No it cannot be too heavy you just need to use the clutch or wind backwards 

what reels do you have ?

there are 2 types that cover “most” anglers fishing rear drag or front drag 

use this as a guide for the line

https://tacklebox.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/line_tests_issue_13h.pdf

a clear water with no snags you could  use 10lb (around 5kg) line 

a lot of bits in the water you may need the stronger line

0.3/0.35 are general all round lines

It's what Framey has typed - ignore the quoted breaking strain and go by the thickness i.e. 0.40 as Ouch. says . 

You need a thicker line for abrasion resistance against the branches ; a thinner line may well break at the same figure , but with a straight pull on a weed / snag free water .

😀

7 hours ago, elisabeth said:

Hi, so I have a 3,60 m 3,5 lb carp rod and I was wondering what line I should use to catch carp with it? I bought a 8,4 kg (18,5lb) line, but im not sure if it's okay. I plan to fish on lakes and ponds. Thanks for all. 

The type of water will make a big difference, snaggy, clear, whether you need to cast long distances. 

15lb 0.35-0.38mm is probably the standard, and newer lines co-polymer are more abrasion resistant than nylon monofilament.

I pretty much use 15lb on most waters where I'm carp fishing for carp over 20lb. For smaller fish up to say 20lb, it will be 10lb on a lighter rod.

• 6 months later...

I’m only used to fishing the canal float style but have a large reservoir near by . I am going to have a bash at the carp in there . I’ve spoken to dedicated fishermen who camp there for days and they even have names for the large carp they pull out of there  so I know there is some 30/plus pound fish . As I’m new to it I’ve got a few good quality telescopic ten footers and I’m using braided line . Ten lb be ok? There’s no logs /branches , there was a lot of weeds a couple of summers back but it’s all died off till spring I suppose??so should I get some 15/20 lb braid ? I prefer it to the mono .

Someone advise me please???!

10 hours ago, Carl walker said:

I’m only used to fishing the canal float style but have a large reservoir near by . I am going to have a bash at the carp in there . I’ve spoken to dedicated fishermen who camp there for days and they even have names for the large carp they pull out of there  so I know there is some 30/plus pound fish . As I’m new to it I’ve got a few good quality telescopic ten footers and I’m using braided line . Ten lb be ok? There’s no logs /branches , there was a lot of weeds a couple of summers back but it’s all died off till spring I suppose??so should I get some 15/20 lb braid ? I prefer it to the mono .

Use what you are confident in 

you want to go higher with braid 

as a guide

if you look at a decent quality mono around 15lb and use the diameter rather than breaking strain then you can match that to a similar braid. But 30lb will be close enough

19 hours ago, Carl walker said:

Yes thanks the line I ordered is .30mmive done some checking and I think that works out to be around 40 lb? Yet it doesn’t look very thick?.. 

A braid of 0.36mm is around 50lb. I say around as diameters may vary between brand. 

In terms of mono vs braid, I use 15lb, 0.35mm Gardner Pro for carp fishing, I don't like braid for anything other than marker float work, yet for pike fishing it's braid all the way.

With braid, I would suggest using a mono leader, as braid can cut into the fishes flank, if not use around a metre of anti-tangle tubing to prevent that cutting.

The braid you use should be in the diameter of the mono you use, so my 15lb mono is 0.35mm, go for a braid around the same.

I’ve just got 0.30 mono invisible line it says it’s like tiger patterns if you look at it under light green/black kind of ..? I’m going to put it on the rod tomorrow now as I’m new to carp fishing

I usually do canal  I’ve had some stunning large perch like pound and half which is huge for me as it’s normally always little ones  I even try using large hooks an wedge a squillion maggots on it to dissuade the little gits but no , oh no , the little bleeders will swallow the whole thing and most of the time you end up killing them trying to disgorge the hook !