishing over.And always put on a pva foam nugget. :)

These days many people tend to fish this rig in clean unchoddy gravel etc it is very effective when fished over a wide spread of dark boiles with hi vis popup. I tend to move the top bead closer to the lead and set it no more than 12" away from the lead this is purely to bring the lead into play sooner.

I would'nt say the chod is an easy rig to fish with even though its very simple to construct. It takes practise and time on the bank to understand whats happening with your rig underwater and the type of bite indication your getting but when you get it right this is an awesome rig and to be honest its rarely i fish anything else..

There are many idea's of the right way to use the chod and which materials to use in my mind these are what suit me and therefore may not suit another so take on board what you will and get out on the bank when it comes right you will know it. :wink::)

i bumped into jim shelley on my syndicate lake at the end of the season and asked him to show me how he ties his chods,it was as follows.6-8ft of leadcore(i use 6ft),bottom bead 1ft from the lead/top bead 6"-1ft from the top of leadcore,smallest ring swivels you can get your hands on,4mm rig ring on the D rig,25lb korda mouth trap,hook length between 2.5 and 3 inches,hooks esp stiff riggers mk2,atomic chodda.ive now been tying it this way since and my catch rate has gone up fourfold,i use the atomic chodda's in size 6(straight point) and jrc mbt4 in size 4(beaked point).not saying this is the be all and end all but that did come from the chod father himself.good luck with which ever way you choose

Thanks lads good detailed posts their that helped alot!!

The one thing I will say, and sorry Emmcee, personal experience has taught me NEVER to use Leadcore again.

Andy, there are plenty of leadcore threads round at the moment, with other links available that I recommend you look at. The general advice is to avoid leadcore, and more and more anglers are hopefully getting the message that it is risky stuff and should not be used in fishing.

there is no need to be sorry nick,you have your opinons on leadcore and i respect them as do many others and i have read all the threads on leadcore and they have taught me its not to be messed with,the one thing that i make sure of 100% of the time when using leadcore with the chod is that the rig will come off with the minimal amount of pressure leaving the fish in the event of a crack of or line parting just the rig in its mouth.i have now changed to tubing when fishing simple lead clip/in line set ups thanks to what i have read/seen on here,which is something as i was a staunch leadcore user.

Thanks lads good detailed posts their that helped alot!!

The one thing I will say, and sorry Emmcee, personal experience has taught me NEVER to use Leadcore again.

Andy, there are plenty of leadcore threads round at the moment, with other links available that I recommend you look at. The general advice is to avoid leadcore, and more and more anglers are hopefully getting the message that it is risky stuff and should not be used in fishing.

Thanks, i shall have a gander. DO i just run my fingers down the hooklink to make the bend or do i steam it? How do you steam anyway including steaming shrink tubing not that im using it on this rig but for future refrence as im making all my own rigs now. Thanks!

i run my fingers up and down the rig really fast until i can feel it literally burning my fingers this makes the mouth trap pliable,i then make the curve while its warm.failing that get a gardener mini rig bin,put your rig in iy and steam them it curves up spot on

i bumped into jim shelley on my syndicate lake at the end of the season and asked him to show me how he ties his chods,it was as follows.6-8ft of leadcore(i use 6ft),bottom bead 1ft from the lead/top bead 6"-1ft from the top of leadcore,smallest ring swivels you can get your hands on,4mm rig ring on the D rig,25lb korda mouth trap,hook length between 2.5 and 3 inches,hooks esp stiff riggers mk2,atomic chodda.ive now been tying it this way since and my catch rate has gone up fourfold,i use the atomic chodda's in size 6(straight point) and jrc mbt4 in size 4(beaked point).not saying this is the be all and end all but that did come from the chod father himself.good luck with which ever way you choose

Good replie mate but i started chod fishing coping Jim's style years ago fishing light leads 1-1.5oz and lengths of leadcore upto 10ft long (yes you've read it right lads) i fished the same setup as jim exsplained to me and found it had advantages and disadvantages, the reason behind using such a long length of leadcore is its the lenght and weight of the leadcore that hooks the fish not the lead as it the last thing to come into play.

I don't and never will use such a long lenght of leadcore again for certain reasons as it very difficult to cast it out and be target with such a long length and i think its unsafe and careless to do so. However like you i will contiune to use leadcore upto 4-6ft depending on the situation or flourocarbon straight through again depending on the situation im faced with..

It seems to me nearly everyone on this forum is againest the use of leadcore for 1 reason or another. I think to many people are to quick to jump on the band wagon without having any knowledge of the product. So i put this to you all .... If its that bad Magazines would'nt feature it. Every Top well known angler thats in the public eye would be againest it. And tackle companies would'nt produce it.... Tell me why??????

I don't mean to get peoples backs ups and i dont mean to be a bore.. :lol::lol:

cheers mate! If i made a nice curve with something could i steam it then? How long do you steam it for before you ruin the line?

Get a Solar rig cone you can steam it at various curves of your choice without getting burn't.. steam for around 20-30 seconds not to close or you will melt it :( and then allow to cool before taking it off wait for about the same time again to do this :)

cheers mate! If i made a nice curve with something could i steam it then? How long do you steam it for before you ruin the line?

Get a Solar rig cone you can steam it at various curves of your choice without getting burn't.. steam for around 20-30 seconds not to close or you will melt it :( and then allow to cool before taking it off wait for about the same time again to do this :)

Cheers mate big help! Will give it a go tomoz! Looking forward to making them and trying them out!!

Good replie mate but i started chod fishing coping Jim's style years ago fishing light leads 1-1.5oz and lengths of leadcore upto 10ft long (yes you've read it right lads) i fished the same setup as jim exsplained to me and found it had advantages and disadvantages, the reason behind using such a long length of leadcore is its the lenght and weight of the leadcore that hooks the fish not the lead as it the last thing to come into play.

I don't and never will use such a long lenght of leadcore again for certain reasons as it very difficult to cast it out and be target with such a long length and i think its unsafe and careless to do so. However like you i will contiune to use leadcore upto 4-6ft depending on the situation or flourocarbon straight through again depending on the situation im faced with..

It seems to me nearly everyone on this forum is againest the use of leadcore for 1 reason or another. I think to many people are to quick to jump on the band wagon without having any knowledge of the product. So i put this to you all .... If its that bad Magazines would'nt feature it. Every Top well known angler thats in the public eye would be againest it. And tackle companies would'nt produce it.... Tell me why??????

I don't mean to get peoples backs ups and i dont mean to be a bore.. :lol::lol:

Chris,

I took the trouble to do a load of experiments with leadcore, in and out of the water, and sorry to say it, I even troubled to e-mail one of the magazines who featured leadcore rigs, and to be honest the reply I got was less than explanatory. The magazines have been promoting unsafe leadcore set-ups, so YES the magazines do make light or ignore the potential risks of its use. Not only do they ignore the risks they don't explain the safety aspects of WHERE and how to use it properly.

Many items of tackle are sold simply because of the money that they make. You don't need a fluorcarbon leader in most fishing, it doesn't always disappear and can be visible underwater. At much above 40metres I reckon the line is running down in an arc and along the lakebed anyway, a clear or camouflaged line is less visible against the lakebed. Leadcore stands out against the lakebed, a 1mm visible line or a 0.35mm line that is hard to distinguish.

Lead clips, you don't necessarily need them, they don't always do the job said on the tin, yet are seen as the way to attach lead to the line for all purposes.

In fact the simplest way to catch carp is often to forget what is published and go back to basics, mainline straight through, with a simple running link lead to a basic rig, be it on mono or whatever.

This is the thread where I queried the use and article:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38886&highlight=advanced+carp+fishing

As for the curved section, when I have to resort to using "The short rig" (as Frank Warwick christened it I think), I still use 15lb clear Amnesia for the hooklink, a loop knot to the swivel and it will curve nicely; A) by the natural curve from coming off the spool, and B) by body heat and being rubbed over my thumb.

A fish is likely to approach the hookbait from an above angle, so the hooklink is not visible anyway. I can also use that short rig on my preferred running lead set-up, and do so with no problems on harder lakebeds; although the reason for using a helicopter set-up is usually because of one of 2 reasons:

a) silty lakebed where I feel the lead will sink in and may pull the hooklink down into it below feeding level

b) I am aiming for maximum distance casting, where I need the lead to pull the rig along in flight tangle free.