Monster Carp and Baiting.

I was watching a Monster Carp in Hungary re-run on ITV4 and laughed at 'pest control' Spooner catching tiny carp on massive baits and hooks, with long hairs and with their  baiting.

Years ago I saw an article with somebody catching Carp on a bare hook over hemp, and tried it myself

The fish were feeding so heavily on the hemp that the hook was sucked in. Feeding loads of groundbait, hemp and tiny particles can be the cause of this happening as it was on Monster Carp. You can just as easily catch roach or rudd on this method, (and I have). The hookbait was not catching (or attracting) fish it was the groundbait background feed.

To avoid the smaller fish, stop the groundbait and feed just boilies.

Anymore thoughts?

I used to fish for barbel with a quarter of a tin of spam! (The photo is only a sixth of a tin) The first time you cast it out, you feel like a complete noddy and can't believe it's going to work. I also caught plenty of chub as well. The photo is a genuine dropped run - you normally fish the bail arm open and allow a few seconds for the fish to get the bait into it's gob properly.

11464985396_37522afc73_o.jpg

i really only fish a small local day ticket place and in fairness whilst learning the ropes with all the boilies and different rigs when starting out i just felt i couldn't get anything right. strangely i have found on this water using random stuff like hotdogs or spam covered in siracha works an absolute treat when most people are lucking out using a boilie only approach.

i do find that using solid bags filled with a mix of maggots, sweetcorn and a bit of groundbait also help and have just started trying maggot clips as a hair stop and that actually worked which surprised me :)