Crimps

zammmo

Funny this as i was sat playing with crimps and 18/20lb stiff links yesterday when bored out of my tiny little mind lol. Very strong joints and on testing with some Korda pullers the material was breaking on the swivel not the crimp. Did a couple of chods with it and managed to snap the hook in half before the material so i guess in a fishing situation where you would put no where as near much pressure you would be fine. Fox do some crimps which are designed for mono use in sea fishing you can get most stiff links three times through these for a bit of extra security.

Jez

Funny this as i was sat playing with crimps and 18/20lb stiff links yesterday when bored out of my tiny little mind lol. Very strong joints and on testing with some Korda pullers the material was breaking on the swivel not the crimp. Did a couple of chods with it and managed to snap the hook in half before the material so i guess in a fishing situation where you would put no where as near much pressure you would be fine. Fox do some crimps which are designed for mono use in sea fishing you can get most stiff links three times through these for a bit of extra security.

Jez

jez, i have been told the crimps can shatter fluro? not sure how true this is though but bare it in mind mate. i am going to get the crimps and pliers soon cause i keep hearing how good they are and that the crimp is stronger than any knot you can use

• 1 year later...

My mate got the wychwood ones at christmas and we made some small choddys up today with E.S.P bristel filament and they look really tidy and after giving them a good pull im confident that there really strong 8)

If me and the mate carnt break em i doubt a fish will :wink:

• 1 month later...

I tried the new Korda crimps 0.6 with 0.6 mono, and i guess it slides away because after hooking some rock or tree on the bottom there was just my lead-clip on my mainline after a small traction ....

Better that, it would have been a worth decption on a fish

Not really convinced :(

PS : sorry for my poor english writing

I think you will find they are not made to use with mono line

Why? I don't see what difference it makes. Although I would crimp it on a tight line so you didnt lose diameter under tension from stretch.

Me personally, I'm not convinced but I was not convinced by splicing lead core and that worked. I think pop ups are un natural but they work also. As does having the bait on a hair, I didn't like the idea of that much either. I'll buy a set in about 3 years once im sure they are ok :lol:

I think you will find they are not made to use with mono line

Why? I don't see what difference it makes. Although I would crimp it on a tight line so you didnt lose diameter under tension from stretch.

Me personally, I'm not convinced but I was not convinced by splicing lead core and that worked. I think pop ups are un natural but they work also. As does having the bait on a hair, I didn't like the idea of hat much either. I'll buy a set in about 3 years once im sure they are ok :lol:

Because they say so-The Krimps and Krimp tool have been designed to allow easy rig construction with stiff materials (at the moment we only recommend Hybrid Stiff and Mouth Trap).

Pasted from their web site

• 1 month later...

Ive just bought some and have spent the last hour playing about with different materials (It was either that or work ).......Seem to be fine, with everything but braid, and the soft coated braid..... But one thing is confusing me.... I know they dont recommend usage on Flouro or making loops with them but Ive just made three 6" legnths of flouro with loops on both ends, just to test and on all 3 i managed to snap each legnth pretty much in the centre of the flouro. no-where near the actual crimp, and none of the loops gave way either. I was using pullers and in my opinion I wasnt putting as much pressure on the flouro as i normally do when im normally setting my knots....

Am I missing something obvious here,,, but I'm pretty sure i wasnt putting enough pressure on the line to snap it, so why would it go centrally. ??

Grim.....