YES--another chod rig question (sorry)

andytuppen

i bumped into jim shelley on my syndicate lake at the end of the season and asked him to show me how he ties his chods,it was as follows.6-8ft of leadcore(i use 6ft),bottom bead 1ft from the lead/top bead 6"-1ft from the top of leadcore,smallest ring swivels you can get your hands on,4mm rig ring on the D rig,25lb korda mouth trap,hook length between 2.5 and 3 inches,hooks esp stiff riggers mk2,atomic chodda.ive now been tying it this way since and my catch rate has gone up fourfold,i use the atomic chodda's in size 6(straight point) and jrc mbt4 in size 4(beaked point).not saying this is the be all and end all but that did come from the chod father himself.good luck with which ever way you choose

Good replie mate but i started chod fishing coping Jim's style years ago fishing light leads 1-1.5oz and lengths of leadcore upto 10ft long (yes you've read it right lads) i fished the same setup as jim exsplained to me and found it had advantages and disadvantages, the reason behind using such a long length of leadcore is its the lenght and weight of the leadcore that hooks the fish not the lead as it the last thing to come into play.

I don't and never will use such a long lenght of leadcore again for certain reasons as it very difficult to cast it out and be target with such a long length and i think its unsafe and careless to do so. However like you i will contiune to use leadcore upto 4-6ft depending on the situation or flourocarbon straight through again depending on the situation im faced with..

It seems to me nearly everyone on this forum is againest the use of leadcore for 1 reason or another. I think to many people are to quick to jump on the band wagon without having any knowledge of the product. So i put this to you all .... If its that bad Magazines would'nt feature it. Every Top well known angler thats in the public eye would be againest it. And tackle companies would'nt produce it.... Tell me why??????

I don't mean to get peoples backs ups and i dont mean to be a bore.. :lol::lol:

not only that but look at the anglers that use leadcore,some people say shelley is a fish at all costs angler,never experienced that with him myself,terry hearn,ian chillcot to name just a couple.chillcot is all for carp welfare as we know with ECHO so why would he use something that is "so harmful to fish"

Emmence i totally agree im sure Echo would have major issues if it was as bad as some people say it is bad.

So to all that disagree with the use of leadcore we will have agree to disagree why should i change the way i fish, when i fish this setup very effectively catch alot of carp on it and have never caused any harm to carp.

Andy mate i dont think i mentioned the problems you may have in relation to materials mate, size 6 stiffriggers when using 20-25lb mouthtrap i find it impossiable to do the knotless not and then pass it back through the eye. However if you use a Korda choody size 6 you can do this with no problems at all i use 15lb mouthtrap if im using Esp size 6 stiffriggers,

Anyway Andy you good advice from everyone so take on board what you will and create a setup that catches you fish and somthing you feel 100% confident using... Like i have said it's an awesome rig and get it right it will catch you alot of fish mate.

So good luck and tightlines

Emmence i totally agree im sure Echo would have major issues if it was as bad as some people say it is bad.

So to all that disagree with the use of leadcore we will have agree to disagree why should i change the way i fish, when i fish this setup very effectively catch alot of carp on it and have never caused any harm to carp.

Andy mate i dont think i mentioned the problems you may have in relation to materials mate, size 6 stiffriggers when using 20-25lb mouthtrap i find it impossiable to do the knotless not and then pass it back through the eye. However if you use a Korda choody size 6 you can do this with no problems at all i use 15lb mouthtrap if im using Esp size 6 stiffriggers,

Anyway Andy you good advice from everyone so take on board what you will and create a setup that catches you fish and somthing you feel 100% confident using... Like i have said it's an awesome rig and get it right it will catch you alot of fish mate.

So good luck and tightlines

Chris,

I used to fish bent hooks, didn't see much damage, but long before they were banned, stopped using them, because of the fact that on some fish they had definitely caused major mouth damage, and anglers had expressed concerns in the magazines (no forums around all those years ago). I DIDN'T cause harm to the fish I was fishing for (large carp over 20lb+), but the pattern or use did cause mouth damage to plenty of smaller carp with smaller mouths.

Sorry, leadcore CAN cause damage to carp, some not immediately apparent, as well as the obvious tethering. Leadcore is abrasive, and can rub a "blister" or burn type scar on the fish. I have caught fish, when I was using leadcore that hadn't been caught for years, yet when I landed them there were fresh red marks on the flank where the leader would rub, and NO fresh hookholds in the mouth, or on another fish , what looked like black lines across the flanks.

Levigsp, who is also a very good angler and has landed some big (no publicity style) fish has also done experiments and seen the same sort of damage that I mention.

Moorsey has also had to kill a fish that had picked up a rig attached to leadcore (helicopter style as well) and the fish could not eject the rig. It had passed through a number of weedbeds, and what started off as a small twig was totally engulfed in weed, and the fish had a broken jaw preventing it from ever feeding again.

For the rest of the argument on Leadcore I will pass onto this thread:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32598, and also do a copy and paste, cos this thread will go nowhere further if we are just making the same arguments again.