Small hooks - hookpulls?

josh_reynolds

I have had a few hook pulls when using size 10 esp raptors, I never had any with size 9 drennan barbel hooks. All the fish I have caught this year have been very lightly hooked, although I think this may be to do with the running rigs? Also this year i have recently brought some shimano navis', before I was using 6000 bait runners. Could this cause hook pulls?

The only thing is, my local shop doesn't really have much choice in hooks, would like to use the barbel hooks again, but have to travel about 4 miles to get them and not having a mode of transport (except a bike!) it's not really possible.

I have had a few hook pulls when using size 10 esp raptors, I never had any with size 9 drennan barbel hooks. All the fish I have caught this year have been very lightly hooked, although I think this may be to do with the running rigs? Also this year i have recently brought some shimano navis', before I was using 6000 bait runners. Could this cause hook pulls?

The only thing is, my local shop doesn't really have much choice in hooks, would like to use the barbel hooks again, but have to travel about 4 miles to get them and not having a mode of transport (except a bike!) it's not really possible.

Lazy get on your bike and get them :D

Well what do you suggest then?

Unless you start forging your own hooks then your a bit stuck aren't you.

You could order online or through a catalogue if you can get someone to pay on their card for you. Or get your local shop to order you some in.

It is the hooks, the drennan barbel hooks are much better than the raptors as you have now found out for yourself so either get off your backside or lose fish. I am sure you will survive a cycle ride through a nature reserve in the middle of the day.

Those 9 months have served me well :D on another note josh, i use the raptors in either a size 5 or 6 on running rigs with a max lead size of 2.5oz. i also use a clutch system on shimano super ultegras and never had a hook pull yet. oh i also use solar line clips, much better indication and it sets the hook when your late on the rods.

I use Fox series 2 carp match hooks in a size 12 for my surface fishing...I haven't had one pull on me yet :wink:

Last week I got into a bit of a mess with a mid double fish, and some reeds! The fish got down a channel between 2 sets of reeds on the take, and managed to bury itself into the other side of the near reeds. Couldn't do anything about it! If i pulled, it was pulling the fish INTO the reeds. So I slacked everything off, and called the baliff who came down with some waders. After ~40mins I got the fish into the net!! The hook held very well! Even with the slack line - Pretty much opened out the hook tho! :lol:

korda 10s are not true 10s more like 8s in other tackle brands- fox, drennan etc.

ever compared a size 10 korda kurvshank and a size 10 gardner mugga? they are supposedly the same hook but there is a massive difference in sizes!

Josh,

Think outside the box mate :wink:

Don't necessarily blame the hook, when it may actually be a rig problem.

If you are hooking at the very extreme of the lip, and/or getting hookpulls, then the fish may not be feeding comfortably, or the hook/bait may not be going in deep enough. It may be that you need to lengthen the hair, or feed more to get the fish pre-occupied again. Extremely unlikely to be because you are using a Running rig, because the rig is not fixed at a set length, but the line is running it will not be pulled back as such.

Had a thought though, if you are fishing over LARGE beds of bait, pellets and particles etc, then you may need to provoke a run, so a Semi-fixed lead set-up may be in order.

Think you may need to see how the fish feed without casting in on them, and then see if they behave the same if a baited rig is among them.

As for particular hooks, I only use brands that I trust, and that does not include Korda (sorry to all you Korda lovers :P ). I'll stick to Nailers, Centurions, and ESP Raptors, the hooks I use most, although for pop-ups I get out the Kamasan B175's.

I test all my tackle before it gets onto the fishing situation, and then if it passes that it gets used on a small fish water.

As for 4 miles on a bike, flipping heck, I do that for fun :wink::twisted:

I go school 5 days a week, the shop shuts at 5 30, so I cant go then, I work on saturdays untill 5 30, so I cannot get to the shop whilst its open. I would order some, but my parents wont let me use their debit cards all the time. Also no realtives live anywhere near the shop, they are further away than me! There is also no public transport to the shop. If I could possibly get there, I would!

The shop wont order any hooks in as they rarley do orders from drennan/esp, as there is little demand for the products in the shop this is due to it being leaned towards match/pleasure fishing, most carp anglers around here have to travel (by car) to a different tackleshop.

On another note, i never had any hookpulls whilst using the ESP curve shank hooks in size 10, it just seemed to be the raptors

Josh,

If you are hooking at the very extreme of the lip, and/or getting hookpulls, then the fish may not be feeding comfortably, or the hook/bait may not be going in deep enough. It may be that you need to lengthen the hair, or feed more to get the fish pre-occupied again. Extremely unlikely to be because you are using a Running rig, because the rig is not fixed at a set length, but the line is running it will not be pulled back as such.

Had a thought though, if you are fishing over LARGE beds of bait, pellets and particles etc, then you may need to provoke a run, so a Semi-fixed lead set-up may be in order.

Think you may need to see how the fish feed without casting in on them, and then see if they behave the same if a baited rig is among them.

As for particular hooks, I only use brands that I trust, and that does not include Korda (sorry to all you Korda lovers :P ). I'll stick to Nailers, Centurions, and ESP Raptors, the hooks I use most, although for pop-ups I get out the Kamasan B175's.

I test all my tackle before it gets onto the fishing situation, and then if it passes that it gets used on a small fish water.

Hi mate, I am using fake corn, the hooks and the weight of the link just about sink the bait, so i would of thought the carp will have taken it right back due to how light the bait is? Also, i am just using small pva bags on the hook for feed, any amount of bait in this lake kills it in my opinion, too much disturbance.

Like the Korda dig as well 8)8)8):twisted:

josh if your talking about irlthingbourough your brothers going down on friday

Dan, I do know what my own brother is doing you know, I do not need you to tell me :roll:

Websters is not the shop I am going, that is the shop that is understocked, they sell hardly anything in there :wink::roll:

Josh,

Hi mate, I am using fake corn, the hooks and the weight of the link just about sink the bait, so i would of thought the carp will have taken it right back due to how light the bait is? Also, i am just using small pva bags on the hook for feed, any amount of bait in this lake kills it in my opinion, too much disturbance.

Like the Korda dig as well 8)8)8):twisted:

Just because the bait is light and only just sinks the hook and link does not mean that the Carp aren't wary of it. :wink:

If the Carp are only just sucking and blowing on a short link or short hair, then they can still only take it in as far as it will go, just because it is light does not mean that it will go all the way back.

You say you are fishing withjust PVA bags, you may well have got Carp that are used to being fished for like that, and as a result are wary of the bait, and especially the hookbait, which is why you are getting hookpulls.

Try on 1 rod a bed of bait, forget about the disturbance putting it in, sweetcorn doesn't make that much disturbing splash, even less if you can tip it into the margins by hand rather than cattie it out :wink:

The Carp may actually think "dinner bell" when the splash comes anyway.

If they are still scared of the disturbance, then the obvious answer is to lengthen your hair rig length:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37416