After spawning

AJW23

Hi, I’m fishing on the 19th of July and all in all it’s costing me £500 for a weekend away fishing, that’s not including bait 🤦‍♂️ anyway I want to make the most of the fishing and the pod I’m currently booked on hold a lot of weed from bottom to surface in areas. The fish started to spawn around the 20th of June, obviously around my peg 😂 with fish going to deeper water after spawning I’m just curious to know is it worth me moving to the deeper water or will the 2 week period from them fishing and me getting there be enough time for them to come back into the weedy area? 

thanks in advance. 

The location/depth of the fish will be determined largely by the conditions on the day mate. If I had to choose I personally would stick to the shallower areas. High chance of decent warm sunny conditions in July.

I can't recall seeing fish moving consistently to deeper areas after spawning in 25 years of carp angling. They go where they're comfortable and where the food is imo.

normally they just laze about in the weed to recover.

One of the problems with pre booking of swims IMO

you can’t necessarily get where the fish are unless the owner will let you move and that depends if anyone else is on at the same time.

anyway,

good luck, and I really hope the fish are in your area and you catch ‘em. Hopefully all the spawning will be done and dusted by then.

Edited by framey

1 hour ago, framey said:

One of the problems with pre booking of swims IMO

you can’t necessarily get where the fish are unless the owner will let you move and that depends if anyone else is on at the same time.

anyway,

good luck, and I really hope the fish are in your area and you catch ‘em. Hopefully all the spawning will be done and dusted by then.

My local has spawned twice this year already and its driving me nuts, both times it kicked off early hours when I was booked on 🤷‍♂️🤣 

15 hours ago, AJW23 said:

Hi, I’m fishing on the 19th of July and all in all it’s costing me £500 for a weekend away fishing, that’s not including bait 🤦‍♂️ anyway I want to make the most of the fishing and the pod I’m currently booked on hold a lot of weed from bottom to surface in areas. The fish started to spawn around the 20th of June, obviously around my peg 😂 with fish going to deeper water after spawning I’m just curious to know is it worth me moving to the deeper water or will the 2 week period from them fishing and me getting there be enough time for them to come back into the weedy area? 

thanks in advance. 

Fish will be Fish and be where they want to be.

The fish in my lake started to spawn around 8th May, then stopped, then got it on again last week.

I don't think the fish 'move to deeper' water, they just go back to normal behaviour. Some fish are resident, live and hold most of the time in a particular area, then probably the majority move around dependant on food and conditions.

July is normally pretty warm in this country, and I would be looking around the edges of the weed in ALL areas of my lake, which is between 2 and 8feet deep.

18 hours ago, framey said:

In my experience they get on the feed big time. Most of the waters I've fished close for a period for spawning (rightly so) but I've had seasons where they spawn so late they're only just finished by the time the lake opens. I've had, and seen others have, absolutely massive hits during this period. They just go mental and feed their heads off. Food is a huge part of their recovery process, they need it. They start growing the following years eggs almost immediately so they need the grub to fuel this process.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

In my experience they get on the feed big time. Most of the waters I've fished close for a period for spawning (rightly so) but I've had seasons where they spawn so late they're only just finished by the time the lake opens. I've had, and seen others have, absolutely massive hits during this period. They just go mental and feed their heads off. Food is a huge part of their recovery process, they need it. They start growing the following years eggs almost immediately so they need the grub to fuel this process.

The other thing is that if the weather stays hot, some of the fish may actually spawn a few times, totally emptying out, hence why some waters close again and again or request anglers not to fish particular areas.

I can remember so many years, in the old close season days, where on June 16th the carp were more interested in each other.

I've seen fish spawning and within minutes of finishing are at the other end of the lake clearing out feeding spots, be it bait, snails or bloodworm. 

I've actually been at Ardleigh where some fish were spawning, yet others were feeding up.

Pretty much the only time that the female fish have no eggs in them is immediately after spawning.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

if the weather stays hot, some of the fish may actually spawn a few times

Nah that's not right mate. Spawning is temperature dependent. Once you hit 18 degrees water temps it's game on. It's when the temps are inconsistent (much like this year) that they start and stop and start again. In a perfect world it gets warm, stays warm, and they get it out of the way pretty quickly. They tend to spawn in year groups (often youngest first with the older big fish last) so it can appear even in periods of sustained warm weather that they're stopping and starting.

4 hours ago, yonny said:

humans tend to sleep lol

i found they do go feeding mad but not straight after.

21 hours ago, yonny said:

Nah that's not right mate. Spawning is temperature dependent. Once you hit 18 degrees water temps it's game on. It's when the temps are inconsistent (much like this year) that they start and stop and start again. In a perfect world it gets warm, stays warm, and they get it out of the way pretty quickly. They tend to spawn in year groups (often youngest first with the older big fish last) so it can appear even in periods of sustained warm weather that they're stopping and starting.

I used to think that but after watching the waters, it's  not just temperature dependant. After talking to the Symonds family about Homersfield and watching lakes myself, with known fish, Brackens, current syndicate, Taverham, and a few more, they do stop and start.

Also I've seen carp spawn below 18⁰C once the required daylight hours are reached, around May 8th.

Brackens, they actually started spawning while I was there, but a rain shower dropped the water temperature so much they stopped and they didn't start again until a couple of weeks later.

Again, that happened this year on my syndicate, weeks between first going in May and finally going properly last week. Last year Chestnut was seen spawning at least twice by me, and her weight was up and down, 42lb, 44lb, 39lb, 36lb, with a second bout of spawning between the two lowest weights. She was caught earlier this year at her normal 42/43lb.

Also, check out the Carp Society's Horseshoe, that has been closed a few times this year as they have spawned a few times.

2 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I've seen carp spawn below 18⁰C once the required daylight hours are reached, around May 8th.

Scientifically they only need 14, but it's party time at 18.

3 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Brackens, they actually started spawning while I was there, but a rain shower dropped the water temperature so much they stopped and they didn't start again until a couple of weeks later.

So temp dependant then.....

4 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Again, that happened this year on my syndicate

This year is the perfect example. Got warm then got cold then got warm again. Temp dependant.

4 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Also, check out the Carp Society's Horseshoe, that has been closed a few times this year as they have spawned a few times.

Again, perfect example. Temp dependant.

On 27/06/2024 at 12:23, yonny said:

This year is the perfect example. Got warm then got cold then got warm again. Temp dependant.

On 27/06/2024 at 12:23, yonny said:

Yes, but you are missing out on Chestnut, she definitely spawned, stopped and then started again.

Horseshoe, they've been and spawned at least three times this year alone. That will include stop, restart and some going again.

Even Rod Hutchinson mentioned it when he had the big mirror from the 'secret' lake, she'd been seen spawning earlier in the year, it was late in the year then was going off again just before he caught her and was dropping eggs in the sack. It's likely she was 40 when he caught her, but had dropped to 39 something when he weighed her. 

This is a quote from Ben Gratwicke:

What temperature does the water have to be for the carp to spawn?
“18şC and above for successful continued spawning, although if the water drops once spawning has begun a carp will continue.”

Do carp spawn more than once a year?
“A female could potentially spawn three to four times if they’re lucky and obviously this is weather dependent. And that same healthy young female, as a rule of thumb, will lay 100,000 eggs per kilo of body.”:

If the temperature stays high through summer then carp will spawn as late as August/September on and off.