Sorry, but it’s another which reel thread!

So am looking to upgrade my current reels, was looking at the Shimano medium baitrunner, ( about £180 ish), as I like the baitrunner function, but, then looked at the Ultegra 5500, (similar price), no baitrunner, but seems like it covers more bases. Then to make it worse they do a CI4 version which is lighter, but £100 more. Can anybody offer me some advice, anybody used these? What is your opinion? Should I be looking at daiwa? Thanks in advance, Leon

1 hour ago, Leon Dodd said:

Sorry, but it’s another which reel thread!

So am looking to upgrade my current reels, was looking at the Shimano medium baitrunner, ( about £180 ish), as I like the baitrunner function, but, then looked at the Ultegra 5500, (similar price), no baitrunner, but seems like it covers more bases. Then to make it worse they do a CI4 version which is lighter, but £100 more. Can anybody offer me some advice, anybody used these? What is your opinion? Should I be looking at daiwa? Thanks in advance, Leon

There is an alternative option and it is a lot cheaper but still with Shimano.

I use the Beastmaster reels myself, and find the 'Baitrunner spool' is very easy to get used to.

They do handle Nicks abuse, I am hard on my fishing tackle, out in wind, rain, waves and mud, reeling in through thick weed, so they have plenty to deal with.

https://fish.shimano-eu.com/content/fish/eu/gb/en/homepage/Product-detail.P-BEASTMASTER_XB.html/#product_image_2

I would suggest you shop around for best price!

I have played with various reels you mentioned and the Cl4 just seemed too light. It is probably my imagination but they didn't seem strong enough or sturdy enough.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the reply, salo’ . Doesn’t seem like many have an opinion. Need to go have a play. Am leaning towards the medium baitrunner lc though, I want something I enjoy using and hopefully will last me years, might go second hand if I can get a better reel for the money? 

Morning mate, welcome to the forum. Reels are very much personal choice. I’ve used Diawa reels for years and my son uses them still and they stand the test of time. I’ve only trashed one in 20yrs, that was down to my own stupid fault. I’m currently using fox 12000s, which I can’t fault at all. I prefer them over the Diawa reels, but that’s just my personal opinion. I find they balance my fox torque rods perfectly. Shimano are a tried and tested brand, if you can get hold of a reel you like the look of, have a play rather than buy blind if possible. 

1 hour ago, Leon Dodd said:

Thanks for the reply, salo’ . Doesn’t seem like many have an opinion. Need to go have a play. Am leaning towards the medium baitrunner lc though, I want something I enjoy using and hopefully will last me years, might go second hand if I can get a better reel for the money? 

Personally, I would avoid second hand reels unless you know their provenance and life history.

Some may be genuine 'used once only in France', some may be 'I didn't like them'. If the angler didn't like them, then why?

Alternatively they could be absolutely battered and abused!

If you can pick up original Big Baitrunner LC's or Big Blue's, Aerlex's or Biomasters then do so, they were built to last. (I still use original Aerlex 8000's for bass fishing and have one on one of my spod rods)

I worked in a tackle shop for a number of years, and I personally think the newer Shimano reels are not as high quality, nor built to last like the Shimano reels of the 1990-2010 years, with the exception of the cheaper and smaller ST baitrunners, the Beastmasters and the extreme expensive top range.

As has been said, have a play and feel.

2 hours ago, newmarket said:

Always Daiwa 😊

I would usually be always diawa but since BB turned me to the dark side, I'm in love with my okuma 8k reels they are amazing so smooth, so precise I honestly can't fault them at all much better than my shimano aerlex spod reel,and my old diawas only slight neg is they are a little weighty but they spend most of the time on the rests so it doesn't really matter 😂

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

I would usually be always diawa but since BB turned me to the dark side, I'm in love with my okuma 8k reels they are amazing so smooth, so precise I honestly can't fault them at all much better than my shimano aerlex spod reel,and my old diawas only slight neg is they are a little weighty but they spend most of the time on the rests so it doesn't really matter 😂

To be honest mate I’m just a creature of habit , I always used Daiwa’s (and Mitchells of course)whilst growing up .

Ive never had one give up on me and though they never got a great write up at the time due to their dodgy line clips I got my Emcast Evo’s out the other week and they are still in great Nick , got another off fleabay despite Nicks advice above and now I have 3 😊

I also think Okuma are good quality functional affordable reels too . I have an old silvara pro that I use for all my feeder fishing and have recently aquired an Okuma Spod/Marker reel that , although I have yet to use in anger , looks very smart and feel’s indestructible so I’m expecting that to be fine too .

Ive never owned a Shimmy but loads do so I’m sure they’re great too .

not a fan of bait runners in general though but that’s just me .

4 hours ago, newmarket said:

got another off fleabay despite Nicks advice above and now I have 3 😊

I did pick up 2 more Aerlex's off the bay when somebody was silly enough to put a low starting price with the auction finishing at 3am on a Sunday.

Just now, salokcinnodrog said:

I did pick up 2 more Aerlex's off the bay when somebody was silly enough to put a low starting price with the auction finishing at 3am on a Sunday.

It happens mate , I’m always on the lookout for witching hour finishing times for auctions .

tidy profits to be made sometimes as well 😉

18 hours ago, newmarket said:

To be honest mate I’m just a creature of habit , I always used Daiwa’s (and Mitchells of course)whilst growing up .

Ive never had one give up on me and though they never got a great write up at the time due to their dodgy line clips I got my Emcast Evo’s out the other week and they are still in great Nick , got another off fleabay despite Nicks advice above and now I have 3 😊

I also think Okuma are good quality functional affordable reels too . I have an old silvara pro that I use for all my feeder fishing and have recently aquired an Okuma Spod/Marker reel that , although I have yet to use in anger , looks very smart and feel’s indestructible so I’m expecting that to be fine too .

Ive never owned a Shimmy but loads do so I’m sure they’re great too .

not a fan of bait runners in general though but that’s just me .

How much did you pay for your EVO if you don't mind me asking? , I have a set of 3 with spare spools which I am considering selling at the moment,and just wondering what I should ask for them? 

3 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

How much did you pay for your EVO if you don't mind me asking? , I have a set of 3 with spare spools which I am considering selling at the moment,and just wondering what I should ask for them? 

Expect a pm mate

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Highy said:

Hi Guys, 

Been looking at the Shimano Aerlex XTB Reels.... Any one had any views on these.... Reduced from £89.99 to £69.99 at A.D

Yes, and yes.

Very similar to the current Beastmaster reel.

If you can have a play I would reckon they be a decent buy